Do you have a zero withdrawal rate?

I own a boat, a canoe and it is low maintenance. Ready to float the river as soon as it stops raining. I hope in the next few weeks.

If they steal it from the ranch I'll just go buy anothah because I can. LOL

Last edited:
I have been retired since 7/2016, over three years. I have not touched my portfolio and still reinvest dividends. SS is a few years away. Pension is still growing as I am waiting until age 65.

My rentals provide a lot of cash, more than I need, and I have been spending quite a bit. I travel 6+ months of the year. I have also purchased a few big ticket items, all cash. I have been doing quite a few capital improvements on them too.

Purchased a 2017 Ford F350 platinum
2015 Keystone Alpine
Florida house on 5 acres
Paid off a rental mortgage of ~$100K

I am planning on hiring out more work, and that will lower the cash available, although rents appear to keep rising.

And I may buy a horse or three...

I quit working in 2007. Last year was the first year I made a 401k withdrawal, this year I took about 4%. We bought a couple of new cars and spent some money on the house.

Next year I don’t think we will need any of the retirement funds, unless I upgrade the plane. Which I’m probably going to do.

We could live just fine on pension and SS, I just started my SS this year at 62. That said we can live even better if we blow a little of that dough.

Yeah Baby! I took 4% of my IRA this year, what would be my age 70.5 RMD at age 64.

Blow That Dough - :)

I won't have a pension or be old enough for SS, so no.

Can’t really answer as only been retired for about 3 months at 61 and have 11 months of severance to go, so still getting paid. Then after that I start Roth conversions, which technically is just funds transfer, but will also be using some until I file for SS. Once SS starts at 69, I will be zero withdrawal for a while, but then RMDs kick in which should be more than we need. So I don’t know! I don’t plan on zero withdrawal, even though I am for the next year or so. I want to spend it.

After reading all the comments IMO a high % with a 0 WR have a pension or cash flow coming monthly or are receiving SS. If no pension, no cash flow and no SS then it is a different ball game.

Right, makes sense. Maybe the OP meant to only ask true ERs and not retirees in general. But then what is anyone living on then? I don’t get it. My plan has always been to have my fixed incomes cover all my expenses and the portfolio for major fun or discretionary or disaster.

Right, makes sense. Maybe the OP meant to only ask true ERs and not retirees in general. But then what is anyone living on then? I don’t get it. My plan has always been to have my fixed incomes cover all my expenses and the portfolio for major fun or discretionary or disaster.

This is our plan as well.

My fixed income covers my health care insurance and my direct TV bill.

What does SIRE stand for? S____ independence retire early?

Prolly obvious, but it’s not clicking.

^ I beleive yes it does. SIRE means you have other income to support your early retirement, like rentals, SS, pension and or royalties etc. other then just a portfolio.

Curious who else has a zero withdrawal rate. Income that meets or exceeds expenses.

My Mom and stepdad are doing that. They both retired back in 2011, with pensions. She had 42 years in with the federal government. He worked for the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission, and was able to take early retirement. Between the two of them, their pension is pretty good, and they haven't had to dip into retirement savings/investments at all. In fact, Mom is about to do her first RMD, and doesn't know what to do with the money.

My grandparents, on both sides of the family, were also like that. On my Dad's side, Granddad was a railroad worker, and they used to get nice pensions. I don't know about nowadays, though. On my Mom's side, they were both federal employees. Granddad retired early, at age 55. I'm not sure how many years he had in, but it was enough. Grandmom retired at age 56, when the federal hospital she worked at shut down. But, she went back to work part time/on call at another hospital. I don't know much about the finances on my Dad's side of the family, but on Mom's side, as Grandmom got into old age, between pensions and SS, and very meager spending, she was saving a pretty good chunk of it. It wasn't until the end, that medical expenses really started eating things up. The last ~9 months of her life probably cost about $50,000, but that included remodeling the bathroom to make it wheelchair accessible, when we thought she would be coming back home, and also her funeral.

My Dad was able to make it on his pensions/SS as well. He didn't make much, as his employment had been spotty. He became a federal employee somewhat late in life, so he was under the new system. But, I think he still had about 20 years in. With that, plus SS, it pretty much covered his expenses. He lived very modestly though.

I guess the recurring theme, for my family at least, is try to find employment in a field where you get a decent pension. And stick with it. Oh, and live modestly.

0% WR

LBYM. Retired against my will. SS, VA. What you get is what you use. Make it work, enjoy life. Beats going 2 WRK. Every day is Saturday. Adjusted from 6 figure income. Still smiling. No need to worry.

LBYM. Retired against my will. SS, VA. What you get is what you use. Make it work, enjoy life. Beats going 2 WRK. Every day is Saturday. Adjusted from 6 figure income. Still smiling. No need to worry.

That's what I tell everyone: Every day is Saturday!

I thought one of the FIRE criteria is to have zero or negative withdraw rate against your nest egg.

It would be more clear if your question applies to after FIRE or before FIRE..

I am still working. This year my projected "withdrawl" will be 25% of my investment return, 6% of my net worth gain, or 1% of my net worth.

My income from my 30% military pension plus some occasional dividends is ~$1,000/month more than my expenses.
The investments (Roth, Traditional plus traditional portfolio) just keep going up. However I'm thinking of taking some out for a home interior updating (hasn't been done in this place since it was built in 1982).

So far, I am at a net negative withdrawal rate, even though I'm taking bout $6k/mo.

Does it mean that you have at least $1M net worth? Assuming 8% YTD growth (1M x 0.08 x 3/4 = 60k / 9 = 6.67k /mo). Much lower if 19% YTD return rate from SP500 is used.

Zero draw

We have done Ok and also lived within our means. Retired at 62.....5 years ago

We raised and put three wonderful kids through college and always planned forsome quality time In our latter years

My spouse has never really had a career but always contributed to achieving our retirement goals

When we had saved enough to live off SS and the interest on our savings we pulled the plug. We have a six figure income and no debt and two homes

We do not invest (gamble) in stocks and will have no problem living out our years comfortably. When we are gone the kids should have a nice bump to their plans for their and grandkids future

Life has had its challenges but we have enjoyed many more good times than bad

Plan well.....execute the plan.....review and repeat

Our income from SS and pensions covers all our regular expenses.
Same Here, once we started SS we did not have to spend from Portfolio - except for one time expenses. And this where it gets tricky. Let's say you need to replace a car; want a new RV and buy vacation property. Would that count as "withdrawal"? You bet.
So I gave up on calculating the WR rate. Watch the spending, steady as she goes.

I'm 64, retired at 60 with several million. Haven't spent any of the principle or growth because I earn $100k consulting one day a week and that's all we need to live on. Just working for fun and to stay challenged and relevant.

Back
Top Bottom