Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^ Yes, that is true. Thanks
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Not taking any withdrawals currently. We have taken funds from DW ira previously. But stopped after I realized we were essentially just moving funds to a taxable investment account. Pensions and rental income cover expenses.
Quicken considers an IRA or 401k withdrawal as just a fund transfer, where you move money from the right pocket to the left pocket, and rightly so. It's not an expense until you actually spend it, and it is certainly not an income like an interest or dividend payment. Same with a Roth conversion.

What I discovered just recently is that it does not classify the tax withholding as a tax expense. That's wrong. It just does not show up anywhere, and is just a phantom loss from my portfolio. I had to make a manual entry to get that properly registered.

Other than that, I just look at the total expenses which Quicken downloads from my checking account, and subtract out my wife SS, the only "income" we have. That's my WR, and that money has to be covered by transfers from other accounts, whether taxable or before-tax, else my checks will bounce.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, Ivansfan, not sure why this seemed to anger you.

I only asked, because today at lunch with some newly retired buddies they asked what kind of withdrawal rates each other was dealing with. I asked what they meant. They said withdrawing from your portfolio to cover your expenses. And I see people here talking about their withdrawal rates and quoting financial articles talking about average withdraw rates.

I told them right now we aren’t needing to withdraw from our portfolio or anything as our income covers our expenses.

Thus, I was curious about this as I am newly retired. Nothing I planned for, it just has ended up this way. So, I was curious about this.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
You have been withdrawing from your portfolio. I’m talking about zero portfolio withdraws. Where your income (SS, pensions, part time job, annuity) covers your annual expenses.

I’m sure that there are several folks here that have 0% or negative withdrawal rates given your criteria. My last few working years were spent working just enough part time hours to meet my expenses.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Adding to the stash, not to the discussion
Old 09-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Adding to the stash, not to the discussion

Since I'm still drawing a paycheck, I don't have to make any PF withdrawals. But since that also means I'm still contributing to a 401k, technically my WR rate isn't zero, it's negative.

However, assuming lots of assumptions such as I will live long enough to start SS at age 70, that my patience isn't punished by a severe haircut, that megacorp's pension doesn't go bust, that inflation remains tame, that we don't take up yacht racing, etc... then at some future point we should have sufficient passive income to get along with zero withdrawals. Ask me again in 10 years.

Question for OP: Do RMDs count if you reinvest them all?
Old 09-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Why do you care? It's not one size fits all.
Yea! Of all the nerve, asking a financial retirement question here.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post

Question for OP: Do RMDs count if you reinvest them all?
Not the OP, but I will not count RMD as withdrawal unless I actually spend it.

I will definitely count the tax withholding as an expense or WR. It shrinks my stash, so how can I ignore it?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Never thought of that since I’m 64. So my curiosity is for prior to that milestone.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

age 50, third week into retirement and have no intention to withdraw from brokerage, Roth, TIRA or roll over IRA accounts.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I read in the news about some California state workers getting pension as high as $390K/yr. And it is even COLA'ed.

No IRA needed for these folks, let alone WR.

You would need an IRA/401k of $10M to get that WR.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:19 PM   #31

essentially a zero withdrawal rate. we live off of SS and pensions, 14-years now. and we're still living waaay beneath our income.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

My annualized spending is 2.34% of my FIRE stash. I have what I refer to as NPI (Non-Portfolio Income) of various sorts (side gigs, etc.) which total 1.72% of my FIRE stash, so my net WR is 0.62%.

However, I make all sorts of adjustments and provisos to get to that number which may not pass muster with anyone else even if they make sense to me.

FIREd, age 50.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:04 PM   #33

Quote:
You have been withdrawing from your portfolio. I’m talking about zero portfolio withdraws. Where your income (SS, pensions, part time job, annuity) covers your annual expenses.
Our income from SS and pensions covers all our regular expenses. However, the RMD is used to pay taxes and gifts for our sons and to charities.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

After this year, pensions, SS, some odds and ends income and .29% WR will cover our planned retirement expenses, though we have talked about upping the WR rate to 1%.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:49 AM   #35
Administrator

We will stop making withdrawals in 2 years when we start taking US and UK SS, and also we will have completed our IRA to Roth conversions. (We currently are receiving 4 private pensions)
Old 09-10-2019, 04:46 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The opposite here. No income streams at all yet, and only SS expected in the far future. So all living expenses are supplied by the portfolio.
+1. WR below 2%.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:56 AM   #37

I'm not FIREd yet, but my current spending is slightly over 1% of my FIRE stash. SS would pay 100% of my expenses, but due to discretionary, I expect to have a 2% WR even at that point and probably close to 4% prior to SS kicking in. Currently, job pays for everything and can save 70%-80% to build stash, so I have a negative withdrawal rate.
GenXguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:27 AM   #38

Quote:
Curious who else has a zero withdrawal rate. Income that meets or exceeds expenses.
My preferred approach is to reject "safe withdrawal rate" as a framework for retirement financial planning, rather than claim a "zero withdrawal rate". I use the old-fashioned (obsolete?) approach of defining my means as my income, and live within that.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:52 AM   #39

Now that we are both receiving SS, (started at FRA), our WR has dropped to zero.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:05 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

We just use/withdraw the dividend returns on our stash. It does not go up by much annually but it has not started to deplete yet after 10 years being FIREd either. We do not take SS or my UK pension yet either.

Currently I would estimate, just like European Interest Rates our stash gives us about 1% to use it.