Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never have more than $250 in cash.........although I did have a coin jar, which yielded over $80 when I finally got it sorted and taken to the bank. My practice is to use credit cards whenever possible. Not only does it defer payment for up to 6 weeks after the purchase, but it also provides accounting, which is helpful when calculating and analyzing expenses. I keep all cash receipts and write my own when none is offered (eg at a roadside vegetable stand). I withdraw $200 from the ATM when cash is running low, and that usually suffices for 6-8 weeks. I do keep some change in my car, usually less than $10. I am not concerned about an apocalyptic event that would incapacitate my bank, because I split my business between two large stable banks with branches all over the country.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I should clarify, I usually only carry about $50-100 cash in my wallet. Typically pay cash for small purchases. I will go to the bank and get $200-300 in $20 bills for spending cash every 2-3 weeks. The larger $1000+ is kept at the house, in $100 bills.

Ever notice how it can be difficult to cash a $100 bill sometimes? A lot of places will not take any bill larger than $20. I think it has to do with change in the drawer and also $100 bill is the most common counterfeited bill.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I'm like W2R. I get $300 at an ATM and it lasts quite a while. Everything that can go on a CC goes on a CC. DW and I often stop for lunch or breakfast on bike rides and some of those places are cash only. I also pay with cash for small purchases at stores <$10
Old 08-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #24

Have $3 in my wallet right now. Will get $40 or something next time I'm out walking around.

None at home except a few ounces of silver and some spare change in a jar. Use credit cards for most purchases.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #25

Almost always $70 to $100 cash in my wallet. Another $200 or so in the house.
Plus the emergency $20 hidden in the car.

Since my bank reimburses any ATM charges, it's kind of a no-brainer to just top up the supply as needed.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #26

Unless I'm traveling, I'll have less than $20 on my person. Never more than $300 at home.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #27

$23 in my wallet right now, always less than $40 unless traveling. At home usually around $200 or so.

During Y2K had about $2000 at home just in case ATM/banks/CC systems had a glitch, actually had two stores that could not take CC in Jan 2000.

Recently went on two week trip to Arizona with $500 cash. Came home with $300.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I keep a few thousand dollars of cash in my safe due to frequent overseas trips.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Huh? Never heard of this before. They should be paying you for depositing money, and not the other way around.
Yep, in a business account, that's what they do. At least the type I have.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We had a situation where our bank at the time (Bank of America) prevented all withdrawals from our accounts for about 3 weeks including checks, ATM, and bill pay. That is, we had no access to getting any cash for 3 weeks. We found that we didn't need to use any cash at all because credit cards worked for us all the time.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Normally when I run low on cash, I go to the ATM and withdraw $300. So, at most times I have between $20-$300 in my wallet.
We're almost same as this.

Pull out $300 when out of cash, except I'll usually take about $40 and stash the rest in our hiding spot. Wife and I will both pull about $40 at a time from there until no cash again, then repeat.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago a windstorm knocked out power to my area for several days. During that time some merchants opened their doors, but with no electricity all business was done by hand with cash. No cash = no food, etc.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #33

I haven't used an ATM since I was in college, mid 1970s.

Usually have $10-20k for poker/Vegas money in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #34

I withdraw $400 every 12 weeks. I replenish when I get to $100. DH and I usually only carry $10 each, the rest is in the house. In a disaster I'd probably drive far enough away to find a place where credit cards are working.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #35

W2R +1

When I get below $20, I check how much DW has, if she is the same we withdraw $300. We travel with a little more.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #36

DH took over grocery shopping (our largest monthly expense) last year and he shops at a store that takes only cash, check or Discover card. He wants to shop with cash so every month I withdraw the grocery cash, pocket cash for both of us, some eating out cash and an extra $300 for our "other" category, which is anything that's not groceries, gasoline or bills paid online.

Some months we use all of it but most months I have some excess so cash accumulates here at home. It's nice to have an extra $500-$800 available at home. When the cash bundle gets too big I take less from the bank for the next month.

I also have my own cash stash (currently $350) which is my accumulated monthly wallet cash that I don't spend, plus birthday money or rebates or whatever. In June I used that to jump on a one day price drop at Best Buy on the iMac computer I had been considering. I didn't use the cash for that since I already had Best Buy charge card that had a 6% reward for Best Buy purchases. Instead I used the Best Buy card and later deposited the cash in the bank.

I used to enjoy using credit cards for the reward points. DH was always hands off on anything connected to money. I always wanted him to be involved and he said he would be if we used cash, so that's why we changed.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Hubby and I each get 100 bucks per week allowance, been that way for 27 years. Use it for lunches, coffee and things we don't want each other to know about like cigars for him and I hoard for travel and gifts. I just had $800 stashed and put it on a chase liquid card to buy Christmas prezzies.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have very little use for cash so I don't carry much on me. Virtually all I purchase is with a CC. For example I tapped the ATM for $60 2 weeks ago. I think I still have the same bills in my wallet right now.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I probably have way too much. I past years, I have had near $100K...

For anyone reading this, I do not have any now, do not try to break in. It is not worth your life (or mine).

So I assume when you do the cash is moved at night to under your mattress12 inches away from your Glock on the nightstand? I always have to have a couple hundred dollars cash available to me at home. I think it is more a throwback from pre ATM times than any current reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep $800 in small bills in the safe for emergencies.
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote