Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

shameless plus for ID

17 things only someone who's been to Idaho will understand
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

1. Where are you living? North
  2. Is there snow? Yes, lots of snow and extreme cold but we play in it so we like it. ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT STAND THE WIND. If we could figure out the months to leave in we would be "wind birds" for those months! Those months seem to change yrly!
  3. why do you love your location? Has everything we like to do and very low population
  4. Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc. -- Yes I believe so because we are partial retirement community and the retirees (lots of teachers) seem to never fight high taxes or whatever the current politicians might want. Although sounds much cheaper than California and NY!
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

1. Where are you living? California
2. Is there snow? No, but you can drive to it within about 90 minutes if you are so inclined.
3. Why do you love your location? It is often 80 degrees and sunny in the middle of winter, we can bike to the beach from our home, we have an almost endless array of dining and entertainment options within a short drive, we are within two miles of a massive hiking wilderness area, and I could spend the rest of my life going up and down the California coastline and never, ever tire of it. (Re: traffic. Yep, we've got it, but primarily because 12% of the USA population has elected to live in our state. In ER though, it's relatively easy to avoid.)
4. Is it expensive? Yes, if looking to live in the most economically robust, coastline adjacent counties. No, otherwise. (If you don't mind the heat, the central portion of the entire state is much, much less expensive.)
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Our first introduction to Idaho was a wilderness trip down the Middle Fork of the Salmon river on a private trip with a bunch of fun interesting former river guides. What an amazing trip! Loved soaking in the hot pools, and the hiking. Idaho is on our list for more exploration once DH retires in September.
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
Our first introduction to Idaho was a wilderness trip down the Middle Fork of the Salmon river on a private trip with a bunch of fun interesting former river guides. What an amazing trip! Loved soaking in the hot pools, and the hiking. Idaho is on our list for more exploration once DH retires in September.
we plan on living out our days here; I have no reason to travel - kinda sux for DW since she loves travelling

when we lived in Houston every time I travelled I wanted to move; now when I travel all I want to do is get back home
Old 05-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

1) North Dakota!

2). Yes... we do get snow snow periodically

3). I love the four season, low crime rate, excellent outdoors fishing and hunting etc. Traffic? Sometimes I see a vehicle or two while out in the country, but don't know what Road Rage is or rush hour traffic?

4). we love it here and our kids and grand kids are here, so moving away is not an option for us. We miss some of the cultural Theaters offered in the Big Cities, but it's the price we pay to live where you don't need to lock your doors or worry about crime.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #127
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hyper,
What is your location?
Sounds too windy and cold.
It just says North on your post.
Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 PM   #128
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Hyper,
What is your location?
Sounds too windy and cold.
It just says North on your post.
I think Hyper might an alias for Santa
Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Where are you living?
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

Is there snow?
Down in the valley where I am, we get snow three or four times a year, a few cars go in the ditch, and the snow melts within a day or two. As we speak it is 28 degrees Centigrade (83 degrees Fahrenheit) and our swimming pool is busy, while I can see snow capped mountain peaks in the distance. We have hot summers and mild winters.

Why do you love your location?
Very scenic, best climate in Canada, tons of things to do. Hiking, skiing, water sports, golf, wine tourism, arts and culture, foodie culture, and a wonderful Newcomers' Club......my social calendar is overflowing. The ocean and the Gulf Islands are a 5 hour drive away. The Rockies likewise. Washington and Oregon are all doable road trips. Great airline connections. A very ER friendly culture.

Is it expensive?
People say that BC stands for "bring cash". While property prices in Vancouver are insane, the Interior is more moderate. I moved here from a lower cost location on the prairies, but my cost of living has decreased. For example, property taxes on my condo are ~$900. Heating bills have decreased by orders of magnitude. Provincial tax rates are among the lowest in Canada.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

This is a very useful thread. By structuring the things to be covered about one's location, people are able to convey what really does appeal about their place. And perhaps some of the negatives.

Ha
Old 05-21-2015, 10:44 PM   #131
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
Personally, Amarillo is a hell-hole. Think Austin or San Marcos or the Hill country if you're considering Texas, if you can stand the summer heat. My best friend in HS is in Amarillo, and I'm semi-familiar with it.
What things do you dislike about Amarillo?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymama View Post
hi!
I cannot believe the wealth of information I learn from this website. I always thought Florida was the plan for our retirement.....however, you all post amazing things about your location.

my questions are:
  1. Where are you living? (state)
  2. Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire
  3. why do you love your location?
  4. Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.
TN, the Carolinas and Georgia are sounding pretty good right now....

thank you all for your input
We just moved from East TN, and it's a wonderful place. We returned to the SF Bay Area because that's where our closest friends and lots of wonderful memories are located. Were it not for the life long friends we have out here in SF, downtown Knoxville would be our location of choice; we loved it there.

So, about our new location:

1. Where are you living? (state): Sausalito, CA.

2. Is there snow?: Nope, never as far as I know; just the way we like it.

3. Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.: Yep, very; especially housing. But, housing cost is a function of $/SF and SF. We decided to sacrifice SF and have a killer view. (Note: We've downsized by half twice in the past 5 yrs, and it's very doable. Heck, if I keep watching enough 'Tiny House Nation', we could probably downsize by half a third time. Might need a new DW to do that though. ).
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #133
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
I travel to Amarillo for business. It is geographically isolated, flat, and very windy. Winters can be cold and the wind intensifies the cold. Depending on the way the wind blows, you can sometimes smell the cattle yards. There is little to do there or nearby although there are lots of restaurants for the size of the city. While retiring in west Texas would not be my preference, I would prefer Lubbock over Amarillo. Lubbock still has the low humidity but is slightly larger than Amarillo with a university and is a little less isolated. I also have family in Abilene and San Angelo and have recently seem these cities on a list of best places to retire. But these cities are hotter in the summer than the panhandle and have higher humidity - I've only visited at Christmas so don't know what the humidity is actually like.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
three things

location, location and location
Old 05-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post

+1 sometimes I forget how beautiful Idaho is! Thx
Time2re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #136
Dryer sheet aficionado

well, I think you guys have definitely saved me a little trip to Amarillo.
As for Knoxville, I"ll have to check that out online (since I'm only doing online research, not in person yet). I recall looking up TN and some cities and areas were rated 'fantastic' by sites, and other cities seemed to have a higher crime rate or poorer weather. Sounds like people here liked Knoxville. I liked the introduction to Idaho! Interesting!
North Dakota - I always figured would be incredibly COLD.... no?
Old 05-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #137

Quote:
As for Knoxville, I"ll have to check that out online (since I'm only doing online research, not in person yet). I recall looking up TN and some cities and areas were rated 'fantastic' by sites, and other cities seemed to have a higher crime rate....Sounds like people here liked Knoxville.
I also like Knoxville but their crime rate can be tricky.
Quote:
Comparing Knoxville’s crime rate to the rest of the nation is difficult, mainly because Tennessee switched to an incident-based reporting system that counts every charge against a person during one incident, while many states use uniformed crime reporting, a system in which only one charge is counted per incident, even though several other charges may be filed.
Source: How Bad is Knoxville Crime? - Memphis Daily News
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #138

Quote:
Yes. Climate North Dakota - temperature, rainfall and average

When I was looking around for states to move to after retirement I looked for the state with the lowest population per square mile. That state was North Dakota. Then I looked up the climate there and saw the reason why. Some people like it but I'd die there.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #139
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yes...just prior to your post, I looked up ND climate. No......I could not possibly consider it either!
Old 05-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I used to live in Manitoba, north of North Dakota. I moved for ER because of the cold. Friends in Manitoba had three inches of snow at their lakeside cottage last weekend. And the winter of 2013-14 was brutal.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote