do you love where you live? retirement location

1. Where are you living? (state)
  2. Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire
  3. why do you love your location?
  4. Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.

1. Central Illinois
2. Yes, but the road crews are equipped to handle it here. We've managed to avoid ice storms the past few years.
3. I am still working and this is where my job and family are located. I like the 4 seasons, but could do without the heat and humidity of July/August. Big cities are 2-3 hours away. Central time zone is the best!
4. My property taxes are $2500 on $120k home. Sales tax is 7.75% (State + local) and income tax is 3.75% this year. But, my parents have been retired for 25 years here. Their property taxes were frozen at age 65 ($250 when we sold the house) and they haven't paid income tax in years, so comparing costs for workers versus retirees is key.

I am enjoying this thread too. Of the places in the US that I've visited, I've always thought that Monterey, CA was the most beautiful. Not sure that I could afford to live there in retirement. I'd like to chime in on Boise. I lived there for 4 years in the mid-90s. At that time Boise was experiencing growing pains with lots of California "migrants" driving up property values. I liked Boise, but did not like that it wasn't very close to anywhere else. If outdoor activities are part of your retirement dreams, then Boise should be on your short list of places to live because the mountains and desert are just minutes from town. But, if you want to do some traveling, I think there are better home bases. I can't imagine that Boise is all that cheap either.

:cool:;):dance:.

Went to the Lyle Lovett/Kansas City Symphony 10th Flint Hill now National Tall Prairre - wife loved it. Complete with Cowboys cattle and Covered Wagons a sets on the side.

heh heh heh - Wife loved it. Not a total flatlander yet! But - :cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymama View Post
Where are you living? (state)
Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire
why do you love your location?
Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.

1. Southern CA
2. No snow ... and after living all over the country and growing up in snow country interior New England/northeast DW is 100% done with snow. Ok to visit, but small doses only! We love the beach/ocean and the laid back lifestyle. People are pretty casual and so long as we avoid rush hour on the freeway, it's great. Plus where we live now,we can walk, bike or skateboard to most things we need on a regular basis.
3. Yes, in some ways, but not all ways you might think. Housing costs more here than in many places, but that's the same on either coast of the US. Utilities and taxes are lower here than many places we have lived, and fresh produce is relatively cheap too. Plenty of fun, free things to do outdoors - in and on the water/beach/adjacent bike paths.

Back
Top Bottom