Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
1. Where are you living? (state)

I live in SE Texas, just north of Houston

2. Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire

I'm told there is some every now and again but I don't recall any in the 11 years we have lived here, although we were in Baton Rouge in 2008 and '09 and there was some snow there so there may have been some in Houston.
I used to have friends in Houston, and visited there in January 2001. It actually did snow one of the days I was down there! It didn't really stick to anything, and was just enough to get everything wet. Still, I remember seeing one SUV on its roof. Probably would've happened come snow or sunshine, though...
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

Currently living in Wisconsin. Hope to eventually move further north, to UP Michigan.

Yes!! We have snow, and we love it!!

Love most everything about Wisconsin [MOD EDIT]. Low crime, best public radio in the country, natural scenery, festivals, Lake Michigan, and great people.

Home prices are low, property taxes are high. General cost of living is low. 5% state sales tax.
pmichele461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I used to have friends in Houston, and visited there in January 2001. It actually did snow one of the days I was down there! It didn't really stick to anything, and was just enough to get everything wet. Still, I remember seeing one SUV on its roof. Probably would've happened come snow or sunshine, though...
We lived in Baton Rouge for 17 years and every now and then had snow and ice. Traffic was a nightmare whenever that happened, and they always closed the interstate until the ice melted.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #24

Washington State
Not too much and melts quickly
Mild Climate with Clean Air
No Income Tax but Property Tax about $4,000 on modest home.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I'm told there is some every now and again but I don't recall any in the 11 years we have lived here, although we were in Baton Rouge in 2008 and '09 and there was some snow there so there may have been some in Houston.

Yep. S2 was at Rice and the students went nuts the week before (?) exams. From the pictures, it was sufficient for snowmen. Clearly a rare event though.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
1) IdaHO
2) Some, but it doesn't usually stay long in the valley
3) I live on a golf course, 4 miles from w*rk, 30 minutes from a ski hill with a killer view of downtown and the valley; very low crime and friendly people; high desert dry climate
4) No

If my GF wasn't so close minded, I would be giving you the opportunity to complain about " two more foreigners" just moved in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Hey I'm a foreigner myself - I've only been in ID about 4 yrs...

As long as ur not from Cali, the natives won't complain...
Old 05-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey I'm a foreigner myself - I've only been in ID about 4 yrs...

As long as ur not from Cali, the natives won't complain...

Nope, from MO. I love that 90 degree dry summer heat. Cant convince her it is nowhere near the north pole. She wont let me move to Nevada because she thinks I will live in the sports-book. She is seeming a bit receptive to St. Georges though. Her geography isn't real good. Not too far from a Mesquite,NV sports-book, but she doesn't know that!

Old 05-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

One of my good friends reloed from the MO (Trenton) to Boise about the same time I did. He loves it here.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One of my good friends reloed from the MO (Trenton) to Boise about the same time I did. He loves it here.

That is not a fair comparison, Hitter. Unless you have an affinity to farm or eat some delicious Amish homemade pie Trenton wont compare favorably to Boise.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in the middle of Texas (Austin)

2. Is there snow?

Yes! Every 2 or 3 years we get between 1/2" and 2". More likely for us to get ice.

3. why do you love your location?

Because it is beautiful, full of people who accept all lifestyles (remember, I'm in Austin, not the rest of Texas...lol), I can walk to about a dozen restaurants and/or bars, plus it gets nice and hot in the summer.

4. Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.

Unfortunately, it is expensive. In central Austin, figure you'll pay $300-$400 s.f., plus property taxes are simply out of control: about $8,500/year for my $450K house. However, we have no state income tax, which is great for those jobs... for us retired folk, not so much.
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Happy
Old 05-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

Happy

So Cal
No snow
Yes, next to perfect weather, so much to do, community theatre, inexpensive entertainment, some of the best churches in the country, beach and stores within walking distance.
Renting because too expensive to buy at the beach.
msrhoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

The Woodlands, TX (just north of Houston)

2. Is there snow?

Yes! Every 5 years or so we get dusted for a day.

I'm a Connecticut Yankee and they won't let me back in Connecticut because I have been gone too long, so I am stuck here. I suspect they think I am siding with the Confederate Army now.

It's not beautiful like Yosemite.....it's flat as a pancake and full of big bugs. Otherwise, it works.

It's so expensive that we Texans are telling out-of-state people to move to California instead of coming here.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #34

my questions are:

1. Pacific coast- a few miles west of downtown Lima,Peru.
2. No snow,ice,hail,rain, basically no weather, other then occasional fog. Winter here just means constant cloud cover.
3. To much to list, Shopping,Healthcare,Nightlife,Pacific Ocean,Security,parks,plaza's,World's best food, Walk-ability, free wi-fi everywhere, Fresh fruit year round.
4. No taxes on retirement income, Vat tax 17%, Real estate taxes about $500.00 for a typical $300K Apt., No AC/heat, Dollar has appreciated about 20% the past few years so almost everything is cheaper. Up until 7 years ago you could buy RE cheap (100k for oceanfront condo) now prices have tripled and are higher than Houston or Atlanta.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #35

I've posted elsewhere when I leave Lost Angeles in a few years I intend to never again return to Southern California (except to visit friends). Same for the SF Bay Area (except to visit family).
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Where are you living? (state)
Massachusetts (summer) Florida (winter) But legal status is Mass.

Is there snow?
REALLY? Yah! There's snow. Wicked lots of snow.

why do you love your location?
We don't get many, but a good summer's day on Boston's North Shore is better than a good day anywhere else. (IMHO) Just something in the air, the way the sun hits you.

Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.
Yes. Housing, taxes, general COL. Think: California expensive but with crappy weather 8 months a year. And bad drivers.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #37

Nevada, in a suburb of Las Vegas

Is there snow?
Rarely. And when it does snow it's a dusting that melts fast.

Tons to do, great food, great shows and lots of outdoor things to do (great hiking is less than 1 mile from us and you can be skiing in under 3 hours). Our community is Active Adult so our $80/month HOA dues gets us more to do than you have time for and it includes two outdoor pools, two indoor pools and 2 hot tubs. Also virtually no bugs and beautiful mild weather 8 months out of the year. No nasty mother nature kind of stuff either. Heavy rain is about it during monsoon season. Most people think of Vegas as "the strip" but once you get away from the craziness there you'd never know you lived in "sin city".

Nope. Housing is higher than average for the area in our community at about $150-$170/sq ft. No state income tax, property taxes are low, property insurance is low. Utilities, food, gas, etc are about the same as Dallas.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #38
gone traveling

Southern Indiana - fly over state

Yes some snow . 4 distinct seasons.

Relatively low cost of living. It's a small Midwest College town - surprisingly tons to see and do. Good restaurant scene. Housing is cheap. Property taxes are cheap. Public Schools seem ok to good. ACA Health insurance is surprisingly expensive. Income tax 4%. Sales tax 7%. Indiana one of the few states where muni bonds from every other state are tax free. Affordable college tuition. Several high quality universities - Norte Dame, Indiana U, Purdue, Ball State, Butler, Indiana State, etc

Beautiful hilly scenery here and Close to DW family.

Our plan is to home base here and spend approx half time abroad once DS2 finishes HS
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Portland, Oregon

Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire
On rare occassion an inch or two. On very rare occasions 6 inches. The city effectively shuts down, those who go out play bumper cars. The snow typically melts in a day or two.

Mid way between the mountains and the ocean in a lush green valley. Moderate climate. Convenient to grandchildren.

Our cost of living is moderate for the west coast. Lots cheaper than the Bay Area, less expensive than Seattle.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymama View Post
hi!
I cannot believe the wealth of information I learn from this website. I always thought Florida was the plan for our retirement.....however, you all post amazing things about your location.

my questions are:
TN, the Carolinas and Georgia are sounding pretty good right now....

thank you all for your input
1) Philadelphia Pa
2) unfortunately yes lot's of it along with ice. yuck
3) So much to do!!! museums, art, theater, world renowned colleges and hospitals. lots of fun, inexpensive things to do. tons of other vacation options within driving distance. mountains, beaches, cities
4) Philadelphia runs the gamut. housing can be expensive but property taxes are low.

I plan on being a snow bird, I want to stay in philly during the warm weather and get the heck out of dodge during the winter.
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote