do you love where you live? retirement location

1. Where are you living? (state)
    We're moving to Reno in a month, after selling both the Colorado cabin and the Houston house.
  2. Is there snow?
    Some but usually no more than 18" over the winter which is nothing compared to the Colorado cabin and a lot compared to Houston. I don't mind snow, as long as it melts.
  3. why do you love your location?
    Reno offers the skiing and hiking (Tahoe and Sierra Valley) in a short drive, along with fly fishing on the Truckee a 1/4 mile from the house. And no Houston humidity. It's 4 hours from DS and his wife and home in the CA Central Valley. The youngest can easily fly from Seattle.
  4. Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.
    More expensive than the Houston suburb, but the location is only a few miles from Downtown Reno and just off the Truckee River. Pretty much ideal. Cheaper than the combination of the two other homes. No income tax in Nevada and cheaper property taxes and air conditioning. I'll miss seeing ML Soccer and MLBaseball but the new minor league stadium is supposed to be very nice. Opera and symphony won't be comparable, though, but San Francisco is a 5 hour drive. Great skiing--when the drought breaks, which it may do big time if the El Nino actually comes in, as it increasingly appears.
    Reno may get hot in the summer but it's a dry heat and it cools down--unlike Houston.

Where are you living?
1 Br Condo Long Island, NY.

Is there snow?
Yes.

Why do you love your location?
Walking distance to the Supermarket and the Megamart. Short drive to many malls. Can be in Manhattan in 1.25 hours. Great access to the best doctors and all that NY has to offer.

Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.?
$316 maint (includes heat, gas, snow removal, landscaping), $230 month taxes, $0 mortgage. Electricity runs about $50 a month.

1. Where are you living? (state)
    We're moving to Reno in a month, after selling both the Colorado cabin and the Houston house.
  2. Is there snow?
    Some but usually no more than 18" over the winter which is nothing compared to the Colorado cabin and a lot compared to Houston. I don't mind snow, as long as it melts.
  3. why do you love your location?
    Reno offers the skiing and hiking (Tahoe and Sierra Valley) in a short drive, along with fly fishing on the Truckee a 1/4 mile from the house. And no Houston humidity. It's 4 hours from DS and his wife and home in the CA Central Valley. The youngest can easily fly from Seattle.
  4. Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.
    More expensive than the Houston suburb, but the location is only a few miles from Downtown Reno and just off the Truckee River. Pretty much ideal. Cheaper than the combination of the two other homes. No income tax in Nevada and cheaper property taxes and air conditioning. I'll miss seeing ML Soccer and MLBaseball but the new minor league stadium is supposed to be very nice. Opera and symphony won't be comparable, though, but San Francisco is a 5 hour drive. Great skiing--when the drought breaks, which it may do big time if the El Nino actually comes in, as it increasingly appears.
    Reno may get hot in the summer but it's a dry heat and it cools down--unlike Houston.

Sounds like a nice town a lot of people like it. I have thought about Reno, Spokane, Boise or Amarillo but not much love out there for Amarillo. Of these what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Only been to Reno and Amarillo. I prefer Reno (proximity to Tahoe) over Amarillo, but only by a slight margin. After all, Amarillo has the Big Texan.

Only been to Reno and Amarillo. I prefer Reno (proximity to Tahoe) over Amarillo, but only by a slight margin. After all, Amarillo has the Big Texan.

I love the beauty of the Truckee River running through downtown Reno though some of the bums love the area too. Could be worse. Its usually to cold for them to jump in with a bar of soap thankfully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a nice town a lot of people like it. I have thought about Reno, Spokane, Boise or Amarillo but not much love out there for Amarillo. Of these what do you guys think?

Delete Texas. I did.

Never been to Reno so I can't comment.

Boise >> Spokane for weather and crime.

If you like that part of the country N. Idaho has some nice spots - CDA, Sandpoint, etc.

Last edited:
I love the beauty of the Truckee River running through downtown Reno <>.

I agree with this. If I didn't have ties here, Reno is where I would be. Sumer weather is warm but dry, winter weather is medium cold and dry. Overall, comfortable year round. Plus you have some good sports books, quality night club type entertainment, reasonably good cheap restaurant food, and the overall high energy of a place that draws many visitors. Not to mention the Sierra just to the west.

I'm familiar with Spokane. Unless there is a good reason to consider it I wouldn't, and I used to live over there.

I also agree with Big Hitter. Boise dominates Spokane, for both weather and crime.

Ha

Last edited:
I agree with this. If I didn't have ties here, Reno is where I would be. Sumer weather is warm but dry, winter weather is medium cold and dry. Overall, comfortable year round. Plus you have some good sports books, quality night club type entertainment, reasonably good cheap restaurant food, and the overall high energy of a place that draws many visitors. Not to mention the Sierra just to the west.

I'm familiar with Spokane. Unless there is a good reason to consider it I wouldn't, and I used to live over there.

I also agree with Big Hitter. Boise dominates Spokane, for both weather and crime.

Ha

The sports-books are the reason why I occasionally got there to flee the Vegas crowds. I usually run into a few locals there and they are always pleased but surprised that I would travel there instead of Vegas being I am from out of state.
The one thing about the Reno summers I like is that it may reach 90-95 as a high but drops to the upper 50s by morning. As far as winter, I personally don't mind a couple of months of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Northern California, small town 2 hours north of San Francisco
No snow in the valley-some on the hills surrounding which is pretty when it happens
We love small town life, slow pace, great food shopping, lots of local interaction, hiking, boating and great home base for travelling elsewhere. Amazing 4 season climate. Community college for taking art classes, welding, whatever you like.
Re: expensive, I would say, if you want to downsize, and live in 1400 sq feet, you could do that for 300K and pay 3000 a year in prop taxes right now. If you want 3000 sq ft, figure on 500K and 5K per year prop taxes. Tax increases are limited to 1% raise per year by law.

Where are you living? (state)
Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire
why do you love your location?
Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.

I live in AZ, two homes separated by 1.5 hours of driving and more than 5,500 ft of elevation difference.
The high elevation place has snow in winter, but it is sporadic and does not stay.
Yes, I love my homes, and no longer think of moving. Two homes make it easier to bear the less-than-ideal climate.
No, it's not expensive if one compares to the coast; I have two homes for the price of one and can play snowbird between the two.

Last edited:
Where are you living?
Just moved from NJ to Florida's west coast, between Tampa and Sarasota
Is there snow?
NO and we are not planning on spending much time in the Northern states in the winter.
We love the options of going to either Tampa or Sarasota for culture and food, Brandon for shopping. We have everything we need here, including Trader Joe's and Aldi, which I love! Lots to do and see and only 20 minutes from the beach. We love the pond in our back yard and the wildlife that frequents it. And the sunshine--feels good after a lifetime in the northeast.
Housing was about half what it cost in NJ, real estate taxes are 1/3 compared to NJ. Insurance is doubled. So far most things appear to be the same or less. This was a factor in our move.

Where are you living? Bay Area California, but moving to retirement home on the central coast (Santa Cruz area)

Does it snow there? Nope.

How do I love thee, Santa Cruz? Let me count the ways:
jaw-dropping natural beauty
almost ideal climate (warmer, less fog than either SF or Monterey)
very bike-friendly town
year round outdoor activities - running, hiking, mountain biking, road
biking, surfing, kayaking, sailing, fishing, free summer beach concerts
UC campus plus excellent community college
lots of young people
middle class vibe; surf, art, food culture
access to major medical centers, airports, SF

Is it expensive? Yes, but. The retirement house is almost exactly the same value as the bay area house, but has a much better location one block from the ocean. Smaller houses and condos cost quite a bit less than over the hill in Silicon Valley. Property taxes are the same as the rest of California, 1 - 1.25% of purchase price with increases limited by Prop 13.

Bottom line is if you can afford the house and taxes, lifestyle need not be expensive due to aforementioned free/cheap activities.

Where are you living?
Just moved from NJ to Florida's west coast, between Tampa and Sarasota
Is there snow?
NO and we are not planning on spending much time in the Northern states in the winter.
We love the options of going to either Tampa or Sarasota for culture and food, Brandon for shopping. We have everything we need here, including Trader Joe's and Aldi, which I love! Lots to do and see and only 20 minutes from the beach. We love the pond in our back yard and the wildlife that frequents it. And the sunshine--feels good after a lifetime in the northeast.
Housing was about half what it cost in NJ, real estate taxes are 1/3 compared to NJ. Insurance is doubled. So far most things appear to be the same or less. This was a factor in our move.

I've thought about the area around Sarasota. Looks really nice, but I haven't visited though. Are there many bugs etc., where you love? Every time I look at pictures of houses there I see that they have huge swimming pool screen enclosures. Are they necessary?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I've thought about the area around Sarasota. Looks really nice, but I haven't visited though. Are there many bugs etc., where you love? Every time I look at pictures of houses there I see that they have huge swimming pool screen enclosures. Are they necessary?

I would say yes. But that applies to many locations that are warm year round. I am a person that attracts bug bites, and all my life have vacationed in beach areas, in the US and in the Caribbean. And I always get bitten, even with DEET.

So, if you are thinking about a warmer climate, IMHO you need to accept that bugs are a part of life. :(

I live in Western Suburbs of Boston MA.

It has snow and I do not mind it.

I like it because school system in my town is as good as it gets and area provides lot of good employment opportunities.

It is very expensive. Not as expensive as Palo Alto but much more expensive than Santa Cruz without jaw-dropping natural beauty of those areas. I don't think financially it is a good place to retire but if our daughter stays living in this area we may stay as well.

My optimal retirement place would be something like Manitou Springs CO. Inexpensive, beautiful with great weather and nice people.

Last edited:

The swimming pool enclosures keep out the bugs and the other creatures from landing in your swimming pool . Nobody wants to wake up to an alligator in the pool .

So, if you are thinking about a warmer climate, IMHO you need to accept that bugs are a part of life. :(

I think this is only true in humid areas. In the desert Southwest, including Southern California, bugs are not a problem, and you can sit outside all year long without getting eaten alive.

I would say yes. But that applies to many locations that are warm year round. I am a person that attracts bug bites, and all my life have vacationed in beach areas, in the US and in the Caribbean. And I always get bitten, even with DEET.

When I lived in Venice Beach I cannot ever remember being bitten by a mosquito, or any other bug. Nobody much had window screens. I don't remember, but it seemed roughly the same in Berkeley and SF. OTOH, plenty mosquitoes in Alaska, and Michigan, and Wisconsin, and other famous tropical climes. It gets plenty warm enough for biting insects anywhere, in summer. And if the wet is there, the mosquitoes and no see-ums and many other insects will be out in force.

Ha

Qualified response over a quarter century...

Loved our first retirement home in a trailer in a campground summers in Illoinois, then six months in winter in an over 55 community in Florida... 1990 to 2004.

Bought a permanent home in a CCRC in Illinois in 2004, and continued with all three until now.

The decision to have permanent home in Illinois rather than Florida was finally made when we decided that the long hot summer didn't suit us... too much inside, not enough outside.

So snow?... yeah, but our driveway is always plowed by the HOA, and our grass and shrubs tended to with loving hands, (not mine)... Beside growing up in RI and schooling in Maine.. love the snow. Love the spring flowers and return of the animals. Love the fall foliage. Love Central Illinois. Nice people, friendly, honest and low keyed.

Expensive?... No... House taxes low w/ homestead exemption and senior citizen tax freeze. 90 Miles away in Naperville the HH income is around 90K, while here in Central Illinois, it is aout $53K. We have everything and more in terms of stores, activities and esting places and at the crossroads of Illinois 39 and Rte 80, for fast travel to anywhere. And the newest, biggest and best YMCA in the United States! A magnet for a radius of 50 miles.

Housing cost?... We're in the newer section of town, so just about average, but if you look up zip 61354 in Zillow, you'll find you can buy a medium 1500sf house for anywhere from 25K to 100K... older part of town.

As we slow down it's a perfect fit... everything within 2 miles of our house, and country driving beyond

Last edited:
1.Where are you living? (state): California (San Francisco Bay Area)
Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire: NEVER
why do you love your location? NO
Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.: YES< YES and YES which is why I need to relocate!

1. Where are you living? Arkansas
  2. Is there snow? lol -- varies, usually a couple times a year---2-3"
  3. why do you love your location? When I first retired, I used to bug DH all the time. We are moving, right? He talks about moving back to his home state of MA and I was thinking that might be a good idea. After most of my life living in AR, it is finally growing on me. Our town has a lot more to offer than ten years ago. and, I certainly do not want the MA taxes.
  4. Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc. Very inexpensive. It is Arkansas. There is much beauty in this state, while there are not the opportunities of more populated states. There is a trade-off. Right now, today, it feels good.

Between Spokane and Boise I recommend Boise. Have you looked at Coeur d'Alene?

Back
Top Bottom