Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2015, 05:11 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1. Where are you living? NJ

2. Is there snow? Yes. A bit too much in recent years. We enjoy the snow, but not extended cold weather.

3. Why do you love your location? Our local environs are really nice. Lots of woods and trails. We can get to the big city in 30 minutes. Lots to do there.

4. Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.? Each state in the NE US is expensive. No getting around that fact. Many people migrate away from here because of the COL.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 06:28 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

What Andre said (all of it). Re: housing costs: They are high but not exorbitant considering this is a jobs mecca.

I work with a lot of midwestern transplants (they migrate here because there are no jobs for smart people where they grew up, and then they spend half their time complaining about how much better things are where they come from) and most of the moaning about housing costs seems to come from them. Well, duh...if you don't have a lot of high-paid employment, houses will be cheaper.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
1)Where are you living? (state)

Maryland, in the suburbs, just east of DC.

2)Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire

Yes. I've seen it snow as early as November (The Veteran's Day blizzard of '87 was notable around here) and as late as the last week in April (back in 2007 we got about 4-5" that weekend...looked really weird in contrast with the flowers, the leafed-out trees, etc). Usually though, it seems like the snowiest period is around mid-January to mid-Feb. Seems like historically, we've gotten a lot of big storms around President's Day. I'm not sure what the average snowfall is around here, but every 3-4 years it seems like we'll get a good storm that dumps a foot or more. In 2009-2010, we got three storms that did that...one in December and then two back-to-back in early Feb.

3) why do you love your location?

"Love" might be too strong of a word, but I like it here. A lot of it might simply be because it's what I'm used to. I have 4+ acres, and our neighborhood feels nice and secluded, but DC is 15 minutes away, Annapolis is 20, and Baltimore is 30 on a good day. Most of my family is around here. You can get to the mountains in a bit over an hour, or to the Atlantic Ocean in about 2.5-3, depending on traffic. And, while I'm getting less tolerant of cold weather, I do like being able to experience all four seasons. The area is building up, getting more crowded. And even though my neighborhood still feels rural, every once in awhile, a large lot gets sold and subdivided, so that won't last forever. I want to move, maybe in the next 5 years or so, but would probably stay in Maryland. Just an area where it's a bit more secluded. Oh, I'm also 2 1/2 miles from w*rk, which is nice right now, but once I'm retired will be irrelevant.

4) Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.

I have a feeling most people would say yes. I've heard it said that Maryland is a state you retire FROM, not TO, because it's expensive. Maybe it's just that I'm used to it, but it doesn't seem that bad to me. Property taxes on the house are about $3200 per year. However, the house is old and small; most of the value is in the land. Housing isn't cheap, but a lot depends on neighborhood, what you want, etc. I could go out to Davidsonville, about 10 miles away, and get a 3br 2.5ba rancher with a 2 car garage on 2.5 acres for about $450K, or for that same $450K, go get a 1-2br condo in DC with no parking.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymama View Post
hi!
I cannot believe the wealth of information I learn from this website. I always thought Florida was the plan for our retirement.....however, you all post amazing things about your location.

my questions are:
  1. Where are you living? (state)
  2. Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire
  3. why do you love your location?
  4. Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.
TN, the Carolinas and Georgia are sounding pretty good right now....

thank you all for your input
1. We're in north central Texas. Moved here from NY.

2. We've seen a couple of flurries in the past 1 1/2 years, but nothing that stayed on the ground more than a day.

3. I love our location because it's near my family. Everyone is within 20 minutes. I grew up in Kansas, so Texas is pretty much like coming home. DH is adapting.

4. We bought a bigger house on more land for about 1/2 of what we sold our NY house for. Our property taxes are about 1/4 what they were in NY. So, it's not expensive in our view, but I know others feel Texas property taxes are high. The state sales tax is about what we were paying in NY, so that's also a wash. No state income tax, so that's about a 6% savings right off the top. Gas is $.50/gallon cheaper, but I only fill up once a month rather than twice a week. Groceries are about the same. Electric bills are much lower even though we're in an all-electric house. Overall, we're living better on the same amount of money.
BuysToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
I can't tell you how many times I have heard from people that don't live in Florida that because Florida is such a tourist attraction people working there must be making a VERY good wage. When you think about just Walt Disney World and how much money they make year round, they must pay very well. They actually pay their employees rather poorly.

Mike
In general, the companies that are focused on tourism pay low wages. However, there are some excellent opportunities for a select few.

My neighbors' daughter is a waitress at a themed restaurant and bar in Downtown Disney, and typically works anywhere from 36-48 hours a week. My neighbor helped her with her taxes this year. She made just over $180,000.00 last year in wages and tips. Wages are minimal wage.....people on vacation drinking a lot tip well. These jobs are tough to get, and those that have them stay.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #65

Where are you living? (state)
Cozumel, Mexico

Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire

I agree completely about snow! I shoveled my last driveway in 2013. No worries about snow here on the island.

Why do you love your location?

Lots of sun with year round warm temps and no snow. Slower pace of life that is centered around family and friends. Lots of water activities like scuba diving, sailing, paddle boarding, etc.

Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.

Housing is affordable unless you want to live on the water and then the sky's the limit. Property taxes and property insurance are cheap. Medical care is good and cheap compared to the U.S. And food is also cheap unless you insist on American brands and I can stare out at the Caribbean from the checkout lane at my local grocery!
Old 05-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Twin Cities of MN
Lots of snow; long winters. Keeps the riff-raff out (as they say).
Yes, love it here! Great state!
Taxes are high but services are very good.
Housing is moderate compared to the coasts as is much of the Midwest.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

1. Capitol Hill, Washington DC
2. Yes, unfortunately there is snow.
3. Yes, we love it and plan to age in place here. As we get older most things we need, including restaurants, groceries, and hardware, are in walking distance. We are members of and volunteer in a very active neighborhood non-profit that helps old folks stay in their homes.
4. Very expensive but we planned accordingly. We could sell our modest row house and move to a mansion or luxury condo in another location for far less but we like our neighborhood. To cap it off our son, daughter, and grand kids live nearby and don't seem likely to leave.

The major downside is weather. A bit too hot and humid in July and too cold and snowy in January and February. But we have dealt with that by going to the water in summer and warm trips in winter. When we get too old to travel I suspect we will stay indoors when the weather is awful.

The only places I can think of that have the perfect weather are San Diego and Hawaii but I don't want to relocate to such distant locales without a supporting social network.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #68

1. Pa.

2. Lots of snow.

3. Used to love it more. Too many people have discovered my town and have moved here, clogging roads and driving taxes higher and higher. Will probably not move to better location ( and thereby be one of the ruiners of it ) due to complacency. Positive things: an arts center that has free concerts Fri and Sat night outside. Movie tickets are "only" $8 for seniors.

4. Taxes and housing: I pay about $4,000 a year in prop taxes for a $160,000 townhome. New governor is talking about some new shell game to reduce property taxes but increase sales tax.

Hiring labor to fix your house or car used to be cheap, but now we have NYC prices for that.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I pay about $4,000 a year in prop taxes for a $160,000 townhome. New governor is talking about some new shell game to reduce property taxes but increase sales tax.
Wow! That seems awfully high. My home is assessed at exactly the same amount, and my property taxes are $951.

We do have 8.75% sales tax, though (4% state plus 4.75% local). Guess they have to get it from somewhere.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #70

1. California - SF Bay Area
2. No snow
3. It's home, family and friends, great weather, lots to do, ocean, bay,city, mountains, wine county, lakes, skiing, golf, hiking, fishing.
4. Very expensive. Since I grew up here, between SF and Palo Alto, the cost of
living is normal to me.

The one drawback, TRAFFIC.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
my questions are:
Where are you living? (state) Jalisco MX in PV
Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire: Never
why do you love your location? Weather, social activities, lots of other pursuits
Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc. Cheaper than Florida or AZ

We pay no income tax. Our sales tax is 16%. Medical costs are low. Property tax is under $300.yr. Fresh fruit and vegetables are extremely cheap. So is fish and shrimp.

Beef is about half price to get a good cut. Arrachera is dirt cheap and edible if prepared right. Milk and eggs also dirt cheap. Good cheeses need to be imported (e.g. Tillamook).
Are you close to Lake Chapala? How much does a small house(Less than 1000 s.f.) cost?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
  4. Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc
Dallas, TX burb

Seems like we get an average of five inches of snow each year.

I don't love my location, but it's ok. Megacorp relocated us here 21 years ago and so far we've been too lazy to move. There's lots to do, the economy is booming and the medical facilities are great. We do enjoy the mild winters.

There is no state income tax, but they get you in real estate taxes. Housing (to me) is affordable, but in our area houses are increasing in value at a steady rate.
I'm in North Texas, not real crazy about it either. I would love to pull up stakes and move back to Alabama but since the kids were born and raised here and this is their "home" we are probably stuck for the duration
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #73
Administrator

We live in South Florida, but spend part of the year in the Chicago area. Fl will likely be our permanent home.

There is often snow in the midwest but we make every effort to not be there when it present.

DW loves South Florida. So much reminds her of where she grew up, especially the beaches, palm trees, orchids, and the unrelenting summer heat. I'm not so fond of it, but it's more important to her than to me, so here we'll stay. It is a place where one can culturally live part of the day in Latin America and the rest in the US, transitioning with ease and not having to choose only one over the other. This suits both of us and that adds nice variety to life.

It can be expensive here, but most of the population is at or below US median income, so lower cost lifestyles abound.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow! That seems awfully high. My home is assessed at exactly the same amount, and my property taxes are $951.

We do have 8.75% sales tax, though (4% state plus 4.75% local). Guess they have to get it from somewhere.
W2R,

Yes, it is high, isn't it? I just checked and I actually paid $3,600 in property taxes for 2014, on my modest townhome. But we know those kids can't possibly learn anything unless a brand new stadium is built now and then.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #75

Where are you living? (state)
Texas, (about an hr. north of Houston)

Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire
While there has been some in the last ten years, it seldom last more than 24 hrs.

why do you love your location?
Live on a lake in the country. Lots of wild life, quite, Golf, long walks with little or no traffic. Big city close enough to go anytime we need/want.

Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.
$1,200 a year for property tax on $350K.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #76

We're moving to Reno in a month, after selling both the Colorado cabin and the Houston house.
  2. Is there snow?
    Some but usually no more than 18" over the winter which is nothing compared to the Colorado cabin and a lot compared to Houston. I don't mind snow, as long as it melts.
    Reno offers the skiing and hiking (Tahoe and Sierra Valley) in a short drive, along with fly fishing on the Truckee a 1/4 mile from the house. And no Houston humidity. It's 4 hours from DS and his wife and home in the CA Central Valley. The youngest can easily fly from Seattle.
    More expensive than the Houston suburb, but the location is only a few miles from Downtown Reno and just off the Truckee River. Pretty much ideal. Cheaper than the combination of the two other homes. No income tax in Nevada and cheaper property taxes and air conditioning. I'll miss seeing ML Soccer and MLBaseball but the new minor league stadium is supposed to be very nice. Opera and symphony won't be comparable, though, but San Francisco is a 5 hour drive. Great skiing--when the drought breaks, which it may do big time if the El Nino actually comes in, as it increasingly appears.
    Reno may get hot in the summer but it's a dry heat and it cools down--unlike Houston.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:37 AM   #77

Where are you living?
1 Br Condo Long Island, NY.

Is there snow?
Yes.

Why do you love your location?
Walking distance to the Supermarket and the Megamart. Short drive to many malls. Can be in Manhattan in 1.25 hours. Great access to the best doctors and all that NY has to offer.

Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.?
$316 maint (includes heat, gas, snow removal, landscaping), $230 month taxes, $0 mortgage. Electricity runs about $50 a month.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:12 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
    We're moving to Reno in a month, after selling both the Colorado cabin and the Houston house.
  2. Is there snow?
    Some but usually no more than 18" over the winter which is nothing compared to the Colorado cabin and a lot compared to Houston. I don't mind snow, as long as it melts.
    Reno offers the skiing and hiking (Tahoe and Sierra Valley) in a short drive, along with fly fishing on the Truckee a 1/4 mile from the house. And no Houston humidity. It's 4 hours from DS and his wife and home in the CA Central Valley. The youngest can easily fly from Seattle.
    More expensive than the Houston suburb, but the location is only a few miles from Downtown Reno and just off the Truckee River. Pretty much ideal. Cheaper than the combination of the two other homes. No income tax in Nevada and cheaper property taxes and air conditioning. I'll miss seeing ML Soccer and MLBaseball but the new minor league stadium is supposed to be very nice. Opera and symphony won't be comparable, though, but San Francisco is a 5 hour drive. Great skiing--when the drought breaks, which it may do big time if the El Nino actually comes in, as it increasingly appears.
    Reno may get hot in the summer but it's a dry heat and it cools down--unlike Houston.
Sounds like a nice town a lot of people like it. I have thought about Reno, Spokane, Boise or Amarillo but not much love out there for Amarillo. Of these what do you guys think?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Only been to Reno and Amarillo. I prefer Reno (proximity to Tahoe) over Amarillo, but only by a slight margin. After all, Amarillo has the Big Texan.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Only been to Reno and Amarillo. I prefer Reno (proximity to Tahoe) over Amarillo, but only by a slight margin. After all, Amarillo has the Big Texan.

I love the beauty of the Truckee River running through downtown Reno though some of the bums love the area too. Could be worse. Its usually to cold for them to jump in with a bar of soap thankfully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote