Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-02-2019, 02:40 AM   #121
Dryer sheet aficionado

This year I may need advice only. I've done my own with the HR Block software, but I'm not sure how to deal with multiple states. Federal is relatively straight forward, but DW got a job in another state and maintains an apartment there. It is only Oct, Nov & Dec income for her in that state (WV). All other income is my IRA withdrawals. From what I've read, WV has reciprocal agreement with VA, but the residency rules/definitions are a bit confusing.
rjsob58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

I’ve always done our taxes. Our tax situation has always been pretty simple and straight forward. Two incomes, mortgage, kids. I started using TT about 10 years ago, until then it was all by hand. When I retired earlier this year, I asked my financial advisor for an accountant recommendation. He said ‘why? If you’ve always done your own taxes, it gets simpler in retirement.’
scaubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsob58 View Post
This year I may need advice only. I've done my own with the HR Block software, but I'm not sure how to deal with multiple states. Federal is relatively straight forward, but DW got a job in another state and maintains an apartment there. It is only Oct, Nov & Dec income for her in that state (WV). All other income is my IRA withdrawals. From what I've read, WV has reciprocal agreement with VA, but the residency rules/definitions are a bit confusing.
I’ve found TT to handle multiple states very well. I’m guessing HRB would also. For the cost of the additional state software, I’d bet you’ll be good to go. Especially if your only concern is reciprocity. That’s pretty common and should be no problem for HRB to handle.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I’ve found TT to handle multiple states very well. I’m guessing HRB would also. For the cost of the additional state software, I’d bet you’ll be good to go. Especially if your only concern is reciprocity. That’s pretty common and should be no problem for HRB to handle.
+1 When I was working I routinely filed in multiple states as I provided client services in multiple states and each hour on our timesheets required a location code.... the firm provided us with access to TT iuding as many states as we needed.. and it worked flawlessly.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carple Tunnal View Post
Printed and filled in the blanks with a pen. Did the arithmetic with a calculator. Federal was 18 pages this year.

Saying you prepared you own taxes when you used Turbo Tax is like saying you prepared your own Thanksgiving dinner after microwaving a TV dinner.
I'm not into masochism. And I think I'd probably make a lot more mistakes trying to do it on paper myself.

Your analogy is bad because the end product of using TT is as good, if not better than doing it all by hand. It's more like you are raising a turkey from when it's hatched, and also butchering it, rather than just buying it ready to cook from the supermarket. Or something like that. A lot more work.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Used TurboTax for years. A few years I used a CPA and HR Block, but I always “pre-prepared” a return in TT to see if the CPA could find something I missed. But I almost always filed on my own (with their advice taken) because I wanted to own my own data and not be stuck forking over fees to someone else to get my data year after year. When I started doing IRA conversions, I had a tough time finding anyone that knew anything about them (this blog, however, was instrumental because all you folks seem to know that one). Then I found Block Advisors. An off shoot from HR Block but Sr. Level tax experts. They understood everything I was asking and at $55/hr, I can pay as I go. There is only one Block Advisor office in most big cities but I find this tool helpful when I need the research across all their advisors.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:44 AM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
I use Turbo Tax Home and Business, since starting a small consulting business. I also have a real estate investment in another state. So mine is not the simplest of returns. I've used other versions for at least the past decade. I had a CPA review my return a few years ago. She found a couple of errors that could have saved me money but not as much as she charged me for the review! And now I've made note of those tax saving entries. I ran into a problem with TT not indicating that some of the taxes I paid in 2018 were online estimated taxes, so the IRS returned $ to me that I did owe. But I got it straightened out with help from the TT online community. Maybe we should start a forum for Turbo Tax users here?
Old 10-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #128
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Your analogy is bad because the end product of using TT is as good, if not better than doing it all by hand. It's more like you are raising a turkey from when it's hatched, and also butchering it, rather than just buying it ready to cook from the supermarket. Or something like that. A lot more work.
I was referring to the act of preparing the dinner, not the quality of the food, nor implying my home cooking is better than a TV dinner. It seems to me that users of tax software feed information to the software, and the software prepares the tax return from that information. When I saw the subject line of this thread, I thought it meant people actually preparing their return themselves, but turned out that is not what the OP meant.
Carple Tunnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:58 PM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by t49eng View Post
Do my own taxes & lots of others, as a volunteer with AARP Tax Aide. IRS provides the software & we are IRS certified preparers after passing a test. I encourage others to give this a shot. Info can be found on the AARP web site.
I also did it as a volunteer until last year. With the new statnard deduction there were far fewer people that needed to file.
I have used TT for many years. I just got a notice that TT2019 will not work with Win7
I will have to see, because I do not want to upgrade my PC due to legacy programs.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Always used Quicken and trubotax since 1994, prior to that by hand. Never used or considered a CPA.

It is a great learning experience as you can learn strategies on how to reduce your taxes as others mentioned. Mine is relatively complex but does not require rocket science to complete.
ragabnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:53 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

DH always insisted that we do our own taxes. He still has that job . With TT help.

However I do the estimated taxes and tax planning as I manage all the investments and bill paying and cash flow/budget.

So now DH doing the annual taxes gives him a snapshot of our finances.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:14 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carple Tunnal View Post
I was referring to the act of preparing the dinner, not the quality of the food, nor implying my home cooking is better than a TV dinner. It seems to me that users of tax software feed information to the software, and the software prepares the tax return from that information. When I saw the subject line of this thread, I thought it meant people actually preparing their return themselves, but turned out that is not what the OP meant.
+1
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I don't. I could, but my husband has a business, and he wants me to deduct things that I think are kind of iffy (or that I happen to know are not legal). I dislike arguing about this. We have a good CPA who isn't afraid to tell him what's what. When DH retires, I'll resume doing our taxes with TurboTax.

You too? This is one reason we had a paid preparer for a couple of years. I got tired of debating with DH about deductions. After having someone else tell him that not everything qualified as a business deduction, he started to believe me. We are now back to preparing our own returns.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Do you prepare your own tax return?
Old 10-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you prepare your own tax return?

Hmm - I’m way in the minority here. I use a CPA but don’t pay anything because I developed a custom database system(Access) for his office that tracks the receipt, status and completion of all returns and who they are assigned to. I was amazed to see the huge percentage of returns that arrive just weeks before the deadline. Each year I do a system rollover for the next year and he does our taxes for free.

We moved to a different state a couple of years ago and we continue this arrangement using remote access. When I have an accounting question, I just email and he replies, no charge.

I will be so sad when he retires [emoji22]
Old 10-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #135
Dryer sheet wannabe

Been using Turbo Tax for 20+ years while working. Retired in 2017 and continued using TT. I like that it has previous years information and uploads seamlessly.
allegra3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I also did it as a volunteer until last year. With the new statnard deduction there were far fewer people that needed to file.
I have used TT for many years. I just got a notice that TT2019 will not work with Win7
I will have to see, because I do not want to upgrade my PC due to legacy programs.
Microsoft support for Win7 ends in a few months. If you continue to use your Win7 PC online after end of support know that you are putting your data at risk. I was in a similar position but I recently bought a new Win10 laptop and have successfully installed several legacy programs, such as MSMoney, on the new laptop that are running fine.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:43 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

For awhile when I had less investments, I did my own taxes without any software.
In the last 5 years or so, I've used TurboTax bought at Costco. This has become necessary with all the different equities I've invested. My returns used to have 6-10 pages; now they're closer to 20.
pc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #138
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had used a tax preparer for 10-15 years. He only charged $210 so it was a no brainer. Last year I did Turbo Tax and it wasn't too bad even with the complex return we have.

Personal return, DW and I both have LLC's for self employed income and 10 rental properties.

Since I bought the software I also did returns for my father, MIL and son.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
I had used a tax preparer for 10-15 years. He only charged $210 so it was a no brainer. Last year I did Turbo Tax and it wasn't too bad even with the complex return we have.

Personal return, DW and I both have LLC's for self employed income and 10 rental properties.

Since I bought the software I also did returns for my father, MIL and son.

Do you prepare schedule Es for the rental or schedule C? My understanding is that you need to do schedule Es even though they are owned by LLCs.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #140
Dryer sheet aficionado

Have never used a tax preparer or CPA. One audit in 2005, due to huge loss in 2004 from Hurricane Ivan, paying no Federal Tax. Sailed through the audit. Thought it would get easier in retirement, but I now have my own consulting business (very part time), so I had to learn all of the forms for that...
NavAir is offline   Reply With Quote