Join Early Retirement Today

Do you spend dividends in taxable accounts or reinvest
Old 12-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you spend dividends in taxable accounts or reinvest

Hi,

We retired in march of this year. Our luck would have the market falter but fortunately, despite building a new house and outfitting it, I was able to live on only a 9k draw from short term bonds because of other income. I would think it advantageous to reinvest dividends in a taxable acct as they are qualified dividends (vanguard total stock) and should incur a 0% tax rate. I would gladly take them as cash and spend if the market was up from our cost basis but alas, it is not. Therefore, why not reinvest the dividends and draw down more from short term bonds? (ie, spend from what has done the best this year?)

Thanks.
Quantum Sufficit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IMO, reinvesting dividends is a good idea. I have been doing all my investing life. The power of compounding is awesome
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard Total Stock this year is only 95% qualified dividends. Large-cap index is 100% qualified dividends.

But why have any bonds in a taxable accounts? That's generally not tax-efficient. So look at the big overall pictures. If your bonds were in tax-advantaged accounts, you could spend the stock dividends and even sell stock held long-term to get the 0% LTCG tax rate. If your asset allocation was messed up by selling too much stock, then exchange from bonds to stocks in your tax-advantaged account.

So tax-efficient equities in a taxable account can be tax-free. It is like having more money in your Roth IRA when it is done right.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Burns a hold in my pocket. Dividends are deposited into my checking account and just "go" for "whatever". Just another source of cash flow. I only know how much my dividends add up to when I do my taxes the following year.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #5

I take all my dividends. Between those, SS and pensions, I have enough to leave my investments alone. However at some point I may start taking up to 4% each year, though right now I don't know what I would spend the money one yet.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
IMO, reinvesting dividends is a good idea. I have been doing all my investing life. The power of compounding is awesome
I reinvested dividends all my (accumulation) investing life, also. Now, in the decumulation(?) phase, I take the cash.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Reinvesting dividends is no different than taking the cash and immediately rebuying, only it is done a day or two more quickly if you do it automatically. There is no tax advantage to reinvesting. You report the dividend income no matter what, at 0% or 15% depending on your bracket. Whether you reinvest has no bearing on the taxes.

If you want to rebuy what you're getting dividends on, reinvesting is fine. If you want the flexibility to invest in whatever you want, or spend that cash and hold other investments, don't reinvest. I like the flexibility. If I really want more of the fund that gave dividends, I can rebalance.

It really doesn't matter that much. If you reinvest but decide that's not what you really wanted to do, you can quickly sell (with SpecID basis) and probably have very little short term gain or less.

I just prefer to keep it simple. I need a certain amount of cash throughout the year. I can get much of it with the dividends. Then I look at how I want my investments to be, and rebalance if needed.

I don't quite get the last sentence in the OP's post. Were short term bonds actually the best investment this year?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #8

I don't auto reinvest any distribution in taxable accounts, but do in most cases in tax free or deferred accounts. That doesn't mean I spend the distributions. Most are reinvested as part of re-balancing or in new investments.
In retirement you do have to get your spending cash from somewhere. If you have a pension or are taking SS...that might do it. For people like me (too young for SS and no pension), we take it from cash or distributions.
But in retirement some of the rules may change for some. Assume you have no income source, so you take from cash, distributions or selling assets. Assuming taxes being filed MFJ with $2MM distributing 2% would give us $40k. With MFJ there is about $20k between the standard deduction and exemptions. What this means is that you can handle some bond or non-qualified distributions as you can offset at least $20k.

I would suggest validating the standard rules based on your own situation as to where different assets belong.
To auto reinvest or to just invest distributions based on other factors (like re-balancing) is a matter of choice.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #9

I reinvest - automatically.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

In my taxable accounts, I take dividends in cash. I use them for rebalancing and living expenses.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
In my taxable accounts, I take dividends in cash. I use them for rebalancing and living expenses.
Same here.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
I reinvested dividends all my (accumulation) investing life, also. Now, in the decumulation(?) phase, I take the cash.
+1. Those dividends are my paycheck!
Old 12-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #13

Reinvest. I'm in a process of shifting some funds in taxable account that pay high dividend to Roth IRA.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I let it build up in my money market and then I find something else to buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I take dividends as cash if they are going to be used to pay my expenses. Otherwise I reinvest them. Pretty simple.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #16

I've been re-investing for the last decade, but thinking this year I may switch a few to cash to help pay the tax bill. Seems easier than worrying about what to sell.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #17

I don't reinvest either and allow the dividends to go to the cash account. I use it to buy other positions or more of the same if I chose to do so. I have not started taking them as cash to bolster my living expenses….yet.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #18
Administrator

Now that we are in draw-down I use the dividends in the taxable accounts for expenses.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

When I was working I reinvested. Once I retired I take them in cash.. in effect the reduce my withdrawals since what we need exceeds our dividends.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
When I was working I reinvested. Once I retired I take them in cash.. in effect the reduce my withdrawals since what we need exceeds our dividends.
+ 1 Same here
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote