Do you still save each month if you are retired?

Two good pensions with one full SS and one spousal. The spousal will become a full benefit in 3 1/2 years at 70. Still saving and that will pick up even more at. 70. We are blessed

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I do not think it is unusual to live on pensions and SS and keep reinvesting the rest, for those of us dinosaur retirees with pensions:

"Where do affluent retirees get their income? Portfolios invested in stocks and bonds, you might think - but you'd be wrong. Turns out many are living mainly on Social Security and good old pensions."

COLUMN-Surprise: Even wealthy retirees live on Social Security and pensions | Reuters

Last edited:
Yes, I still save....even though I'm retired I still have car & house repairs. If you don't still save how are these expenses covered? I also save for travel and for a car purchase when my 8 year car dies. I also save in an emergency fund for the big house or medical things. This is all from my monthly pension which covers living expenses, savings and investments. I don't withdrawal from my TSP.

Nope! Spent 30+ years saving for retirement and now it's pay back time. Anything not spent from my SWR goes towards even a bigger vacation the next year, or we just eat out more. Plus I have some expensive hobbies which can always get more attention. Firecalc says it's safe so why not?

The kids will get whatever is left over.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

This is my first year and very odd about spending and saving. I only get a tiny SS check and spend more but I got another 60K inheritance and spent 35K on gifts and maybe trickle away a thousand or two more than my SS check a month so savings is up but I haven't made an effort to save. I should be going into a phase of spending about 1-2K more than my income until the end of December then will get a bunch of dividends and capital gains so the total for 4 months might be break even but my total invested money is up for the year about 100K after wasteful spending and gifts. Since I have over a million saved I should be able to spend 40K plus my SS so planning to spend 24K plus SS seems very wasteful yet safe.

Back
Top Bottom