Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2020, 05:09 AM   #301
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet_Gamer View Post
Among a handful of other drivers, I think a lot comes down to Italy.

If they can really get the lid on it and restart their economy, then yes, I think we've put in a bottom. Its a leading indicator.

If they can't get it under control in the next 10 days, then we may take another down leg as there isn't a viable model for other western economies to follow.
I don't often quote myself, but its been on my mind since I wrote it....along with any number of other opinions I've hung out there since!

Italy has continued a steady downtrend since I wrote this but certainly didn't resolve it in 10 days. They're demonstrating the decline is much slower than the ramp. Still, just 16 days after I wrote this, most of Europe shows the virus rapidly coming under control.

Hence, we haven't returned to a big down leg.

We also have glimmers of encouraging news:

Germany has jumped to the front of the train and announced a partial re-opening plan. I believe we'll see similar moves in other European countries in the next week. Plus a few US states are taking off the parking break. China's economy is spinning back up.

There is more anecdotal evidence to suggest the virus is far more wide spread than thought implying lower mortality and higher immunity. Stanford just published a study where they went deep on testing in a single CA county. Result was the virus was 50x more prevalent than had already been diagnosed. (https://spectator.us/stanford-study-...read-realized/)

The report on remdesivir is encouraging as well. Not only for its own potential utility but because it reminds us that the entire medical and pharmaceutical world has bent its will on this thing.

And, of course, governments continue to prop up businesses and families in an unprecedented way and healthcare systems the world over are ramping capacity to better manage future surges.

If some combination of these factors come true (less lethal, way closer to herd immunity, expanded healthcare capacity and an effective treatment), this thing fades far more quickly and into a backdrop of damaged but stabilized businesses. We'll all be wondering about how to clean up the wreckage, but the crisis will recede much sooner than if we have to wait for a vaccine.

The flip side:
-China closed two cities and is starting to admit they had a much bigger problem.
- Data coming out of nursing homes suggests we've been badly undercounting deaths among the elderly.
- Outbreaks continue to ramp in various US cities
- Russia & Japan are ramping
- No one knows what will happen in Africa, India, etc. but the living conditions and healthcare infrastructure point to something horrifying. Ecuador looks to be the leading indicator of what happens in a less developed country

Bottom line:

I think the market is spring loaded to the downside right now, but I don't think we will retest the lows in the next 6 weeks. (There, I said it!)

Too much good news is going to contend with the bad news.

A month from now we'll have a lot more real information to assess again, with the single most important piece of information being any level of scaled antibody testing among the general population. That's the missing puzzle piece.

(To ensure that we don't retest 18000, when the market was at 20K, I put in some buy orders for 10% down. My below market buy orders never trigger...so everyone is safe! )
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2020, 05:18 AM   #302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I don't know anything either. What I think I do know is stocks do not appear cheap to me right now. I found some bargains in March that seems to have dried up. Earnings don't look good going forward. We have not retested the lows yet either. But the big thing that stands out to me is the market seems to be going up faster than what would seem reasonable to me.
The market is going up fast because it’s wishing for a miracle and hoping that this all suddenly goes away magically.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:23 AM   #303
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The market is going up fast because it’s wishing for a miracle and hoping that this all suddenly goes away magically.
That sums it up pretty well.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:13 AM   #304
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
Love this quote “In a bear market, money returns to its rightful owners.”

here is a good read: "Here We Go Again"
http://www.oncoursefp.com/files/Vect...20%20final.pdf

Never heard that one before about money. The quote famously attributed to J.P. Morgan is "In a bear market, stocks return to their rightful owners"
Old 04-18-2020, 06:44 AM   #305
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet_Gamer View Post
Still, just 16 days after I wrote this, most of Europe shows the virus rapidly coming under control.

A month from now we'll have a lot more real information to assess again, with the single most important piece of information being any level of scaled antibody testing among the general population. That's the missing puzzle piece.
The best information we have (to date) on the potential spread of the virus among asymptotic people is from iceland. They have antibody tested 10% of their population and 1/2 of the tests came back positive from people who never had symptoms.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/europ...ntl/index.html
The Stanford test was not broad enough to rely on.

I have said this all along though. People need to separate how bad the virus really is from how people react to it. Regardless of what governments say you can or cannot do people will be avoiding anything with a crowd for some time. This is restaurants, airplanes, mass transportation, sports, etc.
Consumer spending IS the economy (70%). This means recession for this time period no matter what until consumers have the confidence to SPEND.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalanian6 View Post

I have questioned the numbers since the beginning of this pandemic. Without testing everyone (to generate a reasonably accurate denominator (amount infected)), how can they possibly generate a rate of mortality?

There will always be negative news, especially with the ridiculous spin our wonderful media puts on everything.

We have had much greater tragedies;
Agree we NEED a huge increase in testing in the USA.

The consensus sentiment is that this is not just "negative news", but rather the biggest crises the country / world has faced since WWII. So yes, we have had greater tragedies, they were WWII and the great depression. Not exactly a comforting benchmark.

The big caveat in all of this is if there is a medical miracle, and either a safe and effective treatment or vaccine becomes suddenly widely available. With that, everyone would get it and return to normal.

I have no idea where the lows will be, but would gladly take an even odds bet that the lows of March will be retested before there is widespread vaccination or effective treatment.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:45 AM   #306
gone traveling

The virus is one thing, but the damage to the economy concerns me even more at this point and I imagine the later will drive where the market goes even if the virus is squelched.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:51 AM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
While I like the quote, that news letter was worthless. Just regurgitation of “choose an AA and always stick to it regardless”, stating well worn borrowed factoids. Nothing wrong with that, but what does anyone need that kind of newsletter for? Reassurance?

I rather liked it. Even though an investor, like me, has adopted exactly this (classic Bogleheads) investment approach, it doesn’t mean we are built of cast iron and immune to the news cycle. I further liked this perspective for those of us who are globally diversified. Of course, YMMV:

“It might help if you broaden your investment philosophy. Rather than looking at your portfolio as an investment in individual securities or various funds, think of it as your investment in the global growth of the free enterprise system. Current woes aside, the worldwide expansion of the free enterprise system will continue. Around the globe, millions have been unchained from the bondage of poverty in the last two decades. This expansion in global prosperity will continue, even if interrupted at points along the way.”
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #308
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
+1 The stock market currently seems to be anchored into wishful thinking for the future and overfocused on the virus and its paths/slopes rather than on the damage to the economy caused by the mitigation actions that we needed to take to avoid a public health disaster.

In the last month, 20 million jobs went "poof" and that is probably significantly underreported due to problems processing unemployment claims, not counting the self-employed or furloughed, etc. It will take a while for those jobs to come back and for consumers to have the confidence to start spending again.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #309

Here is another way to look at this market. No, I am not saying that this is accurate , but here it goes:

The bear market really started in late 2018. Then we bounced off those lows big time in 2019 and early 2020. Then, while still in the bear market, we bottomed at 2191 this year and the new bull market started in March 2020.

That's a theory I recently read. I have a hard time buying it. My biggest problem with it, are stocks seem just too darned expensive to start a new bull market. But with rates at zero, maybe the old order has changed. I don't think it has, but maybe. I am still expecting we go lower to retest the low of 2191.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #310
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
Here is another way to look at this market. No, I am not saying that this is accurate , but here it goes:

The bear market really started in late 2018. Then we bounced off those lows big time in 2019 and early 2020. Then, while still in the bear market, we bottomed at 2191 this year and the new bull market started in March 2020. ...
Sounds like poppycock to me.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #311
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Agree - a 14 month upward dash - nah.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #312

Quote:
I agree with you. Like I said, I don't buy it. I question it big time. It's possible yes, I admit it's possible, but extremely unlikely.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #313
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1 The stock market currently seems to be anchored into wishful thinking for the future and overfocused on the virus and its paths/slopes rather than on the damage to the economy caused by the mitigation actions that we needed to take to avoid a public health disaster.

In the last month, 20 million jobs went "poof" and that is probably significantly underreported due to problems processing unemployment claims, not counting the self-employed or furloughed, etc. It will take a while for those jobs to come back and for consumers to have the confidence to start spending again.
I am curious how did you react to the markets in 2008-2009.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:06 AM   #314

Maybe this storm wipes us out for awhile and the stocks go to to 18,000 or whatever. But 10 years from now I bet stocks will be double the lows or better so that is where my money is. Reacting to short-term events is a great money maker but I don’t want to spend the brain power to study it.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #315
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I bought equities and junk bonds. I even borrowed money on a HELOC to buy bonds and preferreds I could tell were money good and trading at double digit yields. We are nowhere near that.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #316
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I bought equities and junk bonds. I even borrowed money on a HELOC to buy bonds and preferreds I could tell were money good and trading at double digit yields. We are nowhere near that.
LOL, use HELOC to buy equities
Old 04-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #317

Quote:
Why do you laugh? You've stated that you've NEVER lost a penny in the market for decades. Seems to me you would want to get as much cash into the market as possible?

Now, I would never borrow to invest in the market, but I've lost money before.
PatrickA5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #318
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At 20 or more time earnings? No thank you.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #319
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Why do you laugh? You've stated that you've NEVER lost a penny in the market for decades. Seems to me you would want to get as much cash into the market as possible?

Now, I would never borrow to invest in the market, but I've lost money before.
I am still up over 350% since 1995 even with the 30% drop March 23rd. I already bought close to 580K when the DOW was dropping from 24,000-18,500 and currently break even YTD. You need to focus on long term, ignore the noises and control your emotion because we invest based on having the best economy, best technology, best science and human ingenuity or else why even invest at all and just stay on cash. Do you really think the markets will not hit new high 10 years from now ?
Old 04-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #320
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It was a bit different because I was working then and had a steady job that paid very well. Other people who I knew were bailing, but I stayed the course... I didn't sell and just kept with whatever retirement contributions that I had in place. At the same time, my AA was literally screaming at me to sell bonds and buy stocks but I couldn't quite summon up the courage to do that and in retrospect it cost me a lot.