Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #481
gone traveling

it seems quite a few on this board are not only pessimistic, but almost upset the market is rallying; i guess i don't understand negative comments about a positive market.

the market has never really been predictable, nor does it care if you think it's overvalued...so why not just enjoy the ride?
lalanian6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #482
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^ Beautiful well stated!
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #483
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocold View Post
I disagree. The fed is there 1) to provide liquidity, including as the lender of last resort and 2) to mitigate against economic stock through monetary policy. How well they do this is reflected in confidence in the stock market, but they don't "prop" the stock market directly. Rather than these vague accusations, can you list what specific actions they have taken that are counter to #1 or #2 or actions where they bought stocks directly to increase stock prices?
However you want to frame it, the bottom line is they are propping up the stock market. It is what it is.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:24 PM   #484
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalanian6 View Post
it seems quite a few on this board are not only pessimistic, but almost upset the market is rallying; i guess i don't understand negative comments about a positive market.

the market has never really been predictable, nor does it care if you think it's overvalued...so why not just enjoy the ride?
I think this is an unsustainable bubble. Usually when bubbles burst there is a lot of collateral damage.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #485
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So many here know EXACTLY what will happen, but since they split 50/50, half of them are wrong.

Which half? I know, but I won't tell.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #486
Moderator Emeritus

So happy with how the market is doing now. Today was my ALL TIME HIGH for my total of portfolio + bank accounts.

W... W... Oh fooey, how about WOW!!! I am so happy.

My prior all time high for this sum was on 2/14/2020. I did get a tax refund since then, plus SS, plus mini-pension, plus stimulus money, plus dividends, all of which helped push my total over the edge.

Just to be clear, this is not due to any investing acumen. As always when the market tanked, I just froze and did nothing except rebalance once according to my written rebalancing rules, on 3/23/2020.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So happy with how the market is doing now. Today was my ALL TIME HIGH for my total of portfolio + bank accounts.

W... W... Oh fooey, how about WOW!!! I am so happy.

My prior all time high for this sum was on 2/14/2020. I did get a tax refund since then, plus SS, plus mini-pension, plus stimulus money, plus dividends, all of which helped push my total over the edge.

Just to be clear, this is not due to any investing acumen. As always when the market tanked, I just froze and did nothing except rebalance once according to my written rebalancing rules, on 3/23/2020.
Oh Great. NOW we have a NEW W-word to worry about. Must be time to sell.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #488
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Oh Great. NOW we have a NEW W-word to worry about. Must be time to sell.
I wonder? Oh well, for me it seems like it is always time to wait and do nothing. That's good because I don't know enough about the market to do anything else.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #489
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I wonder? Oh well, for me it seems like it is always time to wait and do nothing. That's good because I don't know enough about the market to do anything else.
I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #490
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Agree. Perhaps they have a (in)vested interest.
True. Everyone has their level of volatility that they can handle. Investing is a person's own choice whichever way they choose to do it.
mckittri2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #491
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalanian6 View Post

As long as you are prepared to "enjoy the ride" irrespectivel of whether it is sharply up or sharply down, then by all means go for it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #492
gone traveling

As long as you are prepared to "enjoy the ride" irrespectivel of whether it is sharply up or sharply down, then by all means go for it.

Oh, I am; thanks.
lalanian6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:48 PM   #493
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
As a long timeframe investor, that's what I do and have been doing for over 20 years. I'll let the market timers time. Rarely change anything, including at all this year. Down <3% since Feb. Works for me I think, but I don't know the future.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #494
Give me a forum ...

If the market continues to go [mod edit] up, I will probably start accumulating a position in gold, especially as the money printing continues. Can't think of a better way to avoid the eventual crack up.

- George Orwell

Old 06-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #495
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
If the market continues to go [mod edit] up, I will probably start accumulating a position in gold, especially as the money printing continues. Can't think of a better way to avoid the eventual crack up.
Could be a short deflationary cycle before the inflation cycle where long LTreas. could work in a possible negative yield scenario.
Thoughts?
Old 06-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #496
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Already there with 8-10% in Au ETF's and have been - as a long time frame investor.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #497
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
However you want to frame it, the bottom line is they are propping up the stock market. It is what it is.
Would you have preferred that they didn't provide backup when no banks were underwriting any loans in March, so all the companies who couldn't generate any income and didn't have enough cash reserves to declare bankruptcy so we go into a depression? Would that have made you feel better? What policies would you have pursued if you were in their situation?

Quote:
That's why portfolio and risk management are important.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:15 PM   #498
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Could be a short deflationary cycle before the inflation cycle where long LTreas. could work in a possible negative yield scenario.
Thoughts?
Hard to buy long term treasuries in perhaps the most highly manipulated of the markets. I will say that at some point I will get tired of paying 3.5 percent on a small mortgage when my higher rate CDs mature.

- George Orwell

Old 06-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #499
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I wonder? Oh well, for me it seems like it is always time to wait and do nothing.
That's good because I don't know enough about the market to do anything else.
The best investing strategy ever. Buy the market and wait...
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpop View Post
The Fed is propping up the economy, the market is along for the ride.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote