Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
+1

With the market down only about 20% from its top, it's hardly a bargain considering that it was overvalued then, and the economy is going to take a big hit with many industries in tatters.
Yep. Don't understand today's valuations even with all the stimulus.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #102
Confused about dryer sheets

Yes, I have a good feeling about this..
Rick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingLife View Post
When "a bottom is agreed on," will somebody kindly let me know?

Asking for a friend ....
I think I will be able to confidently tell you about a week after it happens!
Lienlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:51 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienlord View Post
I think I will be able to confidently tell you about a week after it happens!
A week? Thatís pretty good!
Old 04-07-2020, 06:06 AM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you think Dow 18,000 was the bottom?

No one can travel to Las Vegas right now but, no matter, people can still gamble with their portfolios instead!
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:13 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Up 5% yesterday and the futures at +3% now. If you sold to cash do you get back in? Probably not because we could be facing a lot more downside. I can't see a good way to time things when you go all in either way. Seems to make more sense to pick an AA and stick with it or maybe play around in a range to see if you can make a good call. But maybe that's just my risk profile talking.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #107

This market is like War Games. The only solution is not to play.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #108

Question: With the markets being up the last couple of days if you're above your strike price by a little would you sell a small portion say 10-20% to lock in a small profit and buy back in later at a lower price? Since many believe the market will dip again as companies don't earn a profit, businesses close, unemployment goes much much higher.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:39 AM   #109

Business cycle: stocks probably heading lower
"The Rona: stocks probably heading lower
Fed printing and blindly buying: stocks probably heading higher
And a new factor not normally on the radar, people looking for inflation harbors: stocks probably heading higher.

Time for the coin flip tie-breaker.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
And a new factor not normally on the radar, people looking for inflation harbors: stocks probably heading higher.

That's why I am 50% in. Heh heh heh...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #111

yeah I think so.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

One interesting thing to me is how many companies have withdrawn earnings guidance and refused to provide any revised guidance.... it tells me that they are as uncertain of the way forward as we are.

Quote:
It’s been a part of every business quarter: company executives report how much money their firm made over the last three months and then tell investors what the firm expects to do over the next three months and fiscal year. Indeed, firms did just that in January and February, during their last earnings calls.

But now, companies are telling investors to disregard all that. Company executives have said they can’t guide investors on revenues or profits, not only for the coming quarter but for the foreseeable future. Several airlines, hotels, and other travel-related companies made such announcements last week, and on Monday a major electronics retailer and a semiconductor company joined in. Experts predict that the practice of “withdrawing guidance,” will only increase over the coming weeks as companies begin the traditional first-quarter earnings report period. ...
https://www.kornferry.com/insights/a...ce-coronavirus

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
This market is like War Games. The only solution is not to play.
Smartest advice now!
Old 04-07-2020, 03:22 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post

The recession we are in is unlike any in modern history. Hard to understand what will happen and when. We have never seen the kind of unemployment that is currently the case. OK, were that high in the 30s, but find an adult who remembers it from personal experience. I will be awaiting better prices before I commit capital. Frankly, if today's rally had held and continued to a pop tomorrow, I was ready to start shorting.

- George Orwell

Old 04-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #115

I’m not ready to compare today’s environment to the Great Depression. The world looks very different today. We can do much more with technology that wasn’t remotely possible 90 years ago. And our medical science is vastly different.

I have no doubt we will lose a lot of lives and suffer economically but I do believe we will find a way to recover, just as we did in 2000 and 2008. But it may take years if we can’t flatten the curve and get at least some businesses going again fairly quickly.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Iím not ready to compare todayís environment to the Great Depression. The world looks very different today. We can do much more with technology that wasnít remotely possible 90 years ago. And our medical science is vastly different.

I have no doubt we will lose a lot of lives and suffer economically but I do believe we will find a way to recover, just as we did in 2000 and 2008. But it may take years if we canít flatten the curve and get at least some businesses going again fairly quickly.
Don't count on a "V" recovery with this one. I am optimistically hoping for a U.

- George Orwell

Old 04-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

I fear that the next leg down will be absolutely brutal. We'll be wishing for DJIA 18k at that point.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Don't count on a "V" recovery with this one. I am optimistically hoping for a U.
Agreed. While some businesses will be able to reopen, many will still be forced to stay closed until we either believe the virus has been eradicated or we find a vaccine or at least a treatment for those infected.

I think it will be a long time before massage therapists go back to work. And Iím not sure if we will see people dining inside restaurants any time soon. But I could see retail stores like Macyís reopening with limits on how many people can be inside at once.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:09 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

+2... I'm very skeptical of a V recovery.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Agreed. While some businesses will be able to reopen, many will still be forced to stay closed until we either believe the virus has been eradicated or we find a vaccine or at least a treatment for those infected.

I think it will be a long time before massage therapists go back to work. And Iím not sure if we will see people dining inside restaurants any time soon. But I could see retail stores like Macyís reopening with limits on how many people can be inside at once.
A big part of the economy that would be possible to reopen sooner is the white collar cubicle dweller community. Many of these guys are in 8x8 cubicles or actual offices. Social distancing by sitting in every third chair in a conference room, closing every other urinal, etc. is doable.

And perhaps companies will reverse the open floor plan nonsense.

Reopening financial companies, publishers, engineering companies, engineering departments of manufacturers, and other residents of generic office buildings would help a lot. They might operate a little less efficiently, but that's much better than not operating at all.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
ďThere is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.Ē - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote