Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
How about shirtless with a six-pack...
Wait, what kind of beer?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
Hear, hear, it's about time we had a little reverse sexism on these boards!

(Please don't be offended gentlemen, but it is nice to have a change in posting tone for once. )
They're too busy watching Daisy in Dukes of Hazzard reruns (http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1496743) to be offended
Old 09-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I feel kinda proud to be a part of so many thread diversions at one time. A new personal best!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausfrau View Post
I just watched it. It was OK, but sometimes these documentaries make me feel too judgmental. Especially the older couple who bought a large house in the Bay Area with a huge mortgage in their late 50's/early 60's. What were they thinking?
My sentiment exactly. I was casing the place in my mind to see how I can save more - they had nice furniture they could sell (have you noticed a harb behind the couch also?) I would have made sausage Paella instead of shrimp Paella. I would have gotten room mates way before the relatives showed up, etc, etc. And the wine? (It's OK if it was TJ's for special occasions.) They sure weren't acting like they were short of money. I don't know when that particular segment was filmed (I didn't watch the whole thing.) but the prices in the bay area has come back strong already so it is certainly not 50% down from the top of the market. They might have already sold the place for a very good price by now.

Maybe they couldn't sell this documentary because at least for me, it didn't provoke any sympathy or thoughts except that they should have prepared better.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

I just watched it. First thing that jumped out at me was how everybody seemed to have a paper cup of starbuck's coffee. That'd be the first thing to go if I needed to improve my financial situation!
almost_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #26

Tried to find an image of a very old, very fat guy with a six pack of beer but couldn't find one. Sorry to disappoint ladies.

I'll probably watch at least part of the movie but based on my impression of the trailer there will be no surprises. "Many people have failed to save or prepare for retirement." Who knew?
Old 09-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Hear, hear, it's about time we had a little reverse sexism on these boards!

(Please don't be offended gentlemen, but it is nice to have a change in posting tone for once. )
No problemo. In fact, I think everyone should be shirtless.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Ha!

I agree - everyone shirtless AND with a six pack of beer. (Good beer.)
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

So since it does appear that there is a retirement crisis possibly on the horizon.

Do you guys think we need some type of retirement system(option) in this country?

The 401k is probably not going to work for low income earners and even some low middle income earners.

Frontline did a good piece on the 401k "The retirement gamble". Sure most here have seen it.

Obviously people in this community have it together but many Americans just don't seem interested in learning about saving for retirement.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[URL][ https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqOYS-gCIAAv6DY.jpg URL]

My kind of six pack!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #31

Watching the activist Nick, who spends his time as an "activist: trying to get something done to avoid his 23% reduction in social security, but who apparently has no qualms spending 150K, which would provide 6K per year of retirement income or 50% of the social security average payment displayed during the documentary, of his parent's money on his college education and secondary school, while at the same time having a refrigerator full of spoiled food and having the 'rents come over to clean, supply and prepare a meal, while not working and being an "activist" on social security, because his generation is being "screwed" in his words.

. Having that individual speak as a voice of reason on retirement is priceless irony.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
So since it does appear that there is a retirement crisis possibly on the horizon.

Do you guys think we need some type of retirement system(option) in this country?
Between SS and other available social services nobody is going to starve. Even here in WV, not known for high incomes and generous social services, that is the case. And if someone didn't plan ahead and can't afford to cruise the world in retirement or keep their mcmansion, well, that's a situation of their own making.

And I see it with other people I know and relatives, as we've all discussed in other threads. They think the solution to every impulsive "I wanna..." is charge it or take out a loan and then "Surprise!" something happens that they can't work anymore or "Surprise!" you're 68 years old and a health issue or out of date skills forces retirement.

What did these people think was going to happen?
Old 09-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Oooh, and I thought I was the only one with this disorder! I hate committing to watching a movie, unless it is a really short one.
I am also a member of MADD anonymous. I watch trailers only or watch movies during commercials of other programs.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #34

Is full comfortable retirement the next 'Right' coming down the pike? A thought not really a question. So no need to answer. The pig will be here soon enough.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

watching it now. so far there is very little financial info on any of these financial failures.

while i feel bad for them i somehow think they committed their own financial suicide.all well and good that woman loves her cello . but making 23k a year you would think it would occur to her to find a real job with real money.

just once i want to see folks wqho were successful at saving and retiring.
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Ha!

I agree - everyone shirtless AND with a six pack of beer. (Good beer.)
Bravo gentlemen . . . nicely done!
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Bravo gentlemen . . . nicely done!
One of us ain't no gentleman.

Actually, according to some that know me, neither am I - but that's a different matter altogether.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Watching the activist Nick, who spends his time as an "activist: trying to get something done to avoid his 23% reduction in social security, but who apparently has no qualms spending 150K, which would provide 6K per year of retirement income or 50% of the social security average payment displayed during the documentary, of his parent's money on his college education and secondary school, while at the same time having a refrigerator full of spoiled food and having the 'rents come over to clean, supply and prepare a meal, while not working and being an "activist" on social security, because his generation is being "screwed" in his words.

. Having that individual speak as a voice of reason on retirement is priceless irony.

Very well said. I missed some of the irony while 1/2 watching it. Actually I quit after watching a bit more than a 1/2 the movie. So I guess I 1/4 watched the film.

Honestly these documentaries are so predictable that I have a hard time keeping my eyes open. Older worker that got laid off in his 50s, divorcee working at minimum wage, the person who gets hit with a serious illness, hard working family man taking care of his kids who doesn't save for retirement, young person struggling with student debt.

All of these people would somehow be saved if only we brought back the pension plans of the golden age of yesteryear. Just once I'd like one of the documentaries to acknowledge, that majority of American never got a pension plan, because the Fortune 500 has always employed less that 1/2 the workers. If the ever come up with a retirement system the works for Bill, who has been managing Smithville Hardware for the last 30 years, or Sue who's be the top real estate agent for 20 years, I'd like to hear it.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:43 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, I posted this...bitter much?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hopefully this film will motivate some younger people to fund their retirement savings.

I watched it and it definitely motivates me to keep super saving. I won't judge the people in the movie.

If you consider maxing out a 401k and a Roth through a decade only allows for 230k it just doesn't seem like much cash.

Obviously you can put money elsewhere but most Americans cannot save 23k per year.

With stock market cooperation you can do well long term. Fingers crossed.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote