Documentary on debt in America

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
An article on the release of a new documentary, "Maxed Out". MySA.com: Business

"My only agenda going into it was making something funny and entertaining," said Scurlock, a Los Angeles-based filmmaker and business-school dropout who hoped the movie would follow the success of "Super Size Me," a documentary that recorded director Morgan Spurlock's fast-food binge. "If I had known what it would turn into, I'd have never made it. It's a darker movie than I expected to make."

Here is a sobering statement:

"...more U.S. citizens will file bankruptcy this year than graduate from college, get divorced or diagnosed with cancer."

Thanks for the heads up. I thought Scurlock's "Super Size Me" was outstanding. I also enjoyed the show he had on FX called "Thirty Days," where he spent a month in the life as a prisoner, person under the poverty level, etc. This documentary looks really interesting. I added it to my Netflix queue.

Thanks for the heads up. I thought Scurlock's "Super Size Me" was outstanding. I also enjoyed the show he had on FX called "Thirty Days," where he spent a month in the life as a prisoner, person under the poverty level, etc. This documentary looks really interesting. I added it to my Netflix queue.

Don't confuse the two. Spurlock was the one who made Supersize me.

This guy just has a similar sounding name

Yeah, you're right. Pretty weird that Scurlock and Spurlock are both documentary film makers investigating corporate greed.

No sh*t Sherlock, er ... Scurlock

"...more U.S. citizens will file bankruptcy this year than graduate from college, get divorced or diagnosed with cancer."

Fairly intuitive, considering those activities (among others) are good CAUSES of bankruptcy...

American Bankers Association spokeswoman Tracey Mills said there are U.S. consumers caught in predatory lending schemes but cautioned against assuming that the tragic stories in "Maxed Out" reflect the majority of consumers' experiences with credit.

"Ninety-five percent of credit-card accounts are current, meaning they pay their bills on time every month," she said. "Let's not look at a few cases where people have had a hard time and assume that represents the majority."

A little misleading. All "current" means is that they have succesfully paid the minumum each month. Doesn't mean they aren't in trouble!

Agreed, Gindie. Plenty of people pay that bill because they fear what happens if they miss it. Namely, that their source of spending money gets cut off.

An article on the release of a new documentary, "Maxed Out". MySA.com: Business

Here is a sobering statement:

Well given the choice, I would definitely take bankruptcy over cancer.

Ha

Super size me was great. Credit Card debt and a movie that turned out darker than hoped for hmmmm?
Some folks do get blindsided with losing a job and having a medical issue or vice versa, but it is amazing how many people end up neck deep in s&#t for stuff and they can't even tell you what the stuff was. Cut up the CC's or at least get down to one that you don't use. Stop shopping as a stress reliever it is a stress creator. Pay cash cash cash. i could get robbed every week this year or lose my wallet etc. and still come out ahead of the person using credit. Card user's on average spend 15% more than people paying cash.

I have a close friend with the opposite financial philosophy as we on this board. Her and her DH want to live life while they are young, but consider living to mean having all the toys.

This friend's family has one income ~60k, 4 kids under age 10, 175k mortgage, minimal 401k, NO college savings, and FOUR cars. Old paid for Cherokee, minivan bought w/ HELOC & paying interest only for four years now, and the toys are financed for five years each - 2007 Wrangler and 2006 Mustang.

They don't understand why I don't trade in my 9 year old honda for a new car payment. They feel bad that I am 'depriving' myself, when of course I don't see it that way at all.

Writing this out it seems odd that we are so close, but outside of finances we do actually have a lot of common interests!

blasts the financial industry for extending credit to high-risk consumers

Ah, this is the single key that unlocks the mystery of the current problems with debt. The moment that one guy realized "Hey, instead of turning down high-risk people for borrowing, we should encourage them, and charge them high interest rates!" the debt crisis was born.

I don't think that (the collective) we on this board, are on a mission to convert the unwashed masses.

We here are to teach and learn and support each other .... I saw the statistic on this board as compared to a luxury purse site. We don't even make a pimple on their membership numbers or number of posts.

One of my favorite posters is that of a pig sitting in a wallow of slop. The caption is ' never try to teach a pig to sing ... it wastes your time and annoys the pig'.

IOne of my favorite posters is that of a pig sitting in a wallow of slop. The caption is ' never try to teach a pig to sing ... it wastes your time and annoys the pig'.
One of my cow-orkers saw this website up on my monitor and laughed at it. The idea early retirement is amusing to her. Of course, she traded in her three month old luxury car for another one since she didn't like the way it drove. Each to their own.

One of my cow-orkers saw this website up on my monitor and laughed at it. The idea early retirement is amusing to her. Of course, she traded in her three month old luxury car for another one since she didn't like the way it drove. Each to their own.
They never do get it. One of my co-w*rkers asked me how I could do 'it'... meaning how could I afford to do this.... she had worked 38 years and still had to work a 'few more years' to get it together .... of course she does have a very nice 'down-sized' McMansion (only 3800 sf), new car, and vacation home (2 years old). I told them I got 'lucky' in the market ..... did NOT want to annoy the pig .... :D

I have a close friend with the opposite financial philosophy as we on this board. Her and her DH want to live life while they are young, but consider living to mean having all the toys.

And I have a close friend with the same LBYM financial philosophy as us. . . but her husband has the opposite financial philosophy. This results in uncomfortable conversations where I drive over to her house in my 10 year old Toyota and ask her what's up with the brand new SUV sitting in their driveway. I ask because I know they regularly have trouble paying their monthly bills. Answer: her husband felt he 'deserved' it because other people he knows have nice SUVs.

My friend asks me for pointers about investing because she plans to have the money some day to finally start their retirement savings. I have to tell her that until she and her husband share the same financial goals, there's no point to discussing this. He spends every dime left in their checking account (there is NO savings account) so there will be nothing to save or invest until their situation changes. Am I being too harsh? It seems immoral to suggest that she start hiding money in a secret savings account. I wish she'd leave him (isn't that a sad thing to wish for your friend?)

Signed,
Troubled Friend in the Northwest

p.s. I talked to her recently so I'm mostly venting here. If you have constructive suggestions I certainly wouldn't mind hearing them but I will admit to being skeptical that I can influence this situation for the better other than just 'being there' for her.

I created a mythical 'Godfather' who made me an offer I couldn't refuse/skimed his cut off the top before I ever saw the money - ie auto deducted to 401k/IRA etc the max amount I could tax defer so it was just another deduction from the paycheck.

Partied till we puked on the rest - after all we did live in New Orleans.

heh heh heh - that was the thinking - in actual fact I did suffer bouts of extreme LYBM.

My friend asks me for pointers about investing because she plans to have the money some day to finally start their retirement savings. I have to tell her that until she and her husband share the same financial goals, there's no point to discussing this. He spends every dime left in their checking account (there is NO savings account) so there will be nothing to save or invest until their situation changes. Am I being too harsh? It seems immoral to suggest that she start hiding money in a secret savings account. I wish she'd leave him (isn't that a sad thing to wish for your friend?)

Signed,

p.s. I talked to her recently so I'm mostly venting here. If you have constructive suggestions I certainly wouldn't mind hearing them but I will admit to being skeptical that I can influence this situation for the better other than just 'being there' for her.

Today on Oprah a financial counselor said that every married woman should have a savings account in her own name. She's working, right? Does she have a 401K? If not, she needs to open the IRA. She should also have an emergency savings account in her own name if her husband won't agree to fund it jointly. If her husband disagrees with her having a savings account then the problem in their marriage is pretty obvious. I don't think that women still have to obey their husbands to the detriment of their financial well being. Didn't that arrangement end a few years back?

Today on Oprah a financial counselor said that every married woman should have a savings account in her own name. She's working, right? Does she have a 401K? If not, she needs to open the IRA. She should also have an emergency savings account in her own name if her husband won't agree to fund it jointly.

She is only working part time so no benefits. She has an at-risk teen at home so I wouldn't be comfortable suggesting that she work full time for another 2-3 years.

If her husband disagrees with her having a savings account then the problem in their marriage is pretty obvious. I don't think that women still have to obey their husbands to the detriment of their financial well being. Didn't that arrangement end a few years back?

Don't get me started.:bat: Oops, too late. It's not a love/obey-commanded relationship, but close. They both come from strongly religious, conservative backgrounds and follow the model of husband as family leader and wife as advisor. He needs to listen to her more often, but he doesn't. I think he has mild depression that makes him not care as much as he should.

I don't think I'd be in a good position to suggest that she start the separate savings account (if her husband found out that I was the one suggesting it, there could be fallout). But if she raises that topic again, I could take a stronger position in confirming that is indeed what she should do. I'd be morally okay with that kind of approach.

Sigh.....

Thanks for the input, Oldbabe.

I don't think I'd be in a good position to suggest that she start the separate savings account (if her husband found out that I was the one suggesting it, there could be fallout). But if she raises that topic again, I could take a stronger position in confirming that is indeed what she should do. I'd be morally okay with that kind of approach.

Sigh.....

Thanks for the input, Oldbabe.
I have seen that type of relationship before. If taken incorrectly, any advice that the husband stop spending would be seen as a threat to his moral authority and leadership style. As you noted, she is just an advisor and it sounds like he has his mind made up about how he wants to spend his money.[\b]

I can also appreciate what you mean about fallout. One of my friends is not currently speaking to me because her husband doesn't approved of the two of us discussing certain topics.

One of my friends is not currently speaking to me because her husband doesn't approved of the two of us discussing certain topics.

:rolleyes::rant::mad::duh: When will women learn to take care of themselves first? (Been there, done that.)

One of my favorite posters is that of a pig sitting in a wallow of slop. The caption is ' never try to teach a pig to sing ... it wastes your time and annoys the pig'.

I object to this uncomplementary characterization of Porcine-Americans...

Signed,

Sence they have a teenager the marrage is probably several years in and roles are quite set. A traditional approach might work best for a couple with traditional roles.

As the head of houshold the husband might be convinced that he needs to tend to wife's security needs for the future as well as today. It is a common stereotype/ truth that women need to nest and secure the home more than men . Savings is a form of that. Denying her that is denying her peace of mind. Planning for the future should be approched as a chance for him to care for her. That he will also benefit is a plus . (Getting finances under might even help any depression ) Emphasize that the inability to fulfill all the "wants " is not failure - working as a successful team is success.

Back
Top Bottom