Join Early Retirement Today

Absolutely!
Old 05-08-2023, 03:39 PM   #101
Dryer sheet aficionado

Absolutely!

I replaced a 20 yr old 3 ton gas pack AC/Heat unit even though it worked fine but sounded like a freight train outside the bedroom window. Mostly because I wanted to replace the ductwork too.

Also replaced a functioning 20 yr old gas water heater which had a 9 yr design life.

Rather replace that stuff on my terms, I hate surprises.
Shardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2023, 09:24 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Hot water heater is the only one that should be proactively replaced because failure is often catastrophic, especially if it is located anywhere other than in an unfinished basement. And even then, it can do a lot of damage when it fails. Waiting until the basement is flooded and has taken out the heater, washer, and dryer is too late.
I think it is a water heater not a hot water heater, Lol.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:33 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I catch myself making this mistake from time to time. Easy to do.
gwill1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 11:07 AM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Wouldn't it really be a cold water heater , as ours only has a cold water inlet
Old 05-12-2023, 12:01 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We will replace our working refrigerator (12-13 years old) in the next several months. My wife has utterly despised it since we moved in in 2019, and her annoyance no longer seems to be worth the replacement cost.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:07 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
We will replace our working refrigerator (12-13 years old) in the next several months. My wife has utterly despised it since we moved in in 2019, and her annoyance no longer seems to be worth the replacement cost.
What features of this refrigerator make it so despicable? I can see that if it constantly leaks water, or needs frequent repairs, and the like, but is it just some "feature" that makes her hate this refrigerator so much?

I'd like to avoid one like that in the future if there are characteristics to avoid.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:33 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
What features of this refrigerator make it so despicable? I can see that if it constantly leaks water, or needs frequent repairs, and the like, but is it just some "feature" that makes her hate this refrigerator so much?
It is a bottom-of-the-line top freezer refrigerator with only a single temperature control, making it hard to get the freezer cold enough without the main compartment getting below freezing. So, there's a choice between soft ice cream and frozen lettuce.

She also wants a bottom freezer.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:39 PM   #108

That would do it for us too! Thanks.
Old 05-12-2023, 02:53 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
It is a bottom-of-the-line top freezer refrigerator with only a single temperature control, making it hard to get the freezer cold enough without the main compartment getting below freezing. So, there's a choice between soft ice cream and frozen lettuce.

She also wants a bottom freezer.
Other than water heaters and other high risk stuff that would create a major problem, my frugal nature is at odds with replacing anything that works - until it breaks or wears out. But I've had a few appliances I've really regretted purchasing for one reason or another. It always seems those are the ones that just. won't. die. Meanwhile the ones I like fail early.
FindingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 03:54 PM   #110

Hmmmm .... short answer, "no," however ... still "operating" is the key issue and what does his mean.

Sometimes is can mean the appliance works - but, is ugly, unreliable, uses significantly more power than a replacement, or is significantly less capable is some way. Or, associated with a remodel.

Insurance companies have really targeted this concept in a manner to reduce THEIR risk - raising rates if you don't replace water heaters or roofs.

Electric heaters in areas with OK water, will last a LONG time, and for the most part their efficiency is consistent, assuming same insulation. Some newer heat pump water heaters are so much less expensive to run, if one has a BIG family, it might sometimes make sense.

We did swap out a 30 yr old "garage refrigerator" last month - horribly rusted outside, but just purring along - but only because we inherited a nicer garage refrigerator. Trash pickup service glad to remove it, but put an ad in Marketplace and a fellow came and picked it up. Yep, he needed a "garage refrigerator." :-)
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:15 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxgal View Post
My 22 year old water heater worked fine, or so I thought. No leaks. But when I needed to replace thermocoupler I discovered the burner bar was crumbling. And the was some rust in other places. So I replaced it, reluctantly, and was surprised to suddenly have MUCH hotter water, and more of it. .... .
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Sort of the reverse of the frog in the boiling water story.

I think I'm in the same boat. 15 year old water heater, and noticeably less hot water. I'll take your recommendation and do my research now before it goes.
Wait a minute, this isn't adding up.

Water heaters have thermostats - they run until the water is hot. If the burner was not operating well, it would just run longer to get the water hot. The water would not be hotter or colder, and there would not be more or less of it - the thermostat controls that.

Unless you were at the extreme that it was running 100% of the time, and still not getting the water hot. I wish all appliances had some sort of run time or % duty cycle display on them - you'd know if there was a problem before it got to the point of failure.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 05:41 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

No, but i am thinking about my roof.
thepalmersinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 06:41 PM   #113

If you read the WSJ opedtoday, they detailed the latest efforts to outlaw many types of appliances by reducing the water a dishwasher can use by 30%; cut energy usage by 30%; and you have all heard about EPA deciding a gas stove is akin to child abuse. I say by 2 now while you can.

OK, this isn’t political,just what is in a mainstream newspaper 13 May.
Old 05-13-2023, 11:01 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
If you read the WSJ opedtoday, they detailed the latest efforts to outlaw many types of appliances by reducing the water a dishwasher can use by 30%; cut energy usage by 30%; and you have all heard about EPA deciding a gas stove is akin to child abuse. I say by 2 now while you can.

OK, this isn’t political,just what is in a mainstream newspaper 13 May.
DW just runs the dishwasher twice because this new one doesn't seem to clean as well.

I watched my washing machine , as best I can and it's a top load. In the old days a top load filled up at least 1/2 way or more, so the clothes were all in the water.
Now it doesn't seem to do that.
I can't tell very well , as I'll need to defeat the lid lock, so I can keep it open when washing so I can watch.
The instructions on the lid show a bulk load as the tub being full of water, I think it's lying, or my washer is broken.
Old 05-14-2023, 05:29 AM   #115

Anytime a major appliance reaches the 15+ year mark and starts making noise or is need of repair, I replace it.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:17 AM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

After having 2 freezers die while we were away, we are now planning to buy a new one, when this one is 7 years old. This based on how long the other two lasted. We may purchase a new fridge at 10 years also for similar reasons.

Other appliances are less dire for us to replace. Typically we’ll wait until they die.

Exception is if we decide to change color of kitchen appliance when we buy any new one. I really like the dark stainless better than the regular stainless.
sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote