Join Early Retirement Today

Does it matter what month you take social security?
Old 09-19-2021, 05:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Does it matter what month you take social security?

Specifically is there some benefit to starting in December versus January? I have a vague recollection someone once posted there was but can not find it anywhere. Something about cost of living adjustment I think

I know the amount increases the longer you wait until you are 70 this isn’t about whether to take it early just should I rush to apply for December

Thank you
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 06:57 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Good question. Would either start date get the benefit of the estimated 5% COL increase?
whatnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:04 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The increased benefits of Social Security are calculated monthly and you will a small percentage more in January than the prior December just for waiting an extra month to claim. If you claim in January, your first ck will arrive in February. COLA's are effective for the January payment following the increase(payment arrives in February).
Old 09-19-2021, 07:04 AM   #4

If you are filing at any point between full retirement age and age 70, and you file to start in any month other than January, Delayed Retirement Credits (DRC) will not be applied until the following January. All benefits will get the added COLA whether you have taken your benefit or not as long as you are 62.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:19 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
If you are filing at any point between full retirement age and age 70, and you file to start in any month other than January, Delayed Retirement Credits (DRC) will not be applied until the following January. All benefits will get the added COLA whether you have taken your benefit or not as long as you are 62.
this is what I was thinking of but It sounds like if someone applies for December it would affect December and then right itself in January and Starting January would be fine but starting in February would have a downside. Also I think this doesn’t apply to me because I haven’t reached full retirement age? Is there any corresponding concern for my situation?

Thank you Miss Molly
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah S View Post
this is what I was thinking of but It sounds like if someone applies for December it would affect December and then right itself in January and Starting January would be fine but starting in February would have a downside. Also I think this doesn’t apply to me because I haven’t reached full retirement age? Is there any corresponding concern for my situation?

Thank you Miss Molly
If you file prior to full retirement age then DRCs do not apply.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 09-19-2021, 08:11 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's the POMS on DRC credit:

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0300615690
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
What about AT age 70? That's my current plan.
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
What about AT age 70? That's my current plan.
At age 70 you get all your DRCs applied immediately. No waiting until January of the following year.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #10

Good Golly, MissMolly, you are the best!

Is one ever made whole if they claim between FRA and 70 (not in Jan)?
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
Good Golly, MissMolly, you are the best!

Is one ever made whole if they claim between FRA and 70 (not in Jan)?
I am not positive, but I pretty sure the answer is no.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

My FRA was this past May I was planning on waiting until next May to file, and was counting on the 8% extra that I've read you get by waiting each year past FRA.

Are you saying I have to wait another year to receive this?
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
My FRA was this past May I was planning on waiting until next May to file, and was counting on the 8% extra that I've read you get by waiting each year past FRA.

Are you saying I have to wait another year to receive this?
What I am saying is DRCs are only applied in January of each year (except when file in your birth month at age 70). If you are over FRA but not age 70 and you file in May 2022, your DRCs from May 2021 to Dec 2021 will be applied in January 2022, so you will receive those. Your DRCs from January 2022 to May 2022 will be applied in January 2023.

Maybe this will help https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-0313.htm
Old 09-19-2021, 10:19 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm confused. If you are waiting til after FRA to claim, should you claim in January?
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3656 View Post
I'm confused. If you are waiting til after FRA to claim, should you claim in January?
If you want to get all your up-to-date earned DRCs, then yes.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What I am saying is DRCs are only applied in January of each year (except when file in your birth month at age 70). If you are over FRA but not age 70 and you file in May 2022, your DRCs from May 2021 to Dec 2021 will be applied in January 2022, so you will receive those. Your DRCs from January 2022 to May 2022 will be applied in January 2023.

Maybe this will help https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-0313.htm

Got it..Thanks
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I think I understand (read the ssa info too).

Please tell me if I'm wrong:

Suppose I'm 69 in October this year and I claim SS when I'm 69 in October.

I would get delayed credits up to January of this year for delaying until 68.25 (age in Jan).
Payment would be for Oct -> Dec based on the DRC of 68.25
Then January next year payments would be based on DRC of 69.

I would actually miss out on the extra amount for the months of Oct -> Dec of this year, since they didn't consider I was really .75 yrs older.
They won't send me a "make up" check for the amount missed for the 3 months.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
If you want to get all your up-to-date earned DRCs, then yes.
Sorry to be so dense. My birthday is in June and I was planning to wait til I was 70. Do I claim in January of that year (i.e. 69 1/2), January of the next year (i.e. 70 1/2) or June (70).
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3656 View Post
Sorry to be so dense. My birthday is in June and I was planning to wait til I was 70. Do I claim in January of that year (i.e. 69 1/2), January of the next year (i.e. 70 1/2) or June (70).
The SS document says if you apply at age 70, they calculate all your DRC up to age 70 when you apply.

You would claim for age 70, you can start the process before age 70, but be sure to tell SS , the effective date is 70.
Some SS workers will "give" you a "bonus" by backdating your application 6 months, making your effective claim 69.5 , which is not a bonus as now you get reduced benefits for life.

IF I'm wrong, folks let me know as this is my plan so far too.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I think I understand (read the ssa info too).

Please tell me if I'm wrong:

Suppose I'm 69 in October this year and I claim SS when I'm 69 in October.

I would get delayed credits up to January of this year for delaying until 68.25 (age in Jan).
Payment would be for Oct -> Dec based on the DRC of 68.25
Then January next year payments would be based on DRC of 69.

I would actually miss out on the extra amount for the months of Oct -> Dec of this year, since they didn't consider I was really .75 yrs older.
They won't send me a "make up" check for the amount missed for the 3 months.

You got it.