Join Early Retirement Today

Does Schwab not do ETF dividend re-investment?
Old 03-24-2023, 03:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does Schwab not do ETF dividend re-investment?

I'm a relatively new Schwab customer. I have a Vanguard ETF (VEU) in my account which did its quarterly distribution yesterday (3/23/23). The proceeds from this distribution appeared in my account overnight. I see it in my cash balance and I see an entry in my transaction history.

However, I have that investment set to re-invest -- The "Reinvest?" column on my positions page says "Yes". I set it that way after moving the investment over from Vanguard in early February. This is the first distribution since I have moved the investment.

I chatted Schwab this morning and the agent confirmed my setting was correct on their side. They said there is sometimes a delay in re-investing. Is that really how it works? My only Schwab investments (Money Market and a mutual fund) reinvested on the same day as it was distributed. It seems that if there is this much of a delay that people would do other things with that money while it sits in the cash balance for the account. Like transfer it to a money market fund that pays better interest.

Thoughts?
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2023, 03:54 PM   #2

I had some stock transferred over to TD Ameritrade/Schwab from their transfer agents, and the stocks came through quickly, but dividends showed up in the old accounts a while later. I tried to schedule the transfers prior to the ex dividend date too. It took me a few months to get the old accounts emptied and closed out.

With TD/Schwab, I sometimes see the dividends sitting in the sweep account for a day or two before showing up as a purchase.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:46 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^ When they show up as a purchase after a day or two are the purchases backdated to the date of the dividend? or perhaps the following day?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 04:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
I had some stock transferred over to TD Ameritrade/Schwab from their transfer agents, and the stocks came through quickly, but dividends showed up in the old accounts a while later. I tried to schedule the transfers prior to the ex dividend date too. It took me a few months to get the old accounts emptied and closed out.

With TD/Schwab, I sometimes see the dividends sitting in the sweep account for a day or two before showing up as a purchase.
Interesting. I guess I’ll leave the cash there and see what happens. It’s not a huge amount.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
I'm a relatively new Schwab customer. I have a Vanguard ETF (VEU) in my account which did its quarterly distribution yesterday (3/23/23). The proceeds from this distribution appeared in my account overnight. I see it in my cash balance and I see an entry in my transaction history.

However, I have that investment set to re-invest -- The "Reinvest?" column on my positions page says "Yes". I set it that way after moving the investment over from Vanguard in early February. This is the first distribution since I have moved the investment.

I chatted Schwab this morning and the agent confirmed my setting was correct on their side. They said there is sometimes a delay in re-investing. Is that really how it works? My only Schwab investments (Money Market and a mutual fund) reinvested on the same day as it was distributed. It seems that if there is this much of a delay that people would do other things with that money while it sits in the cash balance for the account. Like transfer it to a money market fund that pays better interest.

Thoughts?
Yes, that’s how it works at Schwab with dividend reinvestment. The divs plop into your account and then show up as reinvested in a day or two.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:42 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I was already debating whether I really wanted to do auto reinvests in this account. After this round of dividends completes, I think I’ll just turn it off. That way I can redirect the funds elsewhere if I want. It’s more flexible and I won’t be wondering when they will do the reinvest.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:18 AM   #7

To close the loop on this thread... Schwab did the automatic re-investment of the VEU dividends overnight. So basically, dividend appeared in my account as cash on Friday morning and stayed that way all day. Then by Saturday morning it was gone and the additional shares of VEU were in my account.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
To close the loop on this thread... Schwab did the automatic re-investment of the VEU dividends overnight. So basically, dividend appeared in my account as cash on Friday morning and stayed that way all day. Then by Saturday morning it was gone and the additional shares of VEU were in my account.
I'm guessing this was because it's a Vanguard ETF. I've had Schwab's own SCHD reinvest shares immediately.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:39 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm guessing this was because it's a Vanguard ETF. I've had Schwab's own SCHD reinvest shares immediately.
Same here.

It usually shows as next day, and I guess the reinvestment price is based on a closing price?
Old 03-25-2023, 07:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Ahhhhh. Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing SCHD floating about in my sweep account.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:01 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If you look on the Balances screen, you would have seen the funds on “Hold” until they are reinvested.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote