Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Does Steve Jobs usually attend conference calls?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Does Steve Jobs usually attend conference calls?

There was a hubub about Steve Jobs not being on today's conference call.

Does he usually attend them?
godoftrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by godoftrading View Post
There was a hubub about Steve Jobs not being on today's conference call.

Does he usually attend them?
No.

Apple puts the job of running the conference calls on the CFO. Mr. Jobs hasn't been on a conference call since 1998, as far as my notes and recollection goes.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

But he actually does look very thin - a friend saw him around Palo Alto recently and commented about how sickly he looked. He is an Apple shareholder and was a little concerned for the long term.
wheel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, he's lost a ton of weight very suddenly, and has had problems with cancer as recently as four years ago.

All thats been said by Apple is that his health is "a private matter", and all he's said is that he "had a surgical procedure this year to address a problem that was contributing to a loss of weight." and that he 'had a common bug being treated by antibiotics'.

Do note there is no succession plan in place should he become more ill or have to take a leave of absence.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

DH (who holds a lot of AAPL) just told me he read that Jobs' weight loss problem is related to the surgery for his cancer 4 years ago. He recently had a surgical procedure to try to correct or at least improve the problem.

Yes - it's a one man genius company. Not sure how you create a succession to Steve Jobs...

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Not sure how you create a succession to Steve Jobs...

Audrey
With another Steve, of course. Steve Ballmer?

As far as holding ' a lot of AAPL', well, I'd follow the general diversification guidelines for any single stock. AAPL now has a huge market cap, not sure if it is a real growth story at this point.

I'm glad I didn't follow that advice in 1997, though.

I often wonder if CFB shorted them in 2001, after his disappointment with OSX 10.0 release?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Nah, I actually owned the stock for a while back in the late 90's into the early '00's. I think I bought it for $13-14 and sold it around $28-29. So no big complaints.

No worries about the lousy software release. I knew theres be plenty of people lining up to pay three times as much for a computer as it was worth.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

I knew theres be plenty of people lining up to pay three times as much for a computer as it was worth.
Funny thing is, that's how I felt using some of the Windows machines at work... But, to each their own. Choice is good, I wish there was even more of it in this area.

But I am a little confused as to how anyone who has always been as slim as granola-eatin'-vegan Steve Jobs could be described as 'losing a ton of weight'? It's not like you can hide much behind jeans and a turtleneck

Actually, Apple recently stated that there *is* a succession plan in place, but it has not been made public. For what that's worth - maybe nothing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
As far as holding ' a lot of AAPL', well, I'd follow the general diversification guidelines for any single stock. AAPL now has a huge market cap, not sure if it is a real growth story at this point.
I manage all the family investments except for my husband's SEP-IRA . That is his play money. It's half AAPL. It's the only stock he follows. Over periods of many years he buys when it's crushed, and sells when it goes ballistic. He's been through a few cycles over the years.

Oh - I suppose I should mention that his SEP-IRA is a small percentage of our net worth.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But I am a little confused as to how anyone who has always been as slim as granola-eatin'-vegan Steve Jobs could be described as 'losing a ton of weight'?
"muscle weighs more than fat."

sadly, it could be wasting.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote