Does the election effect where we put money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No home growing allowed except for the currently allowed medical usage. Producers have to be licensed, paying $1000 annually for the privilege.
$1000/yr is a small fee to pay. No home growing is good for commercial producers. No competition! :rolleyes:

25% excise taxes on wholesale and retail sales, earmarking some revenue for purposes that include substance-abuse prevention, research, education, and healthcare with the rest going to the state general fund.
Sounds just like the tobacco taxes that were supposed to pay for all the good "stuff". :facepalm:

Figure it will be a while before the pot stores open up next to Jamba Juice in the local strip malls. But the retail store franchises might be an interesting investment opportunity. Or a lot of small mom-and-pop businesses, depending on how they write the regulations.
I wonder if they allow consumption on the retail premises. If so, I can see restaurants and smoke-joints combined into one. Mucho mucho money for those with an entrepreneurial spirit. :dance:

Sarcasm aside, I really want the Fed not to intervene to see how these social experiments will work out. It's better that some other states try it first than mine. If it works out, fine, we will follow suit. If it doesn't, well, I've got nothing to lose as a watcher from a distance.

Last edited:
No comment on the herbal discussion. From an investment standpoint I will continue to rebalance via passive investment in equities with new 401k/IRA contributions. If the fall is big enough for rebalance bands to be hit I'll reallocate some investments.

The results of neither national nor local elections have little/no affect on my life or how I invest my stash as far as I can see. It appear as though over 2 billion dollars was spent and we will have the same president, same majority in the house and senate. :cool:

I'm glad that I voted early tho.

Last edited:
Doing something different with my money? Nope.

As far as doomsday.....I am sure I will be at work dealing with some god-awful "OMG the sky is falling" crisis that is much more important to my business partners than the end of the world. (As you can tell, I had a crappy day at work today.....)

shortstop14 said:
It's a little different in Washington. No home growing allowed except for the currently allowed medical usage. Producers have to be licensed, paying $1000 annually for the privilege. All regulated by the Washington State Liquor Control Board. Other growing is still illegal.

Possession decriminalization goes into effect next month, and the process for licensing and sales has to be worked out by December 2013. 25% excise taxes on wholesale and retail sales, earmarking some revenue for purposes that include substance-abuse prevention, research, education, and healthcare with the rest going to the state general fund.

But the feds of course will still have their say in the matter. Figure it will be a while before the pot stores open up next to Jamba Juice in the local strip malls. But the retail store franchises might be an interesting investment opportunity. Or a lot of small mom-and-pop businesses, depending on how they write the regulations.

Obviously my ill informed stereotyped opinion from the midwest on this was wrong. I would have bet Oregon passing it before the other 2 states.

Getting away from the "herbal discussion" and back to the thread topic, I am not doing anything in the immediate future.

No matter what the election results, I will continue to monitor the economic development here, compared to elsewhere in the world. Of my equity holding, about 1/3 of it is ex-US, and I would have no problems going higher. The problem is the economy generally stinks all around the world, perhaps except for some isolated pockets, and I do not want to concentrate too much in small countries.

Apparently Peyton Manning just bought a chain of Papa Johns pizza stores in Colorado.

Obviously my ill informed stereotyped opinion from the midwest on this was wrong. I would have bet Oregon passing it before the other 2 states.

Actually, Oregon voted DOWN it's pot decriminalization proposal. It doesn't really matter though we already have "medical" dispensaries everywhere and the climate here is so ideal for growing the little herbs that the mexican mafia has moved into the forests and have elaborate plantations going on. Be careful with that little hike in the forest around these parts

Does the presidential election effect where anyone is putting their money? Just curious.
Yes, I think the elections will likely affect where people's money will be going for a very long time.
Aside from the obvious and "unmentionable" issues, I think it is prudent for investors to periodically make judgements about the fundamental competitiveness of various national economies. I'm sure many Japanese investors were glad they invested outside their country when it became evident that there were structural issues which would prevent Japanese companies, in general, from doing well in comparison with competitors elsewhere in the world. If a US investor believes the election makes a statement about the future playing field for US companies, or if anticipated well-intentioned government actions makes it less likely that the US economy will allow capital to flow to the most efficient use, then that investor should probably tilt investments to economies where businesses have a better environment for growth.

Last edited:
The election results change exactly nothing about what I will do that I didn't already expect to: I will sell some stocks on which I have gains this year (to take advantage of the temporary 0% tax on capital gains, because my income will be very low this year), but I realized I could do that back in the spring. Otherwise, just keep on keeping on.

I have a new Mayan perpetual calendar that is supposed to last another 4000 years hanging on my fridge. When this one runs out I guess Iwill just panic like everyone else and go into survival mode.
The calendar in my check book ends on December 31. That will be the end of the world for sure.

I expect federal tax rates to go up somewhat. I'm giving my clients incentive to pay up in 2012, in advance.

Not investments perhaps, but a bit of income shifting to the current tax year.

SIS

I expect federal tax rates to go up somewhat. I'm giving my clients incentive to pay up in 2012, in advance.

I'm more confident post election that fed income taxes on ordinary income, divs and cap gains will be heading upward, likely sooner rather than later. Therefore I'm going to add to the amount of IRA money I already converted to Roth earlier this year to reach at least the top of the 25% bracket.

I'm also looking over my div stocks and bonds thinking that municipals may be looking more attractive soon.

The past nine years have been very friendly towards investment income, a situation I knew wouldn't last forever. Forever ends in a few months IMHO.

And so be it........

:cool: Everyone here is a crew of great folks. I've read here for years, not posting much at all. My experience and reading has me of the mindset that an election outcome of either consequence is already priced into the mkt beforehand. For the recent past the 02 crash, precipitated by events a yr earlier 9/11. The last crash to 666 on the SP500, 04 / 09, approximately a year after the meltdown began.

Yesterday's sell off means that some people are (over) reacting to the election, but I think it reflects the realization that now the fiscal cliff is looming. Expect volatility until it becomes clearer that this will be addressed, which of course it will be. Meanwhile the underlying fundamentals of the US economy are improving.

I am getting ready to do some rebalancing and will wait for the next bounce before selling some equities.

Yesterday's sell off means that some people are (over) reacting to the election, but I think it reflects the realization that now the fiscal cliff is looming. Expect volatility until it becomes clearer that this will be addressed, which of course it will be. Meanwhile the underlying fundamentals of the US economy are improving.

I am getting ready to do some rebalancing and will wait for the next bounce before selling some equities.
I hope you're right, though the cliff is self-imposed, and there have been several past "cliffs" that were hyped by the media only to be easily pushed off/delayed by Congress.

Remember how terribly urgent the debt ceiling crisis and then the super-committee were, only to pass almost as non-events? The media couldn't seem to talk about anything else leading up to those "cliffs," and then when the supposed deadlines came, the story mostly evaporated...

Midpack said:
I hope you're right, though the cliff is self-imposed, and there have been several past "cliffs" that were hyped by the media only to be easily pushed off/delayed by Congress.

Remember how terribly urgent the debt ceiling crisis and then the super-committee were, only to pass almost as non-events? The media couldn't seem to talk about anything else leading up to those "cliffs," and then when the supposed deadlines came, the story mostly evaporated...

If you can access this video from TD Bank's chief economist, you may find it reassuring....

https://www.tdwaterhouse.ca/video/index.jsp?language=english&playlist=1&portal=1&id=321

If you can access this video from TD Bank's chief economist, you may find it reassuring....

https://www.tdwaterhouse.ca/video/index.jsp?language=english&playlist=1&portal=1&id=321
Not really. As the TDW economist said, they could just kick the can down the road again. If history is any indication, that's what they may do, where I wish they would just deal with the debt/deficit long term and get it over with. Having the fiscal imbalance hanging over all of us, business and individuals isn't helpful. If we know exactly what sacrifices (Federal revenue & spending) we all have to make, we can plan accordingly and move on. Everyone who has actually looked at the numbers knows what has to be done in general, it's just ironing out the details which will require compromise and sacrifices from everyone.

I also meant that nothing really has to happen on Jan 1st, the cliff is self-imposed and changeable, though I expect the media to act as though something really has to be done by Jan 1 just as they did with the debt ceiling and then the super committee. In both those situations, all the supposed apprehension wasn't real. Regards...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom