Join Early Retirement Today

Domicile when you travel a lot ?
Old 12-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Domicile when you travel a lot ?

If you do not live a single state more than 180 days per year, what determines state of residency ? Where you spend the most nights ?

Say a person lives in MD and FL but stays in other states 100 nights/year for work. Therefore only 265 night between MD and FL. If 133 nights were in FL, would that qualify as a FL resident ?

Thanks !
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
If you do not live a single state more than 180 days per year, what determines state of residency ? Where you spend the most nights ?

Say a person lives in MD and FL but stays in other states 100 nights/year for work. Therefore only 265 night between MD and FL. If 133 nights were in FL, would that qualify as a FL resident ?

Thanks !
It varies state by state. I had a friend that had homes in two states, one of which was no state income tax Florida. He kept a calendar and stayed there half the year plus a day. His Florida address was used for income tax purposes.

Most people would consider you a Delaware resident for tax purposes. You would need to read the Delaware state tax return book to see what it says about part time residents.

When you work very part time in some states, they will want state income taxes for the days you are working in those states. Most traveling salesmen and other professions ignore reporting that they worked in other states, however. I was worked in 6-8 states yearly.

One profession often having numerous tax state problems are professional athletes making mega money.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I live in FL and MD. FL doesn't care if you step foot in the state. As long as you are licensed to drive there and pay whatever taxes are owed, you can be a resident. MD, on the other hand, requires you to pay MD taxes if you spend half the year plus one day there. We only stay in FL 5 to 6 months/year, but since we visit DD in VA for a month or more each year, MD doesn't have a hold on us.

Having said that, I can't imagine how or why they would track your presence well enough to insist on payment. If you make money there (or in any state), that state wants it's share. And I wouldn't declare FL residency and then stay in MD for 10 months or so. But as far as being a resident, it's pretty much your call.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
gone traveling

You need to look at South Dakoka.
I think the rules are very permissive.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #5

I know that some folks are South Dakota residents when they live in their RVs across the country. There is an industry that has sprung up to support this with mail forwarding and such.

From a quick search- here are some things to consider. Where do you have your vehicles registered? Where is your driver's license issued? Do you claim homestead exemptions on property tax anywhere? Where are you registered to vote? What address are your investment accounts registered? Where are your bank accounts registered?

If your employer acts as though you are based in MD, I would think it would be very difficult to claim that you are not a MD resident. And, even if you could establish residency in Florida, any earnings from MD would still likely be subject to MD taxes.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I understand there are campgrounds in Livingston Tx that will likley allow you to use the campground as your address. Again a no income tax state.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:11 AM   #7

As Bamaman said, states have widely varying rules for who they consider a legal resident. Some are very strict; others (like Florida) are very lenient. Among the things many states consider:
Where do you vote? Register your car? Renew your driver's license? Pay property tax? Record your will for probate?

The other side of the equation is equally important. Not only are you concerned with establishing state residency, but you also have to get your current state to agree that you have officially left. Some states (California is infamous for this) can hound you for years for their state taxes when you try to leave.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:32 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Texas has no time requirement for residency. You establish residency by having an abode, however temporary, getting a driver’s license and registering vehicles in the state. Other insurance should be through the state as a TX resident. This all establishes intent to live there and intent to return even if you are gone a long time.

Someone owning a home in the state will have no difficulty maintaining residency so it’s no problem for someone owning multiple residences across several states as long as you claim your TX residence as your primary residence (like on your property tax status). It’s not that hard for occasional renters, RV owners, etc. either. A real street address is required, but if there is a campground or something you return to occasionally, that’s good enough. Many full-time RVers do use the Livingston Escapees organization to help establish and maintain residency.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:52 AM   #9

In Canada the rules are much less proscriptive. It will be viewed as a “matter of fact” ie “where you normally reside”. Such things as actual time spent there, family, health care, drivers license, homes, employment, banking, voting, will be considered. Some of these factors can be manipulated in certain cases. We only have 10 provinces so the issues are fewer than the US and seldom pop up.

There are also rules between countries. The US has a test that will be applied against “resident aliens” (nothing to do with ET’s ) who, although not citizens or landed immigrants, spend a considerable period of time in the US. They require an annual form be filed that considers many of the factors I mentioned previously. Life can certainly be complicated.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:30 AM   #10

When I went on active duty (military) I was a resident of NYC. New York has a hefty state income tax and NYC a hefty city income tax, so I was subject to both since it was my "home of record."

Naturally, I wanted to find a way out of that dilemma since I was going to be a nomad for many years. My solution was to try gaining legal residence in Florida, where my grandparents had retired. I wrote a letter to the Florida Secretary of State saying that I intended to live there after retiring from the military, so what should I do? I suggested that I could use my grandparents' mailing address in Hollywood.

A few weeks later I got a letter back from the Supervisor of Elections in Broward County (home of the infamous hanging and dimpled chads) telling me that they were glad to have me as a Florida citizen, and all I had to do was vote there. They even said it was unnecessary to use a mailing address. All I had to do was send in an annual request for an absentee ballot, writing "Courthouse Precinct" as my address.

I did exactly that for the next 20 years. I also wrote a letter to New York state, enclosing a copy of the letter from Florida, informing them that I had changed my legal residence. I never heard back from New York, but they never asked for their income taxes either.

As it turned out, it was good that I took that action because I was twice assigned to posts in New York during my career and would have had to cough up the taxes otherwise.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #11

Using https://www.sbimailservice.com, allows you to set residency in Florida, you can vote, get a drivers license, etc all without actually having a home or apartment.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My question would be how do they know where you spent the most time? All things being equal, if you have 2 homes you are paying bills all year in both. How can they check that ONE day?
Old 12-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
My question would be how do they know where you spent the most time? All things being equal, if you have 2 homes you are paying bills all year in both. How can they check that ONE day?
They can't, it's not like crossing the border between countries.

So largely they simply say you are a resident and owe taxes, then let you prove you are not, and if you cannot, they can collect the taxes from you.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
They can't, it's not like crossing the border between countries.

So largely they simply say you are a resident and owe taxes, then let you prove you are not, and if you cannot, they can collect the taxes from you.
When I left California to travel, I set up Domicile in Florida and got a Mail forwarding service in FL. ($12pm) I never had to actually go to Florida during this process. Then traveled all over the place. I filed a FL tax return and CA never even asked or sent me any requests. I later settled in FLA and got a drivers license there (After 4 years I still had a CA license).

All Good.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Like has been said, Texas, South Dakota and Florida are popular with RVers.

The problem with Texas is having to go back yearly to renew license plates. You cannot get around thst.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
It's very easy for them if they want to

If your in NY and claim your in Florida on that day
Going out for dinner, stop to buy gas with your Visa card
How can you be in Florida when you bought gas on Long Island?
How did you connect to NY cell towers if you were not there?
zack59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:25 AM   #17

Just wondering what people who travel constantly and use a mail forwarder as an official address do with American Express or Vanguard whose computers throw out mail forwarders and insist on a real Street address. I use my mother’s but I find that not really satisfactory.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:45 AM   #18

Quote:
“They” will ask you where you spent your time and probably a lot of other things. You could lie or say you can’t remember, but such things as CC receipts will certainly paint a picture, I have recorded where I sleep every night since 2007, so I know. Not sure what I would do if “they” asked, probably call a tax lawyer.

I know people who try to pay cash for things when in the state they don’t want to pay income taxes to. Seems to be working for them so far. I guess they could look at cell phone records too? You have to assume that “they” will find the facts if they want to. Best bet is to fly under “their’ radar.

“They” know exactly when and from where you cross between Canada and US. There is a website you can check to confirm “their” data. It’s always been correct when I check.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I live in FL and MD. FL doesn't care if you step foot in the state. As long as you are licensed to drive there and pay whatever taxes are owed, you can be a resident.

Having said that, I can't imagine how or why they would track your presence well enough to insist on payment. If you make money there (or in any state), that state wants it's share. And I wouldn't declare FL residency and then stay in MD for 10 months or so. But as far as being a resident, it's pretty much your call.
I'm afraid you're a little off track in your assessment of Florida's position about residents. Just this past year Florida conducted an extensive audit of individuals claiming the homestead exemption on their Florida home and thousands of those exemptions were determined to be fraudulent and they were assessed back taxes, interest and penalties.

Furthermore, I can tell you there are many ways they can track your presence and I have sat in on audits and witnessed it. Think about the evidence contained in your credit cards bills, checking account and utilities including telephone records. When you are asked to produce those you can be sure Florida will have a pretty good idea about where you spend your time.
Gill
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd852 View Post
Just wondering what people who travel constantly and use a mail forwarder as an official address do with American Express or Vanguard whose computers throw out mail forwarders and insist on a real Street address. I use my mother’s but I find that not really satisfactory.
I use a mail forwarder (actually, they scan and post PDFs) where the address format is 123 Oak St 4567, town, city, state, zip. Is that a real street address?

Vanguard has been OK with it since 2008. Maybe that's because I've been with Vanguard since long before financial institution security laws changed post 9/11, and/or the size of my account.