Don’t Under Estimate Customer Appreciation

Islandtraveler

Recycles dryer sheets
I use two different brokerage firms as I am a believer in the “Don’t put all of your (nest) eggs in one basket” theory. I was surfing the net on different brokerage sites and came up upon an offer from Fidelity that caught my eye. They were offering up to $2500 dollars to open an account with them. It just so happened, that I needed to visit my brokerage (which is Scottrade) in order to fund my last SEP contribution. During the conversation with the office manager, I asked him if there was anything that he could do for a legacy account holder. He said that he could give me a $100.00 bonus in addition to 50 free trades and a 15% discount on future trades. I thought that was nice so I left happy. Being retired and having some time on my hands, I called Fidelity and asked them what they could do. By the time I got off the phone with them, they offered me $5000.00 to switch. In addition, they said that they would pay the transfer fees and match the commissions that Scottrade charged. I thanked him and contacted Scottrade to tell them what they had offered. I never had a problem with them and felt an obligation to let them match the offer. They did. 5 grand for a couple of phone calls. BTW, I do not consider myself a high frequency trader. I generate maybe $500.00 a year in trades. It really doesn’t make much sense to me. It will take them 10 years to break even. Am I missing something? Anyway, I thought I would share my experience with you so that maybe you could benefit.

Good job on negotiating a sweet deal.

The amount they offer depends on the balance of the account. No broker will offer $5K for a small account. But even if the account is greater than $1M, a $5K windfall bonus is nicer than I would expect.

Good deal, it must have been a large account.

I think they make money from lending out your stock to option traders.

Only if you have a margin account.

Otherwise it's just commissions and fund fees.

When we transferred from a full service broker to a discount broker the latter paid the transfer fees on trading accounts and our registered accounts. Worked out to about $1200. No other incentives...I was just happy to have my costs covered. Perhaps I left some money on the table?

These huge brokerages have all sorts of ways to make money off your investments, far beyond $7.95 commissions and expense ratios.

Like what? They aren't allowed to loan my shares. I don't have a margin account.

Some charge costs on processing dividends.

But I expect something more pedestrian is going on. You just get discounts and incentives based on what you might trade given your account size.

Hmm, I'm also curious how you can get such a sweet deal. The OP must have a serious balance at Scottrade, IMO.

We've got a joint brokerage account at Capital One and I'd love to transfer to a brokerage that can convert /set-up our holdings to a trust type account as Capital One doesn't offer such accounts. However, to transfer we'd be charged $50 per stock. Maybe if I was able to find such a deal like OP I'd move.

Anyway this post got my brain thinking :cool:

I also had my accounts split between Fidelity and another broker. The other had given me a couple issues over the last year, and when Fidelity made the $2500 offer I shifted my funds at the other over to Fidelity. I do find it more convenient having consolidated at one firm.

Hmm, I'm also curious how you can get such a sweet deal. The OP must have a serious balance at Scottrade, IMO.

We've got a joint brokerage account at Capital One and I'd love to transfer to a brokerage that can convert /set-up our holdings to a trust type account as Capital One doesn't offer such accounts. However, to transfer we'd be charged $50 per stock. Maybe if I was able to find such a deal like OP I'd move.

Anyway this post got my brain thinking :cool:

Are you sure its not $50 per account ?
That $50 per stock is outrageous, never heard of that before.

Are you sure its not $50 per account ?
That $50 per stock is outrageous, never heard of that before.

I believe that Scottrade charges $50.00 per account so the transfer fee to another brokerage would have been $150 for 3 accounts. 50 bucks per position does not sound right.

Back
Top Bottom