Don't waste your money rebalancing

Re: It's not how often, it's how much.

wabmester said:
Yeah, it would have been pretty hard to retire early with a large exposure to an asset that declined for about 12 years straight.

z

But you would have DCAd into the lows, and would be poised for the eventual rebound and windfall of profits, right?  Isn't that what the rebalancing thing is supposed to do for you?  What am I missing?

Patrick

Greetings Wabmester:
My portfolio would be *very* heavily weighted towards Japanese stocks if I followed an automatic rebalancing strategy for the past 20 years.
But if you automatically rebalance, you wouldn't be capable of being over-weighted, unless you started your portfolio that way, and intentionally tried to keep it that way, I would have thought. That's one of its benefit. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Bookm

Patrick said:
But you would have DCAd into the lows, and would be poised for the eventual rebound and windfall of profits, right?  Isn't that what the rebalancing thing is supposed to do for you?  What am I missing?

In the case of Japan, you might be missing the fact that the rebound still hasn't happened.    Your portfolio would have been flat over a 20-year period -- not exactly a market-beating strategy.

The bottom-line is that you don't know when an appreciating asset stops appreciating or when a depreciating asset stops depreciating, and you certainly don't know when the growth of one asset will surpass the growth of another.    Of course, I could be wrong, and there is some magic reason automatic rebalancing should work over the long term.   I just can't imagine what it is.

Bookm said:
But if you automatically rebalance, you wouldn't be capable of being over-weighted, unless you started your portfolio that way, and intentionally tried to keep it that way, I would have thought. That's one of its benefit. Or am I misunderstanding you?

The idea of rebalancing is that you pick your favorite asset allocation and rebalance when it gets out of whack, right? So, you sell your winners and buy more of your losers, right? If you pick a long-term loser that keeps depreciating over the long-term, the effect of rebalancing should be obvious: you will reduce your portfolio returns.

I'm not saying that such a scenario is likely, just that you are no more likely to improve returns than you are to reduce returns using such a strategy.

I guess I find it amusing that the same people who denegrate market timing also tout the benefits of rebalancing. There is no difference -- rebalancing is just one very simple-minded attempt at buying low and selling high.

Re-balancing is 'market timing' with a disciplined approach. Time and a Formula. A little different than waking up on a Tuesday Morning, mid-year and saying "I'm nervous - I'm pulling out of stocks"

But -- Have it your way. Re-balancing is Market timing. - Absolutely no difference. I know you like to win these arguments. So you win!

Cut-Throat said:
Re-balancing is 'market timing' with a disciplined approach. Time and a Formula. A little different than waking up on  a Tuesday Morning, mid-year and saying "I'm nervous - I'm pulling out of stocks"

I'd like to think that there are smarter market-timing strategies than either automatic rebalancing or panic attacks.

But -- Have it your way. Re-balancing is Market timing. - Absolutely no difference. I know you like to win these arguments. So you win!

I learn more by losing arguments than I do by winning them.   I'm mostly just curious about what sort of meat is on the bones of some of these "disciplined" strategies derived from limited historical data.    Discipline is a Good Thing when applied to proven strategies.   Discipline can be dangerous when applied to questionable strategies.

Patrick said:
But you would have DCAd into the lows, and would be poised for the eventual rebound and windfall of profits, right?  Isn't that what the rebalancing thing is supposed to do for you?  What am I missing?Patrick

You are missing that this "eventual rebound " was not part of the Sermon on the Mount. Also, that 25 years is along time. Certainly the period where one transitions from relative youth to late middle age.

Not to mention that -horrors-what if Japan is in a secular, civilizational decline? China seems ascendant in that part of the world. Maybe China has not forgiven and forgotton their humiliation at the hands of the Japanese during the '30s and '40s?

I have wondered what Japan's eventual place might be in Asia. The Chinese won't allow them to be overlords in Chinese factories for long. Just long enough to steal the skillsets.

I can't see them playing the role of Switzerland, as high class bankers, insurers, etc. Switzerland never went around their neighborhood raping everyone and burning down cities.

Maybe Japan is just screwed?

At least maybe one who had "rebalanced" into Japan for 25 years might wake up one night and be very worried about that possibility.

IMO, Wab has it right. "rebalancing" is just a simple minded form of market timing, based on a vague feeling that what goes up must come down, and vice-versa. The first part is probably correct, given a super human time span. But the second-- don't bank on it!

Ha

Cut-Throat said:

By any sort of functional definition, anytime you sell one aggregate and buy another, you are market timing. The rest is just detail-what method are you using?

IMO, some things are worth discussing, even if there are varying viewpoints. Investment technique is one such thing.  We have to be using a model that is reasonably well matched to the environment if we expect to prosper.

It may be worse to be very confident in a mis-matched model than to be quite unsure of oneself.

ha

Hmmmm

Vanguard Lifestrategy mod - when I get 'old' in maybe in 5-10 yrs - after intense study and thinking - switch to Lifestrategy cons. Meanwhile auto deduct the divs/interest to my Norwegian widow account. I believe the - heh, heh - rebalacing computers at Vanguard are still running - possibly as I post this.

Or course - if the strain of study, think, study produces no great insight - may just throw in the towel - switch to Target Retirement Series and avoid the decision altogether.

:confused:? Does computer rebalancing count:confused:?

I'm not trying to argue this issue, this is my first chance to respond. I'm just stating my beliefs based on what I've learned, and why I do what I do, of which no one can say otherwise.

The main purpose I rebalance using thresholds is risk management. I am avoiding excess risk by rebalancing, thus protecting against the possibility of incurring huge losses. An attempt to slightly juice returns is also partly an issue, but certainly not the predominant issue for me. Most here are aware of the various studies which have indicated investors are able to reduce risk by diversifying across multiple asset classes. There is the potential in many cases, where an unbalanced portfolio can leave one's holdings extremely undiversified, unnecessarily increasing the risk in one's port.

I can think of a Bernstein article a few years back that I believe tackled the issue somewhat. While there was found to be only fractional differences in returns among rebalancing periods, the greater risk was incurred by the portfolios which waited the longest to rebalance. So returns were not a real major issue, but controling risk is, IMHO.

Also a few years back, Truman Clark from Dimensional Fund Advisors  wrote a piece, Efficient Portfolio Rebalancing, came to a similar conclusion, that standard deviation increases in non-rebalanced portfolios. I also read an article a few months back in the FPA Journal stating similar points.

So while those like myself may seem "simple-minded" for using a questionable strategy, there is actually a thought process, and a valid reason for my rebalancing.

Bookm

I am with Bookm - reducing risk is the main reason why I re-balance - it if ALSO adds to the returns that is of course great, but that might be neglible or a toss up. Cheers!

I'm all for reducing risk, but blind automatic rebalancing certainly isn't guaranteed to do that. For example, if in a given year bonds outperform stocks, the "disciplined" rebalancers will add more stocks to their portfolio, and therefore add more volatility. I'm not saying that the strategy is nuts, only that it doesn't guarantee anything good will happen either in terms of risk or returns. All it promises is that you'll maintain your particular asset mix. Personally, I change my asset mix for a variety of reasons. I value flexibility over adherence to some fairly arbitrary strategy.

Big stretch here - I change my rebalancing rules for two reaasons: tick of time - as I get older - lower the stock percent of portfolio ala the classic pie chart, and two - add asset classes at the edges as required to boost div/interest of overall portfolio to 'acceptable' level - 3-4% currently with the level subject to review.

More two cents: If you are in the accumulation phase and insist on rebalancing - I would think - expected long term growth of your selected asset classes would be first, correlation as a means of smoothing ride and perhaps rebalancing if you feel volitility has exceeded your emotional comfort level - ie a tad fixed income.

If you are in ER - try to damp the swings/volitility to be able to remove money easier - while still getting livible expected growth. Div/interest as a backstopper helps here.

International, fixed income classes, REITs, PM, natural resources, and my least mentioned favorite - regulated utilities are there to mix and match. Hot rodders - have timberland, rental property, MLP's, certain closed end funds and other exotica.

Of course - a single fund - like Vanguard Target Retirement Series if you don't like 24/7 market thinking and have other things to do.

Or Wellington/Wellesley combo if you need part time work to keep busy - the mix based on you point in the accum./distr. cycle.

Wellington/Wellesley combo? Please explain. It looks to me like 50/50 portfolio overall and really not a bad idea.

eleighj

The old data I have in a file somewhere - courtesy Dick Young's Intelligence Report - I believe was Dodge and Cox Balanced/Wellesley 50/50. Don't know if Dodge and Cox is still closed.

But the general idea is to used an experienced 'value managed fund' to capture the value premium and set the % mixture to suit your truck - i.e 40/60 to :confused: Wellington generally runs 70/30 - so at 100% Wellington - 70% would be as high as you can go.

Oriented toward consevative/retired investors early in retirement.

Some 'old school' investors split their dough half in wellington, half in wellesley. You do end up with something in the 50/50 range as a result, with similar stock and bond picking (top 10 equity holdings in each DO differ somewhat).

Other 'old school' programs had you in wellington during your accumulation phase and shifting into wellesley during your withdrawal phase.

Before I married a working woman, I was ~2/3 in wellesley and 1/3 in wellington for my two main core holdings. Liked the income. No huge down days. No huge up days either though. But in general the port crept up while burping up plenty of cash.

unclemick2 said:
The old data I have in a file somewhere - courtesy Dick Young's Intelligence Report - I believe was Dodge and Cox Balanced/Wellesley 50/50. Don't know if Dodge and Cox is still closed.
I'm in the process of rolling over my 401(k) to an IRA and I'm going with a mix of D&C Balanced/Wellesley plus ~15% D&C International. D&C Balanced is closed to new investors but since I held it in my 401(k) I am not considered new.

Unclemick, head for the hills (literally). ;)

REW

I used to have dodge and cox balanced, I think from about 2001 to the end of 2002. Performed well in that period. Smelled a lot like wellington to me, only slightly higher ER.

Just not said:
I used to have dodge and cox balanced, I think from about 2001 to the end of 2002. Performed well in that period. Smelled a lot like wellington to me, only slightly higher ER.
The funds are similar, but D&C mix is 60/25/15 while Wellesley is 40/60. No surprise that D&C has outperformed Wellesley by a small margin over the past 20 years (avg. return 14.3% vs. 11.7%). Also D&C has had only one year of losses in the past 20 ('02 - 2.9%) while Wellesley has had three losing years ('87, '94, '99).

I know, I know. "Past perfomance is no...." But I'm paying my money and takin' my chances. :)

REW

Mmmm hmmm...you were too busy watching your spelling to check content ;)

Blame trumpet al for that one :LOL:

Wellesleys had three losers, but the following years were boomers.

Wellesley is also most often closer to a 35/65 fund than a 40/60.

Efficient Frontier

William J. Bernstein

Case Studies in Rebalancing

I'm often asked about the optimal portfolio rebalancing frequency. In previous pieces I showed that the benefit from rebalancing is contingent upon 3 factors:
o The volatility of the portfolio assets. The more volatile, the better.
o The correlations of the portfolio assets. Lower correlations mean higher rebalancing returns.
o The differences in returns among the assets. The lower, the better. If asset returns are very different, then you in fact may be better off not rebalancing.
I've intentionally left out the tax and transactional costs of rebalancing. It's assumed that the portfolio is sheltered. (With taxable accounts, beyond the use of net investment/withdrawal and the reallocation of mandatory distributions, active rebalancing is generally not a good idea. In order to get a closer look at the problem I've taken a fairly conventional portfolio:
• 40% S&P 500
• 15% US Small Stocks
• 15% Foreign Stocks
• 30% 5-Year Government Bonds
All four of these assets are available in the DFA returns program, and it is a relatively easy matter to crank out the returns for portfolios rebalanced monthly, quarterly, annually, biannually, and every 4 years. In order to smooth things out I used 24 28-year periods, staggered by one month:

From To Monthly Quarterly Annual 2 Years 4 Years
Jan-69 Dec-96 11.01% 11.10% 11.11% 11.52% 11.37%
Feb-69 Jan-97 11.09% 11.10% 11.10% 11.40% 11.46%
Mar-69 Feb-97 11.27% 11.34% 11.27% 11.54% 11.69%
Apr-69 Mar-97 11.06% 11.15% 11.03% 11.23% 11.40%
May-69 Apr-97 11.10% 11.12% 11.14% 11.28% 11.48%
Jun-69 May-97 11.31% 11.37% 11.41% 11.49% 11.68%
Jul-69 Jun-97 11.66% 11.76% 11.76% 11.81% 12.01%
Aug-69 Jul-97 12.04% 12.05% 12.15% 12.14% 12.35%
Sep-69 Aug-97 11.81% 11.87% 11.91% 11.90% 12.04%
Oct-69 Sep-97 12.09% 12.19% 12.24% 12.15% 12.23%
Nov-69 Oct-97 11.81% 11.87% 11.82% 11.81% 11.94%
Dec-69 Nov-97 11.94% 12.01% 12.06% 11.98% 12.12%
Jan-70 Dec-97 12.07% 12.17% 12.16% 12.09% 12.26%
Feb-70 Jan-98 12.27% 12.28% 12.26% 12.23% 12.38%
Mar-70 Feb-98 12.31% 12.38% 12.31% 12.29% 12.39%
Apr-70 Mar-98 12.44% 12.54% 12.42% 12.38% 12.47%
May-70 Apr-98 12.82% 12.83% 12.84% 12.77% 12.85%
Jun-70 May-98 12.93% 12.99% 12.97% 12.95% 13.02%
Jul-70 Jun-98 13.10% 13.19% 13.14% 13.13% 13.21%
Aug-70 Jul-98 12.86% 12.88% 12.95% 12.96% 13.00%
Sep-70 Aug-98 12.30% 12.37% 12.38% 12.43% 12.48%
Oct-70 Sep-98 12.28% 12.36% 12.44% 12.58% 12.65%
Nov-70 Oct-98 12.54% 12.55% 12.62% 12.88% 12.92%
Dec-70 Nov-98 12.61% 12.68% 12.70% 13.04% 13.00%

Average 12.030% 12.090% 12.091% 12.166% 12.267%

This is a fairly tedious table, but cursory examination shows that for almost all periods studied there is a monotonous improvement as one increases rebalancing period, except that there seems to be little difference between annual and quarterly rebalancing. (And for those of you who are hard core stat nuts, except for annual/quarterly pairwise t tests between all of the periods are highly significant.) The reason for this is fairly obvious. Asset class returns are not a perfect random walk. If they were, then there would be no profit to rebalancing. After all, rebalancing amounts to a bet that last year's above/below average return will reverse next year. If this is not the case, then there is no sense in rebalancing. There is overwhelming evidence that there is short-term persistence in asset class returns, so it is a good idea not to be too hasty pulling the trigger. To illustrate this point I've plotted the ratios between the 4 year end-wealth of the 3 equity assets studied.

Notice how a 4 year end-wealth ratio of 2.0 (or 0.5, which has the same meaning) is not at all unusual. In other words, start out with a buck of each asset and four years later it is entirely possible that one will be worth twice the other. If you rebalance the pair frequently along the way, you're liable to get the short end of the stick.
So, at first blush the answer to the rebalancing frequency problem would seem to be "not very often." But appearances are deceiving. Take a look at the bottom row of the above table. The average difference between quarterly and 4-yearly rebalancing is only 18 basis points. This comes at a cost—namely, that over a 4-year period your allocation will get seriously out of wack, incurring higher risk. For example, the above 40/15/15/30 S&P/SM/EAFE/bond portfolio, started at policy in January 1995 would have wound up at 56/13/10/21 if not rebalanced over the next 4 years.
The alternative to calendar rebalancing is threshold rebalancing. In other words, instead of regularly rebalancing, instead waiting until an asset's portfolio contribution gets x percent out of wack before adjusting it back to policy. Unfortunately, I know of no good way of evaluating this method, since tiny changes in the threshold are critical. In other words, whether your threshold for large or small stocks was barely reached, or barely missed, on October 19, 1987 makes a whopping difference. And in any case, it ain't gonna happen the same way next time.
So, what can we conclude from all this?
o Monthly rebalancing is too frequent.
o There are small rewards to increasing one's rebalancing frequency from quarterly up to several years, but this comes at the price of increased portfolio risk.
You makes your choice and you takes your chances, but don't sweat this one too much. The returns differences among various rebalancing strategies are quite small in the long run.

Copyright © 2000, William J. Bernstein. All rights reserved.

Back
Top Bottom