Doom and Gloom

He may be a Latino Jewish Republican woman, for all we know...

Let's get Helen Reddy to write a song...  :p

Or maybe The Diamonds... "Let's go trolling"

getoutearly said:
LOL, hopefully that's not your politics showing....

You only get two shots at being president, reardless of your political party. Bush has had all the opportunities he is going to get to wreck the country unless the constitution is changed, and I would not bet the farm on that.

davew894 said:
the environment that the boomers have left the next generation with is an important topic that impacts each one of us everyday, boomer or otherwise.

So exactly what have you and the rest of the "post boomers" done to resolve the mess the "boomers" have created? You've collectively had what...up to 40 years?

Come on, theres a bunch of you, especially if you include all those minorities and other sub groups.

Oh thats right, you havent done a damned thing but whine about it. That'll solve the problem for sure. If that doesnt do it, complain on an internet message board until someone else does something...

davew894 said:
While I often write inflammatory posts to purposely stir the pot and get some debate going... 
That's what trolling is. It's not cheerleading or pumping up the home crowd-- it's offensive & intimidating behavior. It doesn't lead to productive on-topic discussion, it's not necessary, and I think it needs to stop.

davew894 said:
I don't profit from my posts. I hope to stir other people minds and stir my mind with the responses. I try to cite references for things I say and I come check old posts to support arguments I have previously made. I even cave when I feel I have been proven wrong. I offer advice to help others when I feel I can and I ask advice from others when warranted (like when you posted the list of what you liked didn't like about your job that I used as a base to start my own ongoing list).

I really feel like you are genuinely offended by my posts (which on a certain level, I am somewhat proud of :D ).
No one here profits from their posts, and unless you've been doing your share then Dory's server fund only has my $25 contribution in it.

While I appreciate some of your posts, your repetitive banging on that Boomer piano key is way past its expiration date. I think it resembles a temper tantrum more than an attempt at a problem-solving dialogue. I'm not any happier with the world than you are, but I'm not blaming it on the older generations either-- or any generations for that matter.

If you're only here to offend people, then you need to go somewhere else.

davew894 said:
I'll just look elsewhere for intellectual stimulation as it relates to money, capitalism and society at large.
That's up to you. With your recent behavior, it seems like a good decision.

davew894 said:
No need to delete my account along with anthonys. I'll just leave if it will be better for you and everyone here.
I don't know if we moderators have the ability to delete accounts. You can delete your own account if you wish but that's between you & Dory. You'll notice that even hosuc's account is still present, so I wouldn't worry about losing yours.

Dave, when I'm 50, I sure hope I'm not as old as you.

Good talking to ya, you have a nice life now.

davew894 said:
Have no fear... the X and Yer generations will make meaningful positive changes to negate at least some of the looting and pillaging that has been going on for the last 50 or so years in this country.
Ok, so you're going to stop whining and overconsuming like the rest of the people in their 20's and 30's and start doing something. Any day now. Got it. ;)

I suggest we start with boomers' social security... I can tell you you will be impacted by cuts in this area
Not at all, I dont count social security at all in my retirement planning. Its lobster money as far as i'm concerned, if it shows up. I also dont expect the "me" generation to follow through with contributing to the system.

maybe that's why you're so pissed at some dude posting who is 30 years your junior

So that would make you 14 then? Sounds about right. :D

I don't know and frankly, don't really care anymore.

I'm a little lost...are you Scarlett or Rhett here?

Nords and ReWahoo: Copycats!

I beat both of you guys on this "Uplifting young man". :D

Jarhead* said:
Nords and ReWahoo: Copycats!

Yes, you did. Probably because as you age you have less tolerance for bullsh*t. Either that or you're trying to out-curmudgeon Unclemick. ;)

Hey, Nords and I could be the same guy. Nobody's ever seen the two of us in the same place at the same time.

It is unfortunate that it has come to this; however, I am always amazed when someone makes themselves a target and then is shocked when someone takes aim at them. There is a fine line on the internet between free speech and shouting fire in a crowded theater.

setab

:confused:?Start your own board as certain unnamed posters have done in the past.

Then you can be a sweetie and do it the RIGHT WAY - whatever that is.

Just since the end of 2003 - I can think of three - one of which doesn't accept posters.

heh heh heh - is that curmudgeonesque or what?

Jarhead* said:
Nords and ReWahoo:  Copycats!

Absolutely. Thank you.

I thought to myself, "Geez, if this guy can piss off even Jarhead, then he really needs to dial it back. No wonder I'm so tired of reading that crap."

You can pick up your moderator's ballcap from Dory or BMJ!

I came in on this quite late and so I read every post
just to see what folks so riled up (I usually
never bother to read all that much here. Would rather just
read my own stuff) :) Anyway, the answer was
"not much". Some people are so touchy! :)

JG

Jeez and I figured you just liked to WRITE your own stuff after not reading anything, including what you wrote before.

That would explain the content, and repetition.

Dave, werent you leaving?

I find the variability of material and viewpoints here quite broad. Certainly idiots, whiners and people who think their wan opinion constitutes fact arent well received.

Its also one of the lightest moderated boards I think i've ever seen, let alone participated in.

Tipping the cap to the moderators who show great restraint...

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
Jeez and I figured you just liked to WRITE your own stuff after not reading anything, including what you wrote before.

That would explain the content, and repetition.

Dave, werent you leaving?

I find the variability of material and viewpoints here quite broad.  Certainly idiots, whiners and people who think their wan opinion constitutes fact arent well received.

Its also one of the lightest moderated boards I think i've ever seen, let alone participated in.

Not directed at anyone in particular, but it's very poor form to say you are leaving and then hang around. This applies
to all venues, not just here.

JG

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:

I agree. Kudos and John Galt Ranger badges
to one and all. :)

JG

MRGALT2U said:
I came in on this quite late and so I read every post just to see what folks so riled up (I usually never bother to read all that much here.  Would rather just read my own stuff)  :)  Anyway, the answer was "not much".  Some people are so touchy!  :) JG
Shooting from the lip again.

You're apparently not aware that ol' Dave deleted 300-some of his posts, including not a few of the Boomer flames, before he huffed off.

My eye was caught by the "Doom and Gloom" header, so I thought I'd post to that, and pass by all the intermediate bickering (OK, flame me).
   I think throughout time, every generation thinks they'll be the ones to face the end of the world as they know it. I'm not proposing that. OK, I am.  I'm just more than a little concerned and distracted by the convergance of several world changing scenarios. The primary one, and the one that has me most concerned (aside from a $750B deficit, negative personal savings rate, bursting real estate bubble, nervous market, our warmest January on record, antibiotic resistant germs and bird flu) is the strong possabilty that we've reached the halfway point in oil production (Hubberts peak, google it). You laugh and say so what, they started back around 1860 or so, that oughta give us another 150 years or so....not so simple. The first 50 years or so after initial discovery was trying to figure out what to do with the stuff. The demands  and dependance is now many times early usage. Now our society is insatiable in burning through it (that salad you had at dinner was fossil fuel planted, fertilized, grown, harvested , delivered and refrigerated). The factors working against us...our dependance on foreign oil (I think around 30%), our appetite (about 25% of the worlds production), China (several billion users) coming online, the fact that our whole society is energy driven (the natural gas scenario isn't any better, looked at your heating bill lately? for those in warmer climes, your problem won't only be energy, but fresh water, and the energy to get it to you).
   Bottom line, we're in the last half of oil extraction. The second half is deeper and much more difficult and expensive to pull out and refine. Its gonna get much worse. We have no plan B (most plans, ethanol included, cost more energy or are too oil dependant to work). Any thoughts?

anonimitycity said:
Bottom line, we're in the last half of oil extraction. The second half is deeper and much more difficult and expensive to pull out and refine. Its gonna get much worse. We have no plan B (most plans, ethanol included, cost more energy or are too oil dependant to work). Any thoughts?

Buy some oil and gas stocks or energy-related mutual funds.

anonimitycity said:
Any thoughts?

Just one: "Everything that can be invented has been invented."

--Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

anon, this has got to be the most amazing time in history to be alive! Think of the opportunities available today to "solve" the energy problem. As you pointed out, it was 50 years before we figured out what to do with oil, developed the internal combustion engine, invented the automobile, etc. We've been depending on oil to provide our ever growing demand for energy for only 100 years or so. That's a blink of the eye in terms of history.

Have some faith in our ability to find alternatives and develop other energy resources. It should create some amazing investment opportunities if you figure out which horse to put your money on.

...Or you could just go ahead and buy yourself a few horses if you think we'll revert to using them for transportation. ;)

REWahoo! said:
Just one:

anon, this has got to be the most amazing time in history to be alive! 

ReWahoo: Here! Here!

Replacing my old Persimmon head drivers and steel shafts with Titanium Heads and Grafite Shafts, have allowed me to hit the ball further off the tee now, then I did 40 years ago.!

Now, if someone would come up with a "full-body transplant", I wouldn't have a care in the world. ;)

One solution exists already. It's cogeneration. The mixing of coal with wood waste to create a non-polluting energy source. This utilizes coal and wood waste, two resources this country has in abundance.

The only reason you haven't heard of this technology is the stranglehold the Cheney cabal has in suppressing any alternative energy that would challenge the dominance of the oil industry.

You heard it here first.

So coal has N, S and a bunch of nasty metallic elements. You have to separate them somewhere in your process if you are going to make it "non-pollutting." How is this done in the process that you are referring to and what do you do with them?

MB

Burning coal with wood still causes air pollution  :-\ and what does Dick Cheney have to do with it :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom