Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Double fooey on downsizing. fooey! fooey and fooey again!!
Old 03-24-2006, 06:40 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcrowcall
The house has doubled in value since I sold it for $365,000 some years ago.
Can I introduce you to my father-in-law?* He still occasionally kicks himself, 23 years later, for selling too soon.

He bought a Levitt home in 1964 for $17,500 and sold in 1983 for $122,500.* Bowie, MD is probably going for close to $300K today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I have many friends and relatives living through the 1986-90 Houston crash.
I remember a friend buying a Houston condo then for $20K. We thought he was an idiot. Today he knows that we're idiots...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're in the process of buying our dream home right now. Almost embarassed to say how big it is but it's located in a gated community with an ocean view. Despite the home being a great deal I don't think we'll ever move as I have always wanted to live by the ocean.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:12 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
We're in the process of buying our dream home right now.
Heh. We're in the process of selling our dream home right now (it goes on the market next Monday). When we bought it, I didn't think we'd ever sell. After living there for five years, we found another place that was just more practical for us. So, we're selling the Holy Grail of houses to somebody else.

Of course, I'm doing a little market timing too. I'd probably keep the place if I didn't think the market had peaked and if I wouldn't lose that killer capital gains exclusion by not living there.

I'll probably kick myself in a few years, but I think I prefer dreaming about dream houses to actually owning them.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:32 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

"The house has doubled in value since I sold it for $365,000 some years ago.
Can I introduce you to my father-in-law? He still occasionally kicks himself, 23 years later, for selling too soon.

He bought a Levitt home in 1964 for $17,500 and sold in 1983 for $122,500. Bowie, MD is probably going for close to $300K today."

.. 101 shares of American Funds = Washington Mutual Investers at $11 per share bought in 1967 = $1111 invested

That holding is now just under 9000 shares at around $32 - $33 per share - no maintenance .. tell Dad not to kick himself too hard. now around $330,000
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #25

House value is just house value. Have to live somewhere and I can look back on any one of about 10 homes I have owned throughout my life and say they could be worth a lot of money now. But that is not relevant.

What is important is what you have now AND it is an extra bonus to have the ability to downsize if you so choose. My last house was the McMansion type, but when I took an assignment we downsized from well over 4000 sq ft to about 2600 sq ft. With my pending retirement, we will re-locate again to about 2000 sq ft for our retirement bungalow. We do not care, or have interest in, all the trappings and costs of a fancy house.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Can I introduce you to my father-in-law? He still occasionally kicks himself, 23 years later, for selling too soon.

He bought a Levitt home in 1964 for $17,500 and sold in 1983 for $122,500. Bowie, MD is probably going for close to $300K today.
I remember a friend buying a Houston condo then for $20K. We thought he was an idiot. Today he knows that we're idiots...
Ol' Rancher,

We sold our Bowie home in 2004. Bought it in 1979 for $78.5K. Sold it for $325K. It was your typical Levitt 4 bedroom colonial. We hadn't put much $ into it except for new roof, windows and HVAC.

Grumpy
Old 03-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I prefer dreaming about dream houses to actually owning them.
I learned that lesson about dreams vs reality from Dudley Moore in 1979. I would like to have retested the scenario myself once or twice though.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I'll probably kick myself in a few years, but I think I prefer dreaming about dream houses to actually owning them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
I learned that lesson about dreams vs reality from Dudley Moore in 1979.* I would like to have retested the scenario myself once or twice though.
Is this thread still about real estate, or did we just change the topic to sex?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Is this thread still about real estate, or did we just change the topic to sex?
Everything's about sex -- especially on this board.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:46 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you own a lot of real estate, you have more sex! I think. Please dont ask me for a link.

Maybe we can run a poll?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #31

Quote:
If you own a lot of real estate, you have more sex! I think. Please dont ask me for a link.

Maybe we can run a poll?
Don't bother with a poll, it's not true.