Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
Is this a 'wheee!!' thread?
NO, absolutely not! No, no, no, no no.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
NO, absolutely not! No, no, no, no no.
Only matters if She says it. (Thanks for keeping your "W****!" holstered, W2R! )

PS - Put in a small rebalance for tomorrow just in case.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Watch for another leg up when all the bitcoin billionaires cash out and look for alternative investments.
Svensk Anga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

No, not a WHEEE!!! thread! Just a happy thread. As you all must have figured out by now, my WHEEE!!! seems to be broken or something. I already did it a few times this year, and nothing happened.

I was offline for a few minutes just now, figuring out my spending projections for 2017. Looks like as of today I am coming in $1054 under what I spent last year. Now that would be a non-contagious, harmless little wheee, I would think!

Market up? Spending down? I like this.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Looking back at recent historical market data, I saw things that's hard to explain even though I lived through it.

In 1998, the year building up to the dot-com bubble that burst in early 2000, I saw that the S&P was at 1282, and at a P/E of around 33.

In early 2000, when the NASDAQ hit its all-time high and was about to collapse, the S&P reached 1442, but its earnings rose such that the P/E declined to 27.

Even as the dot-coms and tech stocks imploded, earnings of the S&P continued to climb until the end of 2000, when they started to decline as the country entered into a recession in 2001. Then, 9/11 event occurred, and it was mayhem.

By mid 2004, the S&P earnings already recovered to the level it reached in mid 2000, even with inflation adjustment. What was the price? It was around 1100, compared to 1400 in 2000. And that was before inflation.

Why? Investors were not as gunho with stocks in 2004 as they were in 1998 or in 2000. The P/E of the S&P was down to 16 in 2004, compared to the mid 20 in 2000. Same earnings, but much lower stock prices. They loved stock, then they did not love it anymore.

Yes, that's P/E reversion, my fellow investors. It happened so many times before, and it will happen again. That's what Bogle has been warning us. And that's why long-term return of stocks is going to be in the single-digit when we talk time periods of a decade or more.

Sell, sell, sell? Not now, but soon.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Let me know when, as I just figured out we are about 95% in stocks, so it's been great the past couple of years, but the Piper is coming.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

LOL! has a market-timing thread. You should watch his announcement there.

Oh wait! There's the proven "Wh***" proclamation. I will have to frequent this forum more to make sure I do not miss it. Lots of money involved, as I have quite a bit more than I did in the last two market collapses.

Darn, talking about the late 90s, it occurred to me that it has been almost 20 years. 20 years! Time went by fast, then you are old. This bull market may be the last one for many of us to try to time. Once it crashes, many of us will not be around to see the next bull market.

Oh, that's sad. Not about the money, but about not being around to count your money.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-28-2017, 10:06 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a feeling this bull could run longer than the 1982-1999 bull. Like Buffet says we will have interuptions but the beat goes on.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:06 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Or to blow that dough.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I have been rebalancing frequently this year waiting for the bottom to fall out but nothing so far... joke's on me.
I normally rebalance once per year. Today makes the third rebalance this year. But, we are at 70% stocks and I am reluctant to let it drift higher. Each time I have pared stocks back to the 70% level. I considered going lower, but did not.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I’ve been hanging in there waiting. Distributions expected next month I will take in cash, and that should take care of most of the Jan rebalancing for me. I have done a little trimming on foreign funds which are way ahead.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The trip from 20k to 25k is redefining The Roaring Twenties.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #33

Dow 25k count down begins. Tax cuts are on the way.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Currently, it is not to the same level, but why do I have some nagging déjà vu feelings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
+1
+2.

I didn't feel that way until this week. Something about the bitcoin thing and the tech rally (aside from yesterday) gave me that feeling.

At Megacorp, people are talking a lot like I remember in 1999, using no downside terms when it comes to Megacorp Stock.

It is unsettling me, but I'm not a timer, so I'm just checking the shutters and door latches. Oh, and I'm discounting my portfolio 20% in planning for ER next year. Trying to take some of the sequence of return risk out of the equation.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

The last time I had that feeling of leaving too much money on the table (by being too conservatively invested) was in 2007. Back then I increased my equity allocation because I started to feel like I was falling behind and it turned out to be a mistake. I am staying put his time around. Net worth is still up a good amount this year (despite an extensive home renovation project) and I have already raised enough cash to cover next year's expenses. That's good enough.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #36

I'm also having the omg, omg feelings. Everyone I work with is totally oblivious though. I think when statements come out there will be a stampede towards stocks which might be the blow off top everyone waits for to signal the end of a bull market.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
The last time I had that feeling of leaving too much money on the table (by being too conservatively invested) was in 2007. Back then I increased my equity allocation because I started to feel like I was falling behind and it turned out to be a mistake. I am staying put his time around. Net worth is still up a good amount this year (despite an extensive home renovation project) and I have already raised enough cash to cover next year's expenses. That's good enough.
Yes. Good enough is important. At these times, when market adrenalin is on high and animal spirits are running wild, I keep in mind that my most important metric is not % return, it’s portfolio survival. So, for me, it’s stick to the plan and be ready to rebalance.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yes. Good enough is important. At these times, when market adrenalin is on high and animal spirits are running wild, I keep in mind that my most important metric is not % return, it’s portfolio survival. So, for me, it’s stick to the plan and be ready to rebalance.
+1000 Exactly.

I'm ready for the next crash. This time, I have SS and a mini-pension to cover some of my bare bones expenses. I have a lot of cash on hand at the moment, too, and have never had a higher portfolio balance than at present. I am not changing my AA because it is the same AA that got me through 2008-2009 without selling low.

I ran a scenario and even if we repeated the 2008-2009 level of crash, I am ready. I dare you, Fate, bring it on. In the words of Clint Eastwood, "go ahead, make my day".

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
PS - Put in a small rebalance for tomorrow just in case.
Just popped in to say "You're welcome" to everyone. Call me if you need me.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Just popped in to say "You're welcome" to everyone. Call me if you need me.
Just the excuse I need to post some music.

Call me (call me) on the line
Call me, call me any, anytime
Call me (call me) my love
You can call me any day or night
Call me