Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

I will be 90 in 2050. A whippersnapper. Something to look forward to. Gotta get more exercise & less exercised if I wanna blow out 90 candles.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2017, 04:51 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I wonder how many people are waiting to rebalance on Jan 2nd, 2018. If there are a lot like that, you may want to front-run them.
It's about having the discipline to stick to your written plan. Arguably too rigidly.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wonder how many people are waiting to rebalance on Jan 2nd, 2018. If there are a lot like that, you may want to front-run them.

I have a few semiconductor stocks. Their price rise YTD has beaten that of the market, yet the P/E is not excessive and sometimes even lower than that of the market. The forward P/E ratio is ridiculously cheap compared to that of the S&P.

Yet, these stock prices dropped quite a bit the last 2 weeks. There was no news. The entire sector was sold off. The word was that investors were cashing out. I did not beat them out the door, so I am not selling, er, rebalancing out now.
Plenty rebalancing I’m sure including me.

But my experience historically is that the first week of Jan is usually quite positive thanks to the Santa Clause rally which continues into the new year. And the first trading day tends to pop. I’ve heard theories that new pension money is coming into the market Jan 2 so there are plenty of buyers especially at the close.

If a strong selloff has already started by Dec, then you don’t see thus effect, and early Jan is weak. Jan 2016 was like this as part of a 10% market correction due to the sudden collapse of oil prices in 2015.

Personally, the cap gains distributions we take in cash in Dec account for most of our rebalancing, so we’ve already “front run” the selling part, but we will be buying fixed income.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No Dow 25K by the end of today. I think I can live with that.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #85

just had a vision of being at the Kentucky Derby again. That was a long time ago, but same feeling.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC-1982 View Post
It's about having the discipline to stick to your written plan. Arguably too rigidly.
If one wants to follow a written plan, could have written down "I shall rebalance on the 3rd trading session of the New Year", or something like that to avoid walking in lockstep with everybody else.

Of course if the first trading session of the year is the day everybody is buying, then selling is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Plenty rebalancing I’m sure including me.

But my experience historically is that the first week of Jan is usually quite positive thanks to the Santa Clause rally which continues into the new year. And the first trading day tends to pop. I’ve heard theories that new pension money is coming into the market Jan 2 so there are plenty of buyers especially at the close...
This should be verifiable by looking at past records. And if it is true, why doesn't market efficiency take it away? Hmmm...
Old 12-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #87

Quote:
If one wants to follow a written plan, could have written down "I shall rebalance on the 3rd trading session of the New Year", or something like that to avoid walking in lockstep with everybody else.

Of course if the first trading session of the year is the day everybody is buying, then selling is good.

This should be verifiable by looking at past records. And if it is true, why doesn't market efficiency take it away? Hmmm...
Because people do what they have a mind to do and the market is not particularly efficient. People just believe it is... or keep saying they believe it is... It's the conceit that must be believed in order for everything else people insist is true to appear true.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Well, probably not, but anything could happen in the next 3+ hours. I guess I am just greedy to even think of that.

Either way, it's been a good year for me, with the Dow up over 25% since 12/31/2016.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Ain't going to happen in 2017.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:41 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
If you take off that 1/2 pt sell-off at the end of the market close today, we were only 1/2pt away from 25k. SOooooo close, just like the NFL and your favorite team that didn't quite win. I swear it's rigged

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
So near, and yet so far!

Still, I think that going from

19,763 on 12/30/2016, to
24,719 on 12/29/2017,

is absolutely amazing! I can manage to be happy about that.

We can wait until next week to top 25,000.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

OK - so didn’t happen after all. Got close though!
Old 12-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

A dream come true! We suffered through 2008-2009 together, and now is our time to enjoy the "up side".

OMG, this is getting dangerously close to a wheeeee! Please stop yourself
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
OMG, this is getting dangerously close to a wheeeee! Please stop yourself

Old 12-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

When I retired in mid year 2016 the markets were sketchy and had a few friends say it is a really bad time for you to retire. I was nervous enough about my new life so with what the market is today is a blessing and a relief for me. I would not have believed anyone that the market would be so high.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #96

I try to remind myself in times like these that years ago the media loved to write articles on how the market is overheated and is due for a major correction.

Of course, we know it's coming eventually. But it just reminds us that nobody can predict when, and ignoring all of the prognosticators who like to tell us what to expect is the best financial advice we can give anyone.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #97

I think assigning deeper meaning to these "round" numbers and dates is just proof that the market is inefficient and driven by emotion as much as fact.

I did some minor re-balancing last weekend, mostly because I had time and it was somewhat overdue (over a year since the last change.) It was not really tied to any date or number, but did reflect some personal opinions about larger market trends, and the changes that have occurred in my AA since last time.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:36 AM   #98
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
When I retired in mid year 2016 the markets were sketchy and had a few friends say it is a really bad time for you to retire. I was nervous enough about my new life so with what the market is today is a blessing and a relief for me. I would not have believed anyone that the market would be so high.
The markets were sketchy in mid-2016?

I must have missed that.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #99
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I think assigning deeper meaning to these "round" numbers and dates is just proof that the market is inefficient and driven by emotion as much as fact.
I'm not sure if "inefficient" is the right word here and I'm not sure the market is drive by emotion "as much" as fact. But at least some of the market is still driven by human beings rather than by computers.

Behavioral economics tells us that people assign meaning/value to round numbers, and that meaning often drives behavior.

Sellers learned that people purchase more when the price is $19.99 than when it is $20.00.

Similarly, some of the people here will be disappointed that the Dow didn't quite reach 25,000, even though that magic number has no more importance than 24,719.22.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:44 AM   #100
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm not sure if "inefficient" is the right word here and I'm not sure the market is drive by emotion "as much" as fact. But at least some of the market is still driven by human beings rather than by computers.

Behavioral economics tells us that people assign meaning/value to round numbers, and that meaning often drives behavior.

Sellers learned that people purchase more when the price is $19.99 than when it is $20.00.

Similarly, some of the people here will be disappointed that the Dow didn't quite reach 25,000, even though that magic number has no more actual importance than 24,719.22.