Dow 26k by Jan. 31

It's amazing! It just goes up, and up, and up, and up. It's like we are headed straight up to the sky in a rocket. I know it can't last forever, so I'm battening down the hatches for the inevitable crash. But for now, what a ride! :D

OK:

house paid off
new paid off car this spring and no other debt
no cable TV or landline, cheap cell phone
bare bones expenses cut way back
social security and mini-pension
crash helmet on

3....2....1.... here we go!

That's quite a rocket-fueled wheee!

I kept scraping gains to keep to my 58-60% stock minimum allocation last year (max is 66%.) Despite my best efforts it is back up to 63% today.

I was half expecting a meltup if World economic conditions kept improving, but this is a bit reminiscent of 2000. World stocks have left even the US in the dust for the last 6 months, so I'm recapturing what was left behind due to US outperformance last year or two recently.
I scraped off 1% of stock gains yesterday and probably will do the same or more in a couple weeks, if this keeps going. I just moved my first retirement fund withdrawal on MOnday from cash since DW is retiring in February, and I would like to lock in next year's withdrawal if this continues for a week or two. At this rate it will only take another week or two (although it seems impossible).
After that, I'll sit back in the LazyBoy for at least a month or two.

Last edited:
I'll also note that what went way up in 1999-2002 to create the "new normal," also went way, way, way, way down.
I'm harvesting while the wheat sheaves are ripening (note I didn't say ripe.)
YMMV--I looked like an idiot in 2001 and in 2006-7. Afterwards, normal intelligence.

Last edited:
Yesterday was especially crazy. DH has Intel, Oracle and Microsoft in his IRA, holdovers from the days before we became bogleheads, that DH doesn't want to part with for sentimental reasons, so yesterday was especially good to us.

We play a sort of game where I do a quick and dirty calc each day of our total investment $$ gains since previous month end. DH will try to guess the new month to date gain and fake disappointment that it is not as high as he thinks it should be. Yesterday, that number totally blew his guess out of the water.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Current CAPE10 needs to go up another 28% from 34.75 to get to the last high of 44.5. and that's without the bad 2008 profit results being replaced by better 2018 profit results.

I've got crazy like a bag of cats with an open can of tuna.... had 80% of my IRA in SOXL TQQQ & UPRO past couple years. What a ride!

Now rebalancing to a more boring AA

Big money guru legend says melt up target is S&P 3400-3800.

These targets have become meaningless to me because i can't keep track of the S&P level. I feel like a stalker and that i should get a life when i keep looking at all the new highs.

Glad to see everyone is so happy to see the market going up like it has been (as well as me). I was just on the Vanguard website and mentioned to my wife that since we jumped into "the market" in March 2014, our portfolio is up 6.8% (Vanguard Wellesley). I'm still thanking members of this forum for their recommendation. I would still have been in 1.5% CD's if not for them.

I was just on the Vanguard website and mentioned to my wife that since we jumped into "the market" in March 2014, our portfolio is up 6.8%
(Vanguard Wellesley). I'm still thanking members of this forum for their recommendation. I would still have been in 1.5% CD's if not for them.

But will you still love us when the market does a U turn? :)

But will you still love us when the market does a U turn? :)

I know!! :) Not about Jonnie, but I know enough people who would blame me! Because some people don't understand long term investments. Having said that, I know I would definitely feel the sting if the market turned around. But we got a thick cushion we could shed if he had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I think the big ... I won't cal it a mistake... but perhaps blind spot.. is that the stock market and the economy and how big a H/O business is getting from tax cuts whether needed or unneeded

Another view, might be that they have been relieved of burdens (maybe unfair?) that allow them to focus on US growth and activity rather than trying to escape high taxation and other obstacles?

27k this week.

This is more entertaining than all the movies and TV in the world! Each day the market is open, I sit down with a big glass of icewater (my favorite beverage) and check the Dow and my mutual fund share prices at closing. More fun than a barrel of monkeys, as the saying goes.

Between the market gains and my biggest quarterly bonus ever, this is turning out to be a ridiculously pleasant financial month for us. No long term expectations here, just enjoying the moment while it lasts. :)

Between the market gains and my biggest quarterly bonus ever, this is turning out to be a ridiculously pleasant financial month for us. No long term expectations here, just enjoying the moment while it lasts. :)

Great attitude, and BTW, congratulations on your bonus!

That feeling in 08/09 sucked. Waking up everyday wondering if the gig was up. Banks circling the drain. Congress looking more clueless than usual. Like a bad dream. Were rollin now. 35k by June.

Monday premarkets are, you guessed it, up. The hindsight spectacles report that the time to convert it all to Roth was earlier this decade.

That feeling in 08/09 sucked. Waking up everyday wondering if the gig was up. Banks circling the drain. ....
Buying the dips as part of your re-balance plan. Watching the comeback make you richer than you ever imagined?

If you can't handle the ride, get into treasuries, TIPs, or something 'safe'. But then you miss all the fun. Your choice, but don't expect any "ups" if you aren't prepared for "downs".

Oh my. And what kind of record does "Big money guru legend" have?

-ERD50

US markets are richly priced but the US is the cradle of capitalism. The fountain of optimisim. If you want to get rich & don't mind getting your hands dirty there's no better place to do it.

US markets are richly priced but the US is the cradle of capitalism. The fountain of optimisim. If you want to get rich & don't mind getting your hands dirty there's no better place to do it.

Love the post.

And bursting with talent in every corner of the country.

Does this involve dirty diapers? Maybe I misunderstood the metaphor...:LOL:

Maybe that's what it took?

tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom