Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just for perspective here are some year-to-date results for some Vanguard Lifecycle Retirement funds which are fairly well diversified:
Code:

retire_date    YTD   stock/bond allocation

2005          -1.00   42/58
2010          -1.95   54/46
2015          -2.68   63/37
My own portfolio is down slightly and compares favorably to the 2010 results (I have the same AA) although I've been FIRE'd for 5 years. So far this has been a pretty mild bear market but no predictions for what's coming next. I could imagine a vicious set of declines or that we will be up and partying at the end of this year.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOn View Post
Can't argue with that. I always enjoy your bits of wisdom. I haven't been around long but it always sounds like you actually walk the talk.
That's exactly my plan - - to live on my substantial chunk of Wellesley (which doesn't do too much of the rollercoaster, being primarily bonds) and to rely on my equity funds to combat inflation. So why would that view not be shared by many on this forum?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #163
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
That's exactly my plan - - to live on my substantial chunk of Wellesley (which doesn't do too much of the rollercoaster) and to rely on my equity funds to combat inflation. So why would that view not be shared by many on this forum?
It seems to me many think they will be living on their 10% returns (sure thing) from stocks. You said you only hold stocks to combat inflation, I might not have read you correctly.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's exactly my plan - - to live on my substantial chunk of Wellesley (which doesn't do too much of the rollercoaster) and to rely on my equity funds to combat inflation. So why would that view not be shared by many on this forum?
Well golly gee, who would know?

Ha
Old 06-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #165
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It seems to me many think they will be living on their 10% returns (sure thing) from stocks. You said you only hold stocks to combat inflation, I might not have read you correctly.
Ive never seen a single person here claim they will be living on 10% returns.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Ive never seen a single person here claim they will be living on 10% returns.
Come on now, awhile ago I asked what return would be an acceptable return to give up on stocks. Only a few said anything less than 8%, many said 10-12%, some even more.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right - - what I wrote was:
Quote:
It's not like they're going to be down FOREVER, y'know.... and besides, the main function of stocks (for me, anyway) is just to combat the effects of inflation on my portfolio, not to live on.
to which you replied
Quote:
Now that's an interesting view, I appreciate the concept. I doubt that view is shared by many on this Forum though.
And no, I don't think so many of us will be relying on 10% returns from their stocks to live on. Bonds (such as the majority of Wellesley) have a big function in the portfolios of many here.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #168

Quote:
Right - - what I wrote was:

And no, I don't think so many of us will be relying on 10% returns from their stocks to live on. Bonds (such as the majority of Wellesley) have a big function in the portfolios of many here.
I stand corrected. Sorry.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Stocks are going to do great in the future -- just don't ask me when . I tried to get you guys to look at Primecap last year and its up +1.19% YTD: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...wth-31631.html

P.S. Don't take this too seriously, it's just money.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I stand corrected. Sorry.
Well, you haven't been around long yet but I found it humorous that you apparently thought that what I was saying was in such contradiction with what UncleMick was saying.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Stocks are going to do great in the future -- just don't ask me when .
They always seem to turn around, don't they!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #172

Two peas in a pod, huh?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Two peas in a pod, huh?
Wellesley is Wellesley and I guess I should have specified (though most here know I have a big chunk of it).

Old 06-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #174

I do think the 4% plus yield is great. I wouldn't argue with your approach, it has a reasonably good chance of working out well over the long run.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do think the 4% plus yield is great. I wouldn't argue with your approach, it has a reasonably good chance of working out well over the long run.
That was my opinion as well... it's a very common approach. Many combine Wellesley with Wellington, for example.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #176

I wish you nothing but good luck with it.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
it's a very common approach. Many combine Wellesley with Wellington, for example.
That's exactly what I plan to do. I am shooting for an overall dividend yield close to 3.5% and a 50% stocks / 50% bonds AA. A core mixture of 50% Wellesley and 50% Wellington should get me there. The plan is to rely solely on the dividends generated by my portfolio to pay for my living expenses. The stock portion should allow the portfolio (and the income it generates) to grow overtime (hopefully keeping pace with inflation). Kind of a Norwegian widow approach I guess...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
I tried to get you guys to look at Primecap last year and its up +1.19% YTD: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...wth-31631.html
Damn! We shoulda jumped all over that one.

Ha
Old 06-07-2008, 07:30 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Pssst - Wellesley = current yield 4.24% or a tad higher than the mighty mighty 4% rule.

heh heh heh - just thought I'd mention it. And I can still get by on my Target retirement 2015 at 3.05% in a hard times mode.

And and those Vanguard computers rebalance away - whether I laugh or cry. . Carry on!
What does that mean, the dividend distributions from that fund is 4.24% of the current price?

But they only do distributions at certain times of the year so the yield could be different right?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
That's exactly what I plan to do. I am shooting for an overall dividend yield close to 3.5% and a 50% stocks / 50% bonds AA. A core mixture of 50% Wellesley and 50% Wellington should get me there. The plan is to rely solely on the dividends generated by my portfolio to pay for my living expenses. The stock portion should allow the portfolio (and the income it generates) to grow overtime (hopefully keeping pace with inflation). Kind of a Norwegian widow approach I guess...
Are you referring to the admiral shares or whichever ones require $100k minimums?

Lump-sump purchase or average into it over a period of time?

I guess if 100k minimum, you'd have to buy a chunk at once and then could add to it.

So no DRIP, you'd take dividends into your cash account and spend it?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote