Join Early Retirement Today

dow down but I am up
Old 09-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

dow down but I am up

dow down slightly but I am up on everything...bonds stocks reits forein.. average .5% today

First time I have seen this happen .

I usually move in the same direction at about half speed.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, keep in mind that the Dow is a weighted index of 30 industrial stocks. And because it is weighted, 9 stocks (IBM, Chevron, 3M, McDonalds, ExxonMobil, Caterpillar, United Technologies, WalMart and Boeing) make up 50% of the weight. The complete breakdown is here. Some stocks, like Amazon, Google and Apple, are not even on the list.

That being said, my portfolio seems to move closer to the Russell 2000 than the Dow. On the other hand, since DW and I still work for Dow Components, it remains important to me. I think that I use it most as a reminder to check in on my portfolio.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I find that if I take the average of the Dow, Nasdaq, and S&P500, that's usually more or less how my portfolio does in any given day. However, I'm weighted a bit heavily in Apple (AAPL) and Cedar Fair (FUN), so if one, or both of those decide to go off on their own tangent, it can throw a curveball into things.

FWIW, my Scottrade portfolio is up about 0.4% today. And actually, I kinda hope the market dips a bit, because the automatic investment into my 401k goes through this evening.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Our portfolio is once again dominated by DW's company stock. If that stock is up, we're up. If that stock is down, we're down. Today it is up.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #5

I only follow the S&P and Nasdaq to approximate my domestic index fund values. The DOW doesn't mean much in my case.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Our NW also took a nice jump in the + direction yesterday -- also about .5%, but as the total number is substantial that is quite a bit in pure dollar terms.

We're closing in on a couple of major milestones, including crossing into 7 figures on investible assets. Property is the other big chunk of our net worth.

I'm not gonna shout "wh*********" as I'd like to hit those targets this year. But if we don't that won't necessarily be a bad thing either -- just another buying opportunity.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dow doesn't mean much to me either as my stocks are much broader than the Dow. My stocks tend more to follow the S&P 500 than the Dow or Nasdaq.

.44% yesterday for me , but I do have a sense of irrational exuberance - we have gone up too much too fast.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard energy fund VGENX was up 2% on Fri. I didn't consider that too much, as there has been a 3-month trough previously. It feels like an over-correction for the day, and it must unsettle the pundits who write about Sept as a slow month, historically.

Still, I have confidence in the big companies to muddle through. Fact is there are huge cash reserves, and these companies are picking their spots for investment in research, resources, infrastructure.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The Dow is up again, and my portfolio is up too, at another all time high, probably not that unusual of an observation for forum members these days. The satisfaction that I see now in thread after thread, is a welcome change from the angst expressed in some threads back in 2008-2009.

Wh.... Wh..... Wh.... Oh well, I'll wait a bit.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The Dow is up again, and my portfolio is up too, at another all time high, probably not that unusual of an observation for forum members these days. The satisfaction that I see now in thread after thread, is a welcome change from the angst expressed in some threads back in 2008-2009.

No...... please don't do dat
Old 09-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Ok sooo after 19 yrs of ER I'm supposed to look?

Football season has started.

heh heh heh - Crap! 9/15 is coming up - have to run Tubo Tax and pay some estimated tax cause I played around this summer and sold a few good stocks. It's a male hormone thing - that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
.44% yesterday for me , but I do have a sense of irrational exuberance - we have gone up too much too fast.
Then why not rebalance now, instead of lets say waiting for the end of the year??
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #13

I'm up 2x my contributions to my TSP so far this year, so can't complain about that! The downside is I don't have nearly the balance I oughta have at this point in my life. I've contributed a little over $15k so far this year and my earnings are a little north of $30k, for a total of +$45k. Hopefully things will continue to be positive through the end of the year......

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Then why not rebalance now, instead of lets say waiting for the end of the year??
TJ
AA isn't that far off of target at this point.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
AA isn't that far off of target at this point.
But that's kinda my point, don't wait for it to be far off, do it now, it might make you feel better if you think the market is going to correct.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm interested to see where the market moves this fall/winter... my gut says that everything is still grossly overvalued as we approach the highs we saw in 2007. There is no way that 5 years of printing money in a stalled economy has diluted that bulge enough to warrant the return we've seen. Fundamentally... we need jobs to return before the market grows, which is why I'm scratching my head at this.

As always, there are stocks out their with true value... but they are getting harder and harder to find.
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I just checked my performance of the individual stocks I've been holding and occasionally trading vs my mutual funds, which are primarily the VG total stock market and international index. My picks were quite a bit off for all time periods, and I finally decided that I'm not paying enough attention to managing them and even if I was, I'd still probably be lagging. The final blow was thinking that Facebook had bottomed at 21.53. So after a few days of reflecting, I sold all but one big gainer that would put me over the 15% line and am moving the money into the index funds.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote