DOW drops 5000

Depending on the index you are using, that would be sometime last October. Or if you have daily figures from your own accounts they can be helpful, especially if you make a ratio between your experience and the index. Most of us who are living off a portfolio hit our highs sometime last October.
I know the exact date of my personal high -- the day I ignored the voices telling me to dump all my stocks -- October 31, 2007. A day which will live in infamy.

I know the exact date of my personal high -- the day I ignored the voices telling me to dump all my stocks -- October 31, 2007. A day which will live in infamy.

The Undead were speaking to you.

The Dow is -31.26% YTD as I write this.

I like our chances to take out all except 1931.

Just eyeballing Google finance, looks like the Dow is down 36.24% since Oct 11. Wheeeeeee. and the S&P may settle below 950 by EOD. Double-Wheeeee :(

1930 -33.77%
1931 -52.67%

Sooo - if Gramps went into 1930 with $100,000 in the market he started 1931 with $66,230 and then got smacked and ended 1931 with $31, 347 - less than a third of what he started with two years before?

Any of us doing that badly? Methinks Grandpa & Grannie were made of sterner stuff than us.

Just eyeballing Google finance, looks like the Dow is down 36.24% since Oct 11. Wheeeeeee. and the S&P may settle below 950 by EOD. Double-Wheeeee :(

It has certainly been a market that rewards procrastination about buying. If I think something is cheap, I usually don't mess around, just hit the button for a market buy on a high volume stock., or pick anearby limit for a slower trading one.

Today I wanted HAL, but I saw that the S&P is making another dive down into the close- so I thought- hey, maybe I'll just wait a minute.

Already down another 5%!

If I am willing to wait one week, someone may pay me to take it off their hands.

Ha

It has certainly been a market that rewards procrastination about buying. I fi thinksomething is cheap, I usually don't mess around, just hit the button for amarket buy on a high volume stock.

Agreed. I know I badly need to rebalance, but I just don't see much point of rushing into do it in this incredibly horrible market.

One of the many advantages of retirement is you don't have to wait until the weekend to be alcohol enhanced. Just ask Dawg54...

True. I just wonder what I'm gonna do when I can't afford beer any longer.
img_728644_0_63a18a1c7f3248ff7f22ad65f253b77c.gif

True. I just wonder what I'm gonna do when I can't afford beer any longer.
img_728650_0_63a18a1c7f3248ff7f22ad65f253b77c.gif

Out of curiosity, is brewing at home, once you know what you're doing and can make a good batch, cheaper than comparable wares?

You know, at some point some people are going to look around and say, "You know, Genuine Parts paying a 4.5% dividend, or Pfizer paying 7.0%, or Philip Morris paying 5%, look like a good deal." I don't think any of those companies are going out of business. Even if we aren't buying new cars, we'll need parts to go get our drugs for lung disease from the cigarettes we smoke.

You know, at some point some people are going to look around and say, "You know, Genuine Parts paying a 4.5% dividend, or Genuine Parts paying 4.5%, or Philip Morris paying 5%, look like a good deal." I don't think any of those companies are going out of business. Even if we aren't buying new cars, we'll need parts to go get our drugs for lung disease from the cigarettes we smoke.
You just had to go into cash ahead of time in order to have the money to jump at these bargains.

Why don't we just go down to 100 and start all over again?

(rhetorical question; no need to answer with the specifics on why this wouldn't work.)

Why don't we just go down to 100 and start all over again?

(rhetorical question; no need to answer with the specifics on why this wouldn't work.)

At this rate we'll be there before you know it.

Vanguard's website is super slow right now... looking at the DOW right now, I'd say people are probably selling en masse...

Back
Top Bottom