Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You were right for previous years, but getting my own age 70 social security starting last year (instead of half my ex-husband's SS which was much less, and which I had from ages 66-69) was a big help and meant that I didn't have to withdraw as much from my investment portfolio.

I have been trying to think of ways to Blow That Dough, that's for sure! I know I can't take it with me, and old age is creeping up on me fast.
A good dilemma to have, nonetheless!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I smell "irrational exuberance"...
Well then we should have 2 or 3 more years of up markets....
Old 11-26-2019, 03:28 PM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Market high for DW and me as well. My estimates are telling me that we're on schedule to hit a major milestone in about six months. Of course that's assuming things continue the way they are. Fingers crossed.

BTW - W2R, I really like the quote in your sig. As I get older, I'm acquiring a deeper appreciation for the written word.
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone View Post
Market high for DW and me as well. My estimates are telling me that we're on schedule to hit a major milestone in about six months. Of course that's assuming things continue the way they are. Fingers crossed.

BTW - W2R, I really like the quote in your sig. As I get older, I'm acquiring a deeper appreciation for the written word.
Thank you, Vincenzo! And also, I am so glad to read that you have reached a market high again. It is terrific that so many of us are experiencing this together, day after day.

How exciting that you are on schedule to hit that major milestone in six months. Good luck with that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:29 AM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

It can’t last forever. But it sure is fun in the meantime.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Thank goodness it’s time for rebalancing! LOL!
Old 11-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Thank goodness it’s time for rebalancing! LOL!
I'm going to wait until New Year's. It's only five weeks from now, and I usually rebalance then anyway.

Besides, even if it wasn't so close to the end of the year, my AA is not out of balance quite far enough to trigger a rebalance yet. Getting close, though!

Old 11-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

The Dow closed out at 28,164 today, the highest ever for the Dow (and for my portfolio+bank), once again.

Many of us have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving! OK, being thankful for the market is pretty mundane and less important than some other reasons. But still, it's pretty cool.

Mostly I am thankful that my loved ones are well and happy, that my knee is all better after knee replacement surgery and recovery, and that (while the world still has its problems!) at least there are no active nuclear World Wars in progress right now AFAIK. But in there between the more human, important stuff, somewhere I can slide in the idea of being thankful that the market is giving such a nice financial boost to many of us.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #129
gone traveling

At this rate, I should be able to hit $300K in a few months in my 401K....a good milestone with 10 years to go.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:16 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

I finally set a new personal high water mark. The last one was at the end of Jan 2018, almost 2 years ago.

Why it took me so long, if the S&P is up quite a bit since then? If you have to know, it's because I have quite a bit of international stocks particularly emerging markets, and biotech. These sectors surged in Jan 2018, propelling my portfolio way past the S&P, only to trail it since then. They have not quite caught up at this moment even.

But on the positive side, I have withdrawn a few percent since Jan 2018, and that WR in the last 2 years has been refilled by the bull market. Can't complain about that.

Where for the market to go from here? I don't know, but am quite comfortable with my AA of 55% stock and will play it by ear.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:40 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Yay - good for you!
Old 11-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Mine is at an all-time high also! I'm not sure how long it'll last, but I'm enjoying this.

I'm so used to seeing my portfolio grow since retirement, despite taking distributions that I have no idea what it'll feel like to see it come down year by year, at least not yet.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

My, is it setting a new record again?
Old 12-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #134
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
My, is it setting a new record again?
The fed announced its going to fire hose another 500B into the repo markets over the year end turn. The $ gotta go somewhere.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Another all time high for my (portfolio + bank balances), after the NYSE closed yesterday! OK, my SS bank deposit helped push that total upwards. But still, my portfolio went up several thousand too and I am happily amazed.

Who would have thought this long term bull market would even happen. Not me, back in 2009 when I retired. I was in "scared-but-determined" mode. Financial people on the TV and internet were predicting the worst, saying an even more severe market drop was absolutely certain and imminent, but here it is more than ten years later and it never happened.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

It feels a bit like early 2000's and late 2007. That is, our portfolio totals are kind of high and I'm feeling a bit giddy.

But ... real interest rates are very low compared to those past high water markets. Back in late 2007 real 5 year rates were above 2%. Now the 5 year TIPS rates is 0.04%.

So maybe this continues?

Or maybe the party moves on to international stocks. Greedy thought there.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Back in late 2007 real 5 year rates were above 2%. Now the 5 year TIPS rates is 0.04%.
And yet--the 30 yr TIPS sits at 0.48%, and the 30 year Treasury is at 2.25%. Is it realistic to believe inflation over the next 30 years will not average greater than 1.77% per year?

Still, I agree it is hard to buy bonds with a 0.48% real rate and feel like I'm getting a bargain.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Dow over 28,000!
Old 12-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Dow over 28,000!

There have been fifteen record highs, this year alone...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clos..._record_closes

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

On a somewhat related note for those that have monies at Fidelity.
The returns for today appear to be way off on all my index funds to the down side based on what the markets did today.
Anyone else seeing this issue?
Old 12-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
On a somewhat related note for those that have monies at Fidelity.
The returns for today appear to be way off on all my index funds to the down side based on what the markets did today.
Anyone else seeing this issue?
Did your index funds have year end capital gains or dividend distributions? That's usually the reason.

Also, at Vanguard at least, the share price will drop on the ex-dividend date, but the dividend itself takes a few days to show up.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote