• 11500 - 12500

Votes: 41 39.4%
  • Over 12500

Votes: 14 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shotgunner

Full time employment: Posting here.
It seems to me such a poll only happens when things are not looking good so I thought it would be fun to see where people think we are headed for the end of this year.

9682. Not so much because I'm really bearish on the prospects for continued recovery but because I think the market got way ahead of itself in its sharp recovery, overshot "fair value" on the way back up and is due for a significant correction.

I'll go second. Dow 11,850. That will be up 12% from the start of the year. Seems reasonable given where we were in 07 and 08. And our economic situation will be 9 months clearer by then (not necessarily better though).

I think it'll rise through summer and then retreat to current levels by year's end as interst rates start to climb, so I'll say 11,100.

I have actually never paid that much attention to the price levels. I focus on the dividends, and the potential capital gains are just a bonus. The crash has made me prefer this way of looking at it even more so.

My guess is: 11500 - 12500

Is this like “the price is right”? Is there a prize?

All right, I say the Dow below 9000. Say, 8750

and,

The unemployment rate stays above 9.5%
The Cubs are gonna win the pennant
The Dems will keep the house
My wife and kids will appreciate me

Is this like “the price is right”? Is there a prize?

All right, I say the Dow below 9000. Say, 8750

and,

The unemployment rate stays above 9.5%
The Dems will keep the house
My wife and kids will appreciate me

Hah. Let's hope you got that last one right. At my house that might be the biggest miracle of all.

I'll say Dow 12050 just because it seems like it should actually go down from current levels but it never does what I think anyway.

I'll go with 12340

Are there going to be any prizes?

A previous year end stock market pollster used to promise some pretty nice gifts...

Gazing into my crystal ball and I see 11800. It will surge forward and flirt with 12000 and then contract to 11800. That's my answer and I am sticking to it.

That one, at least, is lookin' good! Pretty much in the bag. We've had a few minor issues the last few decades, but all those seem to be cleared up and we're ready!

Coach

I like that! I'll see that and up you one, to 12,825. :D

When the skies are bright canary yellow
I forget every cloud I've ever seen
So they called me a cockeyed optimist
Immature and incurably green

I have heard people rant and rave and bellow
That we're done and we might as well be dead
But I'm only a cockeyed optimist
And I can't get it out of my head

I hear the human race is falling on its face
And hasn't very far to go
But every whippoorwill is selling me a bill
And telling me it just ain't so

I could say life is just a bowl of Jello
And appear more intelligent and smart
But I'm stuck like a dope with a thing called hope
And I can't get it out of my heart
Not this heart

by R. Rodgers and O. Hammerstein

I'll sit this dance out, I must admit that after the last 2 years I don't have a clue.

That one, at least, is lookin' good! Pretty much in the bag. We've had a few minor issues the last few decades, but all those seem to be cleared up and we're ready!

I love the Cubs. I'm looking forward to them winning the pennant and then getting crushed in 4 games by the Twins in the World Series.

Last edited:
No clue. But I hope the 12k predictions here are correct. I'll take the rest of my chips off the table if that happens.:)

No clue. But I hope the 12k predictions here are correct. I'll take the rest of my chips off the table if that happens.:)

You still have chips on the table? I thought you must have cashed them in a while back. ;) Just joking. Anyway, I'll bet you are glad you're not all in money market this year. I sure am.

I made a very high prediction, but none of us really have a clue (except that multi-billionaire over there in the corner who doesn't say much).

Sorry, I got confused. The poll asks what the Dow will be at on 12/31/20. I thought it was just for fun, since nobody could have even the slightest clue. I should have figured it out by looking at the numbers. Too tired from working in the garden today, I guess.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom