Join Early Retirement Today

Dow to drop over 4000 pts and other news at 11PM
Old 06-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dow to drop over 4000 pts and other news at 11PM

Here is a cheery prediction from MarketWatch.

Get ready for a 4,000-point Dow drop
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

that should keep the talking heads busy. it probably won't stop them from covering the sex lives of the rich and famous, unfortunately.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #3

I can almost guarantee a 4000 point drop in the Dow. That's about 22%, which has happened many times in the past. I just can't predict when it will happen.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #4

Yawn, 11 pm is way past my bed time.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

4000 points? Is that all? Piece o' cake. (yawn!)

2008-2009 was a great training exercise for us and after dealing with that crash and coming out of it nicely (as many of us did), such a drop would seem like child's play.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Lol. For every prediction of a huge decline, there is an offsetting prediction of a huge gain. All by noted experts in their field. Agree, gives the talking heads something to chatter about.
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I can almost guarantee a 4000 point drop in the Dow. That's about 22%, which has happened many times in the past. I just can't predict when it will happen.
1987! One day.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Garbage, no surprise. While interest rates have an effect on markets long term, the premise from the link is inaccurate to begin with:
Quote:
Are there parallels to this current market environment? Yes — 1987.

The summer that year began with a slow, methodical rise in actual rates. Yet the Fed did not raise the discount rate, even though actual rates suggested otherwise. The fall of 1987 arrived with the stock market having hit an all-time high in late August, unfazed by this unsettled condition.

As it happened, the Federal Reserve was literally forced to raise interest rates. Policymakers were behind the curve severely, just as the Fed is now. The 1987 rising-rate action caused stock prices to tumble more than 30% within two months, including a sharp 20% selloff in October — still among the Dow Jones Industrial Average’s worst one-day percentage declines ever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Monday_%281987%29
Quote:
Possible causes for the decline included program trading, overvaluation, illiquidity, and market psychology.

A popular explanation for the 1987 crash was selling by program traders, most notably as a reaction to the computerized selling required by portfolio insurance hedges.[10] However, economist Dean Furbush points out that the biggest price drops occurred when trading volume was light.[11] In program trading, computers perform rapid stock executions based on external inputs, such as the price of related securities. Common strategies implemented by program trading involve an attempt to engage in arbitrage and portfolio insurance strategies. As computer technology became more available, the use of program trading grew dramatically within Wall Street firms. After the crash, many blamed program trading strategies for blindly selling stocks as markets fell, exacerbating the decline. Some economists theorized the speculative boom leading up to October was caused by program trading, and that the crash was merely a return to normalcy. Either way, program trading ended up taking the majority of the blame in the public eye for the 1987 stock market crash. U.S. Congressman Edward J. Markey, who had been warning about the possibility of a crash, stated that "Program trading was the principal cause."[12]

New York University's Anna Chen divides the causes into macroeconomic and internal reasons. Macroeconomic causes included international disputes about foreign exchange and interest rates, and fears about inflation.
The internal reasons included innovations with index futures and portfolio insurance. I've seen accounts that maybe roughly half the trading on that day was a small number of institutions with portfolio insurance. Big guys were dumping their stock. Also, the futures market in Chicago was even lower than the stock market, and people tried to arbitrage that. The proper strategy was to buy futures in Chicago and sell in the New York cash market. It made it hard – the portfolio insurance people were also trying to sell their stock at the same time.[13]

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

That would be time to "buybuybuy!".
Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #10

A 4000 pt/22% drop would be the correction we've been expecting for what, a couple of years now. Pretty regular. I was hoping for a larger buying opportunity
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
1987! One day.
That was the year I learned not to sell on panics.

I had very little in the market ($2K in an IRA maybe), but one of my office mates did. She and her husband really did panic. They sold all their stocks at a large loss and didn't get back in the market in time.

I was able to look at what they did and see how stupid they had been.

Every time the market tanks I think of them and it helps me to stay invested. This has severed me very well.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #12

And, in other news, tomorrow morning it is predicted the Sun will rise in the East!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #13

If you visit the MarketWatch site often enough, you will see those kinds of headlines are a regular occurrence on there. It's click-bait - nothing more.

What's the old expression......"they've predicted nine of the last 5 recessions"

Keep your powder dry. Have your Exit Strategy planned if it gets really nasty. But relying on MarketWatch for anything more than their daily charts is not a good thing.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We had nothing in the market before, but I put everything we had (about $20K) in the market on the Tuesday & Wednesday after Black Monday. The first of several great opportunities. We have been in and stayed in ever since.

I'd rather be lucky than good...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #15

The article author is full of manure , but I always welcome sale prices on good, dividend paying equities.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

...and the winner is.... !!!!
@11:45 ET... the DOW!!!
UP... 260 Pts.

imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #17

We all like to think we know more in life than we actually do. This applies to the stock market as much as anything else.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #18

I love a sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
...and the winner is.... !!!!