Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, I just saw this ignorance demonstrated on Cash Cab. The question was, "Named after the Senator who proposed it, what saving plan provides tax free withdrawals after retirement?" The guys in the cab didn't know and the street shout out came up with Wellstone as the answer.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I think what's really important here is that the Saint's came back and stomped poor Indy after the Tampa Bay fiasco.

And yes I'm still pretty much full auto in Target Retirement(aka balanced index fund).

In both cases did I stay the course and not watch or get all emotional? Well not exactly. So I peeked but I stayed the course.

heh heh heh - Geaux Saint's. Full auto hurry up just stand there.

9 individual stocks(ex DRIP Plans) left - for the hormones in case football fails me.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It's crazy - - unemployment is out of sight, people are rioting all over the world, national debts are spiraling upwards, economies are said to be teetering on the brink of collapse, and yet the S&P 500 Extends Best Month Since ’74, Euro Rises
While all this is true, and more, and consumer sentiment is below 50 (47?), 3Q corporate profits are reasonably good, and outlooks are stable. 3Q GDP growth wasn't great at 2.5%, but much better than last quarter. And, if by default, every quarter further away from this mess we get, the closer we'll be to reducing the excess housing inventory. Along this same line, the average age of our auto fleet is increasing, and those cars will need to be replaced. Not to mention a brazillion dollars on corporate balance sheets.

I'm still 45% bonds, 35% stocks, 10% cash, and 5% each in a REIT and a commodities fund. And with all the volatility of late, my 25% rebalance bands have only been triggered once, so no shuffling since late spring. Coincidentally, I'm about 5% down from the all-time high, with a standard deviation approching infinity...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I rebalanced in May. The mkt never did go down enough for me to rebalance again....

I reckon I'll wait it out.

In the meantime it is nice to see the portfolio grow...
Old 10-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I took some profits today.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It's crazy - - unemployment is out of sight, people are rioting all over the world, national debts are spiraling upwards, economies are said to be teetering on the brink of collapse, and yet the S&P 500 Extends Best Month Since ’74, Euro Rises
Perhaps it's easier to understand if you consider that there is money around looking for a home. It has to light somewhere. What matters is not how much unemployment there is, but where there is the least unemployment. Where are there the fewest riots? Where are national debts least out of control? Which economies are least likely to collapse?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It was already down over 60 points to 340 before the market closed...
That was me....sorry about that
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Man, I wish we could see 2008/2009 bear markets again. What a buying opportunity! Even a May 2010 flash crash would be awesome. This going up 400 points in a day isn't helping my dollar cost averaging and attempt to buy low. I mean, making half a year's salary in a day is cool and all, but I like buying stuff on the cheap.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

My portfolio hardly moved today. My preferred shares and REITs got a little boost, but mostly by less than 1%.

On the other hand, if ( when ) the correction occurs, my portfolio will not decline as quickly.

Suits me fine, as at my age I'm more concerned with capital preservation, so as long as I have my dividend and bond income, I am OK.

Doing OK with some naked puts, however. May buy to close and take profit next week if this market rise continues tomorrow.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #30

Quote:
W2R, nobody ever said the market was based on logic. If it was, we'd all be flying high. As you said it's crazy. That's why I'm not in it anymore. I sleep so good at night.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #31

I am going to make a wild prediction--

DOW 20000 by the end of 2015.

Housing will turn around by then and we will see the economy running on all cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Still plenty of room to run. Patience, grasshopper.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post

Housing will turn around by then and we will see the economy running on all cylinders.
Is this a whee?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You do realize that in 2015, we will all remind you of this prediction?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
See? I just *knew* it would go down.
The DAX and FTSE are maginally lower today at mid day.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
The DAX and FTSE are maginally lower today at mid day.
Well, we shall see. I can hardly wait until the US markets open. Even though I'm pretty much a buy-hold-rebalance type, I still think it's exciting to watch and try to guess what will happen next.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #36

For entertainment purposes I listen to various money mgrs on the radio, two weeks ago all 3 said their market indicators are showing the market will be dropping and they all recommend getting out and buying on the dips. Apparently there were hammer bottoms and this is the start of an ABC or Elliot wave which is causing 200 day moving averages converging on the Fourier transform derivative.
So lets see if I got this right: If I was a client I would have just missed out on a 20% upswing PLUS you are charging 1.5%/year??
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #37

Yup. The internet is forever.

Quote:
You do realize that in 2015, we will all remind you of this prediction?
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Dunno about the Dow prediction, but I have thought for some time that it would take until 2013 to 2015 for housing to work through its mess and the economy to regain full footing.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

As of yesterday the SP500 is up 10.7% for the last 1 year period. About in line with historical annual returns of 10.2% going back to 1950.

We have problems all over, but humans haven't changed that much in the last decade.

I vote for a much higher SP500 in the next 12 months -- well at least 10.2% higher.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
For entertainment purposes I listen to various money mgrs on the radio, two weeks ago all 3 said their market indicators are showing the market will be dropping and they all recommend getting out and buying on the dips.
TJ
Yesterday I was siting ouside on the west side of an espresso shop enjoying the sun. There was a homeless guy sitting at a table next to me with an old fashioned boom box.

He was listening to some market/finance guru.

Ha