Down 13.7%, Cash & CD's - 4 yrs

lem1955

Recycles dryer sheets
My portfolio is down 13.7% since 1/1/20 on paper. I've got the rest of the year in MM inside my tIRA with about $24K buffer that I don't have to spend but could if needed. I have three more years living expenses in CD's and about 8 more years in Vanguard Bond mutual funds. Vanguard told me I was overly cautious to keep so much out of bond mutual funds, but I've slept well all through the bull market and now feel vindicated. Not thinking about any big changes, maybe some small rebalancing. How about you? Have you played the fixed income side that safe, safer, or do you think I'm a scaredy cat?

I'm down 16.3% YTD as of last nights close.... on paper as you say.

Target AA is 65/35, but started the year at 61/39/0 and have drifted down to 52/48/0 as of last night.

I restructured my fixed income portfolio last year. 34 of the 48 is in 5-year CDs with !4 1/2 years remaining that have a weighed average yield of 3.33%, 12 of the 48 are in about 20 investment-grade preferred stocks that yield about 5.73% based on cost and the remainder is in a whole-life policy that I have had since I was 22 that yields about 3%. I'm happy enough with what I have and its minimal interest rate risk that I'm letting it sit for now... actually adding a bit to a 3.5% CD that I recently learned that I can make additional conributions to for a limited time.

If some of my international shares plunge further I may do some tax loss harvesting.

Sold enough to cover 2020 spending in early November. Kicked myself for 3 months for missing some run up, but I'm sleeping well now.
Four years expenses in Treasuries and Agencies. Another four in corporates.

Not looking at down X percent from top.
I didn't buy at the top. Don't check every day so im not sure what my top was. I made my biggest purchase ever the last time I bought (not counting reinvestments) when S&P 500 was 1600 so I'm still up.
Going to the beach for two weeks. If I hit the rebalance when I get back I'll do something then.

Not a big % guy. The raw dollars are what concerns me. Equities are down 275 large while my brokered CD's market value are +40. However the CD value is moot since they're in a ladder providing a 25 year safety net. I can't touch that. However I did peel a fair amount off the equity side since last fall. Sitting in VG Prime MM just waiting to be deployed.

The cash is being used to buy back into VTI/VTSAX a little bit at a time spread evenly over a 25-50% decline. Still it won't be enough to maintain my 40+ equity allocation. At my age the pure $ amounts required keep my urges in check.

Stated elsewhere, my relatively low stock position has been weighted toward Pharma so it's actually up YTD. My stock losses in other areas have been balanced somewhat by PMs. Couldn't put a number on it (just notice market is up almost 10% today). My best SWAG is that I'm even for the year. Honestly, I just don't think too much about it. That's the reason I've been willing to take the long-term 'hit' of not keeping 50 to 60% in stock. The yearly gains are lower but more predictable. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom