Join Early Retirement Today

DQOTD: T-Bills vs Cash Savings?
Old 10-29-2022, 10:59 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DQOTD: T-Bills vs Cash Savings?

With interest on cash accounts around 2% and interest on T-Bills around 4%, I can't think of any good reason to hold much cash at the moment.
  • T-Bills are almost as risk free as cash savings. So almost a wash in terms of safety.
  • T-Bills sacrifice a little liquidity - if you want to realize the face value interest.
  • T-Bills aren't subject to state or local income taxes, cash savings interest is. Both are subject to Fed taxes, might as well earn more interest with T-Bills.
  • T-Bills can be bought with no transactions costs many places.
What am I missing (am I the last to catch on)?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

You are missing nothing. You are not last to catch on. Most of the population still has their cash languishing in accounts under 1%. We haven't seen conditions like this in over a generation, so it is out of mind. Welcome to the party. It still isn't too late.

It won't last forever either.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
With interest on cash accounts around 2% and interest on T-Bills around 4%, I can't think of any good reason to hold much cash at the moment.
  • T-Bills are almost as risk free as cash savings. So almost a wash in terms of safety.
  • T-Bills sacrifice a little liquidity - if you want to realize the face value interest.
  • T-Bills aren't subject to state or local income taxes, cash savings interest is. Both are subject to Fed taxes, might as well earn more interest with T-Bills.
  • T-Bills can be bought with no transactions costs many places.
What am I missing (am I the last to catch on)?
Sounds good to me and you can always stick with the very short term ones if you need cash soon.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 12:43 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We went through some of this in 2016-2018 when Fed was raising rates albeit at a much slower pace than now. CDs eventually caught up and surpassed treasuries, including no-penalty CDs.

FWIW I consider very short-term treasuries same as cash - safe and highly liquid. Short CDs too.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:49 PM   #5

Although I wanted to keep a large cash cushion, I went into a frenzy of buying short term T bills for those reasons. (I am in NY and state tax is a factor for me.)
Old 10-29-2022, 12:53 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

You are far from the last to catch on. I’ve been doing the same with 6-months of cash set up in a ladder with 1-month intervals. It’s a little more work when funds are left over, but it is worth it.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
You are far from the last to catch on. I’ve been doing the same with 6-months of cash set up in a ladder with 1-month intervals. It’s a little more work when funds are left over, but it is worth it.
I also have a T-bill or CD maturing monthly for the next 12 months. As one matures, I roll it into a new one, taking advantage of the rising rates along the way and boosting the return for our cash reserve.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 02:06 PM   #8

Marcus savings account rate was just raised to 2.5% but I certainly wouldn't denigrate buying T-bills.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 02:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Marcus savings account rate was just raised to 2.5% but I certainly wouldn't denigrate buying T-bills.
Ally seems to trail some, but they're up to 2.35% at present. But I'm moving a large chunk of cash into T-Bills at over 4%.

Old 10-29-2022, 02:14 PM   #10

They are very liquid too. I sold $50K for the Ally bonus deal, it cleared the next day.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Ally seems to trail some, but they're up to 2.35% at present. But I'm moving a large chunk of cash into T-Bills at over 4%.
It's really a no-brainer right now when you can get 3.7% on 1-month bills and over 4% for 3 months or longer. Leave an emergency fund in cash and put the rest in short term T bills or brokered CDs. Enjoy it while it lasts.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 02:37 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

T-bills are actually safer than cash in the bank. If the Federal Government ever defaults on t-bills, paper money will have no value.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:48 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
You are missing nothing. You are not last to catch on. Most of the population still has their cash languishing in accounts under 1%. We haven't seen conditions like this in over a generation, so it is out of mind. Welcome to the party. It still isn't too late.

It won't last forever either.

Dito!
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:09 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
It's really a no-brainer right now when you can get 3.7% on 1-month bills and over 4% for 3 months or longer. Leave an emergency fund in cash and put the rest in short term T bills or brokered CDs. Enjoy it while it lasts.
What a difference a year makes. While it won’t last forever, I don’t see us going back to Oct 2021 and the years before anytime soon. I dumped all our bond funds in July and now I’m converting a lot of cash too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E39460B6-07DA-4D0F-86D9-BBB88E3970DD.jpeg (157.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg 7DBF7E02-B242-431E-809A-8A24BBC4C758.jpeg (166.3 KB, 14 views)

Old 10-30-2022, 05:02 AM   #15

The only disadvantage of treasuries I can think of is that if you unexpectedly need the funds before maturity, you may need to sell at a loss.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote