Join Early Retirement Today

Drawdown order for different types of accounts
Old 06-23-2021, 09:40 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Drawdown order for different types of accounts

Is there conventional wisdom that says what order to draw down your different types of savings (taxable, IRA, and ROTH)? I've done some analysis that says to always use up taxable savings first (to defer taxes as much as possible), and Roth last (to let it grow as long as possible). Is this always the best strategy?
tofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the conventional drawdown priority is taxable, tax-deferred and tax-free and IMO it is hard to go wrong with that, especially if it is supplemented by Roth conversions from tax-deferred to tax-free as your tax situation allows at a lower tax cost than later when you are colecting pensions, SS and RMDs.

Another option if taxable is in appreciated equities and retirement is very well funded is to leave taxable alone, withdraw from Roth and then do Roth conversions from tax-deferred as tax situation allows to refill the tax-free. The play is that heirs get a stepped-up basis when you die so a hope that taxes on those unrealized gains never happen (assuming that stepped up basis is still around).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

That's the strategy for early retirees since you can't easily withdraw from tax-deferred before 59-1/2.

But situations vary.

When I retired eight years ago at 63, I had a large tax-deferred account, a modest Roth IRA and essentially zero taxable account.
So all my withdrawals came from tax-deferred.

Nowadays, I still have a good sized tax-deferred 403(b), but a much larger Roth IRA, and a nicely growing taxable account where I stash excess retirement income...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:23 AM   #4
gone traveling

I would say there is no "conventional" wisdom, as so much depends on a person's particular financial situation. How old are you, what types of income do you have, what are the relative sizes of your taxable vs nontaxable accounts, what are your income needs, what unrealized gains exist in taxable accounts that would have to be realized upon withdrawal, what are your intended uses for making a withdrawal, and on and on and on.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:33 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

All of the above. In our situation, we will likely be doing Roth conversions and living off taxable for maximizing ACA benefits and lowering future taxes. Gradually we could use the principle of the Roths to supplement if needed, but not planning to do it.

We are 50 & 56 & need 10+ years of "bridge" monies once we actually start. Waiting for DW's comfort zone to kick in.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:47 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think iorp can provide suggestions:

https://www.i-orp.com/Plans/index.html
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ira, roth, savings, taxes