Join Early Retirement Today

Dreadful Sunday night. How many more?
Old 06-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a colleague that wanted to "optimized" his pension and intended to work another year. He passed away during the Christmas break.

A friend's parents stretched out a few extra years of work life and end up only retired 1 year before one of them had a massive heart attack and now they both can't travel and spend a majority of their time in rehab.

So many people keep stretching their work life probably out of necessity but for me the earlier the better. This forum allow me to dream of ER. And dream is free. :-)

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am not 100% sure what you are asking, but only three more Sunday nights for me before FIRE...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #3

Is it Sunday night? I tend to loose track now-a-days.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Tonight is my 574th consecutive non-dreadful Sunday night.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup, it's Sunday night. Need to remember to take the trash out to the curb. The guys will be around at dawn to pick it up. I'll be sleeping then.

Sometimes I forget -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

One thing I was able to do when working in my part-time years (2001-2008) was to make sure I rarely, if ever, worked on a Monday. This happened only a handful of times and the last one was October 3, 2005, and that was only the 4th Monday I worked in 2005.

But I prefer zero Mondays to 4 Mondays, as I prefer zero xxxdays to >0 xxxdays as has been the case since late 2008.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

335 non-awful Sundays so far, since I retired. If I live to 85, then about 887 more lie ahead for me.

I love Sundays in retirement because usually there is nothing much planned. Today we went out to lunch, stopped by the drive-through pharmacy, and then wandered around on a pleasure drive. Like RobbieB I took the trash out today. Tomorrow morning I will open one eye at 7 when the trash trucks arrive, and then roll over and go back to sleep for a couple of hours longer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:53 PM   #8

I worked Sundays and took Mondays off, so my Sunday nights were always fairly joyous. On top of that, I liked my job, so I guess that makes me ineligible for this thread

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:53 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I am not 100% sure what you are asking, but only three more Sunday nights for me before FIRE...
Congrats!
Old 06-13-2016, 03:59 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

879 enjoyable Sunday nights here!

Business Days Calculator – Count Workdays
Old 06-13-2016, 05:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sunday nights are filled with many anxious moments for me. Wondering how my Monday morning round of golf will go.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:40 AM   #12

in the short time I've been retired, I have developed a new routine on Sunday nights.
I write a list of things I could do in the upcoming week to make me and/or DW (who still works) happy.
The nice thing is there is no deadline. I could knock them all off Monday AM, or not do them at all. But when I get done browsing the internet, etc. I can point myself in that direction. I actually enjoy having the list.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:42 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think the OP was more talking about retiring and enjoying it as soon as you can an not try to optimize the money. My brother died at 68, retired at 66 and could have easily retired at 60. Was never really sick and cancer popped up out of the blue.

Enjoy life while you are able.

But, I could be wrong.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:55 AM   #14

Happy 1st Saturday y'all!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:07 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

This is my 388th non-awful Sunday and every day is Saturday, except for Sunday! If you are anything like me, you would be content with less money and no 'Sunday Night Dread'.
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:24 AM   #16

I hated the commute the last 11 years. I'm up to 481 Monday mornings of not having to do battle with the Bay Area freeway system. And because it's Monday, that's 481 Sunday nights.

Never knew about the number of days calculator, thanks for that. I wonder if the folks in prison look at the same one....
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
I have a colleague that wanted to "optimized" his pension and intended to work another year. He passed away during the Christmas break.

A friend's parents stretched out a few extra years of work life and end up only retired 1 year before one of them had a massive heart attack and now they both can't travel and spend a majority of their time in rehab.

So many people keep stretching their work life probably out of necessity but for me the earlier the better. This forum allow me to dream of ER. And dream is free. :-)

enuff
I agree with Senator... not sure if it is how many Sundays one has had in retirement or how many times someone he knows will pass before reaching retirement.
I was out of grad school for a year when I got a call from my dad that he was going to be forced into retirement at the end of the year. He was 63. A week later I got a call the my dad had a massive heart attack and he had died.

I RE near the end of my 53rd year. I had a pacemaker installed @ 51, but this should not have been a indication of shorter life span (my understanding). While there are many things about work I liked... I still can do many of them without being employed -- that is bound to the parts that cause stress. I need to good parts to keep my mind going. So they are part of my hobbies.

For many it is hard to break from work... questioning.. "do I have enough", "what will I do with my time", "who will I be" (person's identity is tied to work).
I see so many people of facebook (ok .. the same people) posting "ugh... its monday" and I'm just "kewl, MONDAY!!!.. beautiful day"

So however you take "awful sunday" ... in RE we should enjoy most days.

Tomorrow is awful Tuesday -- Second colonoscopy at age 55 for me. Keeping my fingers crossed.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:32 AM   #18

Ah Sunday night, can't wait until Monday to get back into my casual routine. One of the main drivers for my decision to retire was seeing too many friends and co-workers have health problems or bite the dust too early. Been retired going on eleven years and don't regret for a single minute my decision except I could have and should have gone sooner.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #19

My mom retired early by many folks standards - at 62. She was dx'd with ovarian just over a year later, and died 5 years after that after multiple rounds of chemo. My dad and she had to plan their travel around the chemo treatment and her immune system post treatment. (They did get 2 more major trips in... but they wanted more). Quality of life in her retirement was pretty awful.

My dad was able to get 14 years of retirement before he got his cancer dx. He had tickets for a round the world trip with my step mom for 2 weeks after his death. Complications from his cancer treatment.

This was a huge motivator to retire early for me... get some retirement enjoyment in while I'm healthy. I didn't have as much padding in my retirement nest egg as a lot of folks here - but time > money.

In 1 week from today I will have been retired 2 years. No regrets
Old 06-13-2016, 06:45 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Ah Sunday night, can't wait until Monday to get back into my casual routine.
^This x1000. Sunday is quite the happy day for me as I know that MONDAY is right around the corner and since being retired, MONDAY is my favorite day of the week. I will go to the dentist at a most reasonable hour and then go do the week's grocery shopping. I assume like most Mondays, it will be me, a couple of checkers and a manager in the store!

Oh yeah...and the BEST part of Monday? I don't have to deal with THIS CRAP....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (280.3 KB, 36 views)