Join Early Retirement Today

Drop long and short term disability?
Old 07-07-2022, 04:41 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Drop long and short term disability?

It's benefit enrollment time at my state job. I'm currently eligible to retire with medical and a pension. I'm planning to retire June 2023 at the latest unless I see an additional substantial drop in my 403b. Is there any benefit in keeping long and short term disability insurance?
dave65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2022, 04:59 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What is the cost to you?
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
What is the cost to you?

Knew I forgot something -
ST - $20/month
LT - $60/month
Old 07-07-2022, 06:31 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You need to ask yourself if you need the disability income for you or your family should you not be able to work tomorrow due to a stroke or other debilitating health event.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:37 AM   #5

I'm assuming these are annual enrollment/renewals that come with being employed and both would end when you leave in a year? In that case:
Retiring in a year, and the cost is under $1k to keep the insurance until then? I'd keep it.

If these continue post retirement, that's a different question
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:39 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
You need to ask yourself if you need the disability income for you or your family should you not be able to work tomorrow due to a stroke or other debilitating health event.
My brother had LTD from work when he got his stroke. Not only was it a Godsend, they assisted in his getting disability SS...in fact they did it all and paid for the lawyers too. All I had to do was sign some papers.
Of course, it was to their benefit, but still....well worth the small outlay he'd been paying
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:50 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Disability insurance is to cover lost wages. Since you're still working and maybe past mid 2023 (worst case), for the small amount you listed it's probably good to continue as long as you are working.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 01:35 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I will keep it.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I self funded my disability policy and dropped it about two years out from retirement. It saved me about $1000 a year and I was at a point where I had plenty to live on so getting the extra payments, if or when something happened would not have mattered.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote