Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
On the other hand, in my seventy plus years of living dangerously, I have never been sued. Three kids, a wife, multiple cars, and now a pile of assets, and no lawsuits.
Yep, and I've never died yet either, but both could happen and if either happens, it will be TERRIBLE
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yep, and I've never died yet either, but both could happen and if either happens, it will be TERRIBLE
But if you die first, any umbrella policy premiums paid were wasted!
Old 05-14-2021, 10:40 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But if you die first, any umbrella policy premiums paid were wasted!
Hey, I think I know a way to save on house insurance too
Old 05-14-2021, 10:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Hey, I think I know a way to save on house insurance too
Yes, that too. But do be sure your life insurance is paid and in place!
Old 05-15-2021, 06:36 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, that too. But do be sure your life insurance is paid and in place!
Why? I've lived dangerously for nearly 60 years and have never used it!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:01 AM   #26

Umbrella - is something I pay for that I hope will never be used.

With less vehicles; and less sons driving; you may be able to get a very good deal on your umbrella. If you use a broker, have her/him give you different options to get the best coverage for the lowest prices.

You hire someone to clean your gutters, his ladder goes into a divot on your property, he takes a bad fall . . .

You clip a kid on a bike with your car, he sustains injuries which require life-time care . . .

Certain income can be garnished if a judgment cannot be satisfied out of assets . . .
Old 05-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Umbrella - is something I pay for that I hope will never be used.

With less vehicles; and less sons driving; you may be able to get a very good deal on your umbrella. If you use a broker, have her/him give you different options to get the best coverage for the lowest prices.

You hire someone to clean your gutters, his ladder goes into a divot on your property, he takes a bad fall . . .

You clip a kid on a bike with your car, he sustains injuries which require life-time care . . .

Certain income can be garnished if a judgment cannot be satisfied out of assets . . .
Won't anyone facing wage garnishment file bankruptcy to discharge the remainder of the judgment not satisfied from their non-exempt assets?
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Won't anyone facing wage garnishment file bankruptcy to discharge the remainder of the judgment not satisfied from their non-exempt assets?

Bankruptcy doesn’t necessarily discharge judgments against you. If you have certain kinds of income, a judge can still garnish that income.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Umbrella policies are typically written to exclude volunteer commitments- when I was on the B of D of my professional society the agent told me that any Board activities would not be covered.

I agree on keeping the coverage, though. I'm widowed, no teenage drivers, no Rottweilers, no swimming pool but I have assets to protect. Another scenario: I loan my car to someone who carries minimum limits and they injure someone in a wreck. Lawyers are always looking for deeper pockets and I could be accused of having negligently entrusted my car to the person who caused the accident.
Its more likely here that your actions as Director, as opposed to simply participating as a volunteer were the rationale behind your agent's advice. Directors & Officers liability is only ever covered by a D&O policy.
Aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I was under the impression that it was cheaper to go with an umbrella policy than try to duplicate the coverage by increasing HO and auto coverage.
This was my thinking, too.

Of course, a specific analysis of the OP's situation would answer the question of whether keeping the UMB coverage was cheaper than jacking up the limits in the other policies.

And the UMB is not policy specific, so it has that advantage over two individual, and possibly unequal underlying policy limits.
Aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:44 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
This was my thinking, too.

Of course, a specific analysis of the OP's situation would answer the question of whether keeping the UMB coverage was cheaper than jacking up the limits in the other policies.

And the UMB is not policy specific, so it has that advantage over two individual, and possibly unequal underlying policy limits.

We have different underlying coverages. Our primary home, two townhomes our sons live in with their families, and our auto policies are all $1M. A beach house (part time rental) and a Florida condo are both $500k. We could be as low as $300k on all of them. We just changed our umbrella company back to USAA since they’ll now take the risk of the short term rental that they wouldn’t before. Our previous umbrella policy required a $1M underlying coverage.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Bankruptcy doesn’t necessarily discharge judgments against you.If you have certain kinds of income, a judge can still garnish that income.
Annuity?

I was think more of typical income sources...e.g wages, pension, etc.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No idea,

But if a person files bankruptcy to discharge claims, aren't they pretty poor at that point
Old 05-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #34

Quote:
No idea,

But if a person files bankruptcy to discharge claims, aren't they pretty poor at that point
Could still have 7+ figures in a 401k...but also want to avoid having their wages garnished going forward.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:31 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Annuity?

I was think more of typical income sources...e.g wages, pension, etc.

Bankruptcy often has the judge structure payments if the person has any ordinary income. ERISA protects retirement accounts, but if you have a paycheck it can be garnished, as can annuities not funded with retirement accounts.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
I am considering dropping my $1M Umbrella Liability Coverage as I consider my risk factors are substantially reduced recently.
I'm pissed off at GEICO for jacking up the renewal rate for my $2M umbrella by 25%. I've probably been thrown into a risk pool where I don't belong (which is the same problem I have with the [A]CA).

Right now, I'm leaning toward whining on social media (this post) and renewing the policy.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:48 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
I'm pissed off at GEICO for jacking up the renewal rate for my $2M umbrella by 25%. I've probably been thrown into a risk pool where I don't belong (which is the same problem I have with the [A]CA).

Right now, I'm leaning toward whining on social media (this post) and renewing the policy.

Try shopping around.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:59 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Try shopping around.
It's a little messier than that. You really want your auto homeowners and umbrella with the same insurer so coverage is "seamless" (what the underlying policies cover, the umbrella does, too, unless specifically excluded) and if the worst happens you'll have the team of a single insurer on your side, instead of the primary, which doesn't care how high your settlement goes beyond their limits, and the umbrella carrier.

So now you have to shop the whole package.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
It's a little messier than that. You really want your auto homeowners and umbrella with the same insurer so coverage is "seamless" (what the underlying policies cover, the umbrella does, too, unless specifically excluded) and if the worst happens you'll have the team of a single insurer on your side, instead of the primary, which doesn't care how high your settlement goes beyond their limits, and the umbrella carrier.

So now you have to shop the whole package.
I work with primary and excess carriers. Usually the same carrier; sometimes different. It's not the primary who doesn't care how high it goes; it's the excess who, if there is exposure to their layer, comes down on primary like a ton of bricks. With different carriers, they are willing to spend every penny of primary's policy if it saves them money. It can actually help settle a case.

With the same carrier, there are typically two files set up with the primary doing most of the hands on and excess monitoring. Sometimes excess is sleeping so loudly you can hear the snores coming out of the computer. Once there is potential exposure to their layer and/or the raising of reserves, excess takes over - basically giving instructions to primary, and making them pay for defense costs. It is less adversarial.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:16 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I am surprised they did not require the max coverage on the house and car before you got an umbrella...

I am probably going to be getting me one soon... my oldest sister is going to get one when she moves insurance companies next week...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote