Join Early Retirement Today

Dumb question about financial shows on TV/radio
Old 03-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Dumb question about financial shows on TV/radio

I've been marketing "The Military Guide" over the Web, of course, and I'm starting to reach out to the magazines & newspapers. I think I've identified the usual suspects publications and it's a matter of the publisher sending out the press releases with me following up. No problem.

As the pallets leave the warehouse I'll be sending out more review copies to military transition programs. I'm going to start with my home stomping grounds of Pearl Harbor, and whatever lessons I learn there will be extended to other bases, military exchanges, and possibly state VA offices on the island. Depending on how that goes, I've been contemplating a book tour this fall or next spring to the nation's largest 10 military bases. (Pearl Harbor/Hickam, Fort Hood, Norfolk, Fort Bragg, Camp Lejeune, Fort Campbell, Fort Lewis, Jacksonville/Pensacola, San Diego, Bremerton.) Seems pretty straightforward too.

However this week I was asked about marketing the book on TV & radio shows. That stopped me cold. I don't watch much TV and I never even listen to classic-rock FM radio anymore, let alone talk radio.

I thought of Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey, of course, but she never shares her set and I don't think he'll be much fun in a discussion of whether or not to pay off the mortgage. Clark Howard might be an option but I've only listened to one of his shows and I don't know how he feels about military finances. I have no clue who'd want to help me flog a military-finance book in their studio.

I'm comfortable talking to a crowd or one-on-one. I spent eight years at Navy training commands in front of classes from E-4s to O-8s, and I briefed VIPs for a couple years at a staff job. (And this time I've had nearly a decade to learn the material!) I just have no idea what microphones to reach out for. AFRTS?!?

Any other ideas? Where do you go for your financial TV & radio?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That's a tough question. As you pointed out, most of the financial shows do not review financial books.

How about late night talk shows? They sometimes have authors on and review their books. I guess Leno would be a bit of a stretch, but maybe one of the late-late-late-late night talk shows?

I would think that your publisher might have a better idea of what would be effective, than we would. After all, they have an interest in getting the book properly promoted and distributed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I would think that your publisher might have a better idea of what would be effective, than we would. After all, they have an interest in getting the book properly promoted and distributed.
I'd think that too, but much of today's book marketing has fallen on the shoulders of the authors-- especially the newbs who don't share their royalties with agents & PR flacks.

I'm a tad skeptical that any TV or radio show would be interested in a niche market, no matter how late at night or how desperate they are charming I can be. But my credibility is suspect.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you should give Suze Orman a stab. SOmetimes she will have a segment with a military family, and while she might not put you on directly she might mention your book as a good resource for people. She has done that with certain targeted resources providing information about scholarships and financial aid for college, for example. Even a hat tip in that direction might send a LOT of potential buyers to your website.

Maybe Oprah, too? Who knows. She has done stuff about military families before. Worth a shot.

lhamo
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not a radio/TV source of visibility, you could see if the Bogleheads board will add your book to their list of recommend reading.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bob Brinker?

I would think there would be a local financial talk radio show on Hawaiian news/talk radio stations. In my market they're on the AM stations on Saturday mornings...

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

If not television or radio, are there any military finance/family matters podcasts? I think the book would be especially interesting to married servicemembers; toss finances in as the number one or two reason for divorce on top of the everyday stresses of a military marriage, it seems like someone would want to push this book in their direction.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Its web related but gets a lot of readership thanks to MSN. The site is thesimpledollar.com and the author does book reviews which might lead to something.

Dave Ramsey does recommend books and has a list on his website also. He might just be interested as he is really big on giving and your plans for the proceeds are just what he would like.

Good luck and best wishes for a great project.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #9

What about local morning shows where military are a large portion of the market? I'd think they'd be more interested -but unless you are willing to travel a lot - may be more worthwhile trying to get articles published in those markets in the local papers, and or radio they can do over the phone. I don't think just targeting financial focused shows/papers works since you want to catch that random chap who may not yet be plugged in?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
What about local morning shows where military are a large portion of the market? I'd think they'd be more interested -but unless you are willing to travel a lot - may be more worthwhile trying to get articles published in those markets in the local papers, and or radio they can do over the phone. I don't think just targeting financial focused shows/papers works since you want to catch that random chap who may not yet be plugged in?

+1.... I was going to say morning shows.... they seem to take anybody...

(and no, that is not a slam on you Nords....)
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Nords... the marketing of your book is probably going to take a multi-pronged approach.

I see you have a blog.... have you set up a face book page? Your web base marketing approach may be more critical than traditional media.

Also, if you do feel comfortable presenting on the topic.... consider some short youtube videos (ticklers) on key subject areas. Cross link all of this between the Facebook page, Youtube Vids, publisher, blog, Amazon, etc...

You should setup your blog to show up in google and bing at the top of a search. Do some research... it can be done.

Morning Radio or Radio Talk shows might be easier. It can be done by a call in. They are often looking for topics to pitch while people drive to work in the morning...

Consider donating 1 book to libraries (hard cover... not ebook) in large metro areas. If it is checked out... people will likely buy the ebook version (not wait).
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

There might be morning public radio stations near major bases that have talk shows that feature authors. The Diane Rehm (sp?) show out of DC regularly features authors although I don't know whether something as focused narrow as military retirement would appeal to her. If it did, she would be great -- wide audience and in depth interviews.

Edit: Of course, you shouldn't forget the best book plugging show on the planet -- The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Old 03-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Ric Edelman does a morning show on personal finance that's on in multiple cities. He's runs a huge financial planning firm based in Fairfax, VA (just outside of DC) so I believe he may be interested given the heavy concerntration of military folks around here.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #14
Administrator

USAA publishes a monthly magazine where they highlight their services but also include useful advice. Perhaps they would be interested.

Consuelo Mack WealthTrack has a weekly interview but also sends out a "newsletter" that points to her intended interview but includes a blurb that is often unrelated but advice oriented.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

In addition to ric edelman, I see as I am flipping through cable channels that there is an entire military channel that might be woth looking into. I would also see if CNBC, Bloomberg TV and Fox Business (hah!) would be interested in doing brief clips. CNBC in particular caters to people with the attention span of a rabbit on meth, so they are always hungry for people willing to do brief on the air pieces.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
there is an entire military channel
This comment by brewer got me thinking...any military radio stations on bases overseas? They may not like the idea of you telling folks how they can retire early though
Old 03-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Merriman has "Sound Investing" pod casts with guests
FundAdvice.com - Sound Investing

I see at Bogleheads there are a number of authors who post. They also write blogs. In the blogs they review each others' books and say nice things about each other. I would think that sending the book to each of these authors and asking them to write reviews on their blogs would be in order. Of course, you have to have a blog and write a positive review of their book(s) in return.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #18
Administrator

Bloomberg Radio as well. Tom Keene has a daily program called Bloomberg Surveillance.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #19

Clark Howard does address military families often. He's even done full shows at military bases.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

I would think there would be a local financial talk radio show on Hawaiian news/talk radio stations. In my market they're on the AM stations on Saturday mornings...

2Cor521
I like this idea, applied to each of the radio markets you plan to visit. Thinking of Ft. Hood and googling "killeen radio stations", I found a listing of all of the AM and FM stations in the market.

KTEM is an AM talk radio station that runs Rush and ESPN all week, but on Saturday mornings they have a two-hour, locally-produced show on personal finance:

Radio Show « The Personal Wealth Coach

A call-in interview on the Saturday before your book tour visit would seem to be a slam-dunk for both you and the radio show. (Although I see the hosts run a fee-based investment business - this might need a closer look.)

Repeat by market...
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote