Join Early Retirement Today

Dumb question on spouse's Roth IRA contribution
Old 01-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Dumb question on spouse's Roth IRA contribution

Is a payment received via a 1099-MISC considered earned income for a Roth IRA contribution? I know that I'm asking a very basic income question, but I've tripped up before by trying to apply logic to IRS documents.

Spouse has gotten herself involved with a 501(c)3 organization that's going to pay her as much as $750 during 2008. They collected a W-9 from her so I know from my own treasurer's stint at a non-profit that they'll issue a 1099-MISC. Since the income's being reported to the IRS I might as well stick it in a Roth IRA.

I'm basing this conclusion on page 60 of Pub 590 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590.pdf) which says: "Compensation includes wages, salaries, tips, professional fees, bonuses, and other amounts received for providing personal services. It also includes commissions, self-employment income, and taxable alimony and separate maintenance payments." The $750 most closely matches the "professional fee" category for her efforts.

She puts the vast majority of her Reserve pay in her TSP so her W-2 income won't be much more than the 1099-MISC. She'll be well under the Roth contribution limits and our income won't be high enough to trigger any other limits.

Am I missing any other requirements or references?

We already tried to have the non-profit treat the money as an expense reimbursement or to have them pay her less than the 1099 limit of $600. The answer was "Sorry, this is how we do it." Not a very encouraging start.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not a tax pro, but as far as I know, you can fund a Roth IRA as long as you have earned income that equals the amount of the contribution.

The only caveat is that a 1099 Misc means you have to figure it as a gross amount, and pay taxes on it. Roths are after-tax contributions, so if the $750 is before tax, and ALL you do is exactly the $750, it may not look right. Not that they track things all that close.

Run it through Turbo tax and see what the program says, maybe........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ira