Join Early Retirement Today

Dump the WSJ?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dump the WSJ?

I've subscribed to the Wall St Journal for around 35 years straight. Just got a renewal notice for 2 years at $426. Seems outrageous given the info now available on the web for free. I never liked their editorial stuff anyway which is too severely slanted to the right. They don't even seem to try to balance it out. Their investment advice is sort of nonexistent. Jonathan Clements left just recently. The Saturday edition seems to be full of discussions of $40/bottle wine and other high priced stuff. Not my philosophy which is more LBYM. My Economist subscription covers the international stuff better and has more thoughtful economic focus. Seems all the WSJ can do is talk about M&A deals and the Ahead-of-the-tape column is a joke. Am I missing something here?

So what sources of financial info do others use? On the web I like Bogleheads, our ER forum, NY Times, Morningstar. Any other suggestions? It will be a relief not to have to plow through 2 papers every day. Nice to vent about this !!!
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I really like the WSJ and enjoy reading it when they offer me a free subscription.

But when I look at the cost of a regular subscription, my value meter always says "NO!"

I read a little of this or that on a lot of sites. I think maybe that gives you more of a balanced approach with the benefits of immediate feedback...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I think you have answered your own question! That is a lot of money to spend, especially if you aren't getting the kinds of articles you want to read.

It sounds to me like you have a good handle on sources for information, and if you read all of those you listed that should keep you busy!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rumor has it that Murdoch wants the WSJ to look more like USA Today. USA Today is cheaper
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If you just want a cheaper rate,

https://services.wsj.com/Gryphon/jsp...r.jsp?page=375

Or if you have frequent flier miles to burn:

230 issues of Wall St Journal for ONLY 1700 FF Miles (DELTA, CO, AA, , NW)
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I used to subscribe to them... but that was in 1999... I suspended my sub when I went overseas for a bit... seems they could not transfer the sub to the UK...

then when I came back... they did not want to deliver to my door for some reason.... I wanted to read it on the bus.... heck I still have about 3 or 4 months on my sub way back when....

I would get a 'free' copy for awhile... slightly used (or not)... we had the cleaning crew 'deliver' a copy to us from one of the law firms in our building... you can do that is you manage the crew...

I read the internet... I have thought about getting something so I can read it when I go to lunch or am sitting around... like that Amazon thingy... but just have not wanted to blow the cash....

SOOO, started to read some books again....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:55 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I subscribe online to the WSJ. When it first started I believe it was $60 now the price is $100 and next year is is $120/year. So this will be my last year, I am hoping to do the cancel trick and which generally results in a lower price.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:09 AM   #8

I think I saw a chart somewhere comparing article content pre-/post-Murdoch. Decline in pure business/economics articles; rise in politics and 'lifestyle'.

You might consider the Financial Times.. they have quite a lot for free (w/registration).
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:54 AM   #9
Administrator

For the reasons you cite, I will likely not renew my WSJ subscription when it expires this year. I may subscribe to FT online.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:07 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interesting timing, I just canceled my online subscription last week.

clifp - you are right, they countered with a $99 offer when I canceled. (they had re-upped me at $119) I declined their offer.

In my case I read the NYT and FT in paper version every day, professionally I much prefer the FT to the WSJ, it covers fixed income and derivatives markets much, much better than the WSJ. Also, I know Murdoch will take it further down market so it felt good to cancel and give that as my reason.

If my leave of absence turns into ER, which is likely, I won't re-up my FT subscription when it lapses in a year or so. I agree there's too much info on the web to be paying several hundred a year for one of these papers, at least if you are a retired passive index investor.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I used to read it at work but haven't missed it now that I'm retired. Too much free stuff on the web. I have thought about dropping by the library to read it but haven't had a big enough urge to do so.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #12

Bloomberg site is also good for basic finance headlines and such.
http://www.bloomberg.com
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #13

Just got a renewal for the Houston Chronicle, $177 for one year. Their Business section is 4 pages long on average, with 20 to 30% of that advertisement. WSJ for $426 for two years does not seem that out of place.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rustic, interesting you mention the ads in the business section of the Chronicle. This month the SA Express-News began running 1/16 page ads on the front page. I'd love to stop our $175-a-year subscription but a lifetime habit is hard to break.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #15

If you don't mind answering surveys e-Rewards will pay for your subscription.

You could also go online only which I think costs me $100 a year.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Heck, if you just want to read the WSJ you can follow this article's advice:
Free Access to Wall Street Journal and Other Subscription Sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I used to read it at work but haven't missed it now that I'm retired. Too much free stuff on the web. I have thought about dropping by the library to read it but haven't had a big enough urge to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Rustic, interesting you mention the ads in the business section of the Chronicle. This month the SA Express-News began running 1/16 page ads on the front page. I'd love to stop our $175-a-year subscription but a lifetime habit is hard to break.
What Dawg said. Maybe you could tell Express-News that you're going on vacation for a month or two and then see if you can make the shift to the website (or some other local paper's website). Of course if SA Express News could also deliver your U.S. mail then I'd understand paying for the subscription.

For the last couple years of our local paper's subscription we got better coupons in other places. The classified ads have been replaced by Craigslist. I no longer have to wash my hands, recycle newspring, listen to the delivery thunk into the garage door at 4 AM, or hear the delivery driver practicing his best NASCAR/drifting spins in our cul-de-sac. We get three different free weekly fish-wrappers in our mailbox with neighborhood news and even they're hardly worth more than a glance.

It takes me mere minutes to scan our local paper's website. In the time it took me to handle the printed paper I can also go through Business Week's website (we cancelled our 25-year print subscription a few months ago), Scientific American (why do we still subscribe?), Pacific Business News, and Reuters.

Then instead of pestering my spouse with "Hey, honey, look at this!" and having her politely pretend to be interested, I can e-mail her a link and let her read it at her convenience-- if she even cares to read it at all.

I'm finding U.S. Naval Institute PROCEEDINGS print articles on Military.com, and spouse's days of reading "The Naval Reservist" are just about done. In another five years our only print subscriptions might be Family Handyman and the alumni magazine.

Oh, and Highline Media's "Wealth Management" rag. I can't help laughing at how the financial managers view us sheeple customers.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Just got a renewal for the Houston Chronicle, $177 for one year. Their Business section is 4 pages long on average, with 20 to 30% of that advertisement. WSJ for $426 for two years does not seem that out of place.
Interesting... I was thinking of subscribing so I can have something to read when I go to lunch.... but that is a bit more than I want...

I read a number of articles on Chron.com... I have never seen one in the paper that is not on the website... in fact I got it open in another window... reading a few articles
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:50 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Let my WSJ subscription go many years ago, in fact don't take any newspapers whatsoever any more (cost and environment). Have let most of my magazine subscriptions go to (same reasons). Read what I want at the library, get my financial info from the internet, whatever I need whenever I want it for "free." Only read I can't let go of is The Economist, just feel that it keeps me current on the world like no other source. My 2¢...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:55 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hear you, Midpack. The Economist would be the last paper publication I'd part with. And my wife will take her New Yorker subscription to her grave.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to this board, I just canceled my WSJ online subscription of long standing. There's just too much available online for free to merit $119 per year. Would you believe my subscription was set to renew tomorrow?

By the way, the 'cancel' phone option is closed on the weekends - how nice! So, I went through the 'start new subscription' phone menu to get to a live person. Got NO PUSHBACK for canceling--guess they are too busy trying to keep the newspaper alive to worry about a 15+ year customer...I've had better salespersons (freshmen!) calling from my undergraduate/graduate schools looking for more donations--and a bunch of those recently.

- plsprius
plsprius is offline   Reply With Quote