DW will get SS Survivor benefits ?

rkser

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am waiting till age 70 to claim my SS benefits & one of the reasons for waiting is DW to get my higher SS benefits I will draw at 70.

Open Social Security has suggested for me(higher earner) to draw my benefit at age 70 & DW to draw her own SS benefit at age 62.

I am 66 & have reached the FRA & DW is 61.

Supposing I pass away before her because of the higher age & being a male &
she does not wait till her FRA of age 67, how will she draw her Survivor benefit equal to my benefit of age 70.

Will her SS benefit switch to the survivor benefit as that will be higher than her own benefit.

I know I may be over thinking this and into the future, but I am waiting till age 70 for a higher survivor benefit for my DW.

Any thoughts………

If you haven't started SS before you die, there are 2 scenarios for your amount. If you are not FRA, your DW can get your FRA at her FRA. If you die after your FRA, then she gets the amount at your delayed benefits at your age, at her FRA. So if you are 69 and have not started, she will need to wait for her FRA to get your benefits at 69.

She can draw on her benefits at whatever her age and has no bearing on her survivor benefits as long as she only draws on survivor benefits at her FRA. If she draws on survivor benefits before her FRA, her benefits will be reduced.

So I understand that she can draw her own SS benefits at age 62 as planned & can switch to the higher Survivor benefits at age 67.

Thanks for the clarification

So I understand that she can draw her own SS benefits at age 62 as planned & can switch to the higher Survivor benefits at age 67.

Thanks for the clarification

You actual question was what happens when you die?

Are you now asking about a situation where you both are still living?Because that's different.

You actual question was what happens when you die?

Are you now asking about a situation where you both are still living?Because that's different.

OP go back and reread the thread about this subject that you started on March 1...you got some good answers on this very subject there.

Last edited:
Editorial: Between SS and Medicare, it sometimes all seems so incredibly complicated with serious consequences if one chooses incorrectly.

What a cruel joke to play on old people!

YMMV.

Editorial: Between SS and Medicare, it sometimes all seems so incredibly complicated with serious consequences if one chooses incorrectly.
I've learned in the past several years that Social Security is a complex program. Benefit cuts due to pensions from jobs not covered by Social Security and survivor benefits are among the most complicated elements.

Back
Top Bottom