Join Early Retirement Today

Early Retiree (#21 SA Spurs) is $24M short
Old 06-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Early Retiree (#21 SA Spurs) is $24M short

Tim Duncan (#21) finally gets his day in court. Judge suggests an alternate investment scheme.

Quote:
“In good-old 20/20 hindsight, if Mr. Duncan had taken the $24 million and bought a government bond at 2 or 3 percent interest, he’d still have the $24 million and...he’d be making about $500,000 a year,” Biery noted. “There is a lot to be made for simple (investing), and that is my recommendation.”
Tim Duncan confronts ex-financial adviser - San Antonio Express-News

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Just curious.....I wonder what Duncan is worth after the loss? A $24 mil loss is tough to swallow even if you're a billionaire.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Tim Duncan (#21) finally gets his day in court. Judge suggests an alternate investment scheme.

Tim Duncan confronts ex-financial adviser - San Antonio Express-News
I had not heard of this case before, just another example of a athlete getting taken. I occasionally seek financial advice and might even be willing to pay for it. But I would never give someone else access to my funds or the power to transact on them. Give me the advice and if I choose, I will take the actions myself.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Just curious.....I wonder what Duncan is worth after the loss? A $24 mil loss is tough to swallow even if you're a billionaire.
Various places have reported his net worth between $130 and $180 million. Also, from the article, me may not have lost the entire $24 million as it was claimed he received interest payments of 12% on that amount for several years.

So close to 18% (worst case) of his net worth is certainly a wound, but not fatal. He never seemed to live an extravagant life. But his divorce (which actually uncovered this situation) will certainly cost him more.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interestingly I just saw an article about Clinton Portis and his losses:

Clinton Portis contemplated murder after fortune lost
Old 06-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #6

Lol. The article after the Clinton Portis article is about pro athletes wasting money on cars. Unbelievable waste... and I am a car guy. This car dealer is like an advisor to them telling them to buy less cars. One highlight: "In less than five years, Ramirez has had 32 cars customized at Vega's shop, The Auto Firm."

When stars want cars, they call Miami's Alex Vega
Old 06-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I always liked Tim Duncan...he was a stand up guy when he played in San Antonio. I can only imagine how great of a mentor he was to some of those younger kids that were coming up with fame and fortune. He is probably one of the most humble professional athletes to walk the earth...

From the article:

Quote:
In a separate four-page statement, Duncan said he never wanted to see his name in the papers again after his 19-year NBA career ended, taking pride in being a private individual who spent time in the spotlight only because he had to, to make a living that would last him for the rest of his life.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes, this is really a bummer for someone who's earning days are over. No way to recoup the losses. Unfortunately, this is not an unusual situation. It happened to me on a much smaller scale (including fraud.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:33 AM   #9

Like I tell the kids, "always rent, never buy," toys like RVs/boats/planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Lol. The article after the Clinton Portis article is about pro athletes wasting money on cars. Unbelievable waste... and I am a car guy. This car dealer is like an advisor to them telling them to buy less cars. One highlight: "In less than five years, Ramirez has had 32 cars customized at Vega's shop, The Auto Firm."

When stars want cars, they call Miami's Alex Vega
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Interestingly I just saw an article about Clinton Portis and his losses:

Clinton Portis contemplated murder after fortune lost
Not nearly as big a loss, but a guy I supervised bragged to me years ago that he was going to retire early (before me) 'cause his FA told him he could spend 8% of his stash. The FA was writing covered calls with the guys money. When it all came crashing down a year or so later, the guy needed to go find w*rk just to survive. He's still doing piddly work (repositioning cars, etc.) 15 years later at age 69. The FA had done the same thing to another guy at Megacorp and the two of them crashed and burned at about the same time. IIRC at least one of them sued the FA, but I don't think the suit went anyplace. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:35 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Not nearly as big a loss, but a guy I supervised bragged to me years ago that he was going to retire early (before me) 'cause his FA told him he could spend 8% of his stash. The FA was writing covered calls with the guys money. When it all came crashing down a year or so later, the guy needed to go find w*rk just to survive. He's still doing piddly work (repositioning cars, etc.) 15 years later at age 69. The FA had done the same thing to another guy at Megacorp and the two of them crashed and burned at about the same time. IIRC at least one of them sued the FA, but I don't think the suit went anyplace. YMMV
Sounds like a fella I used to fly with. He would hold 'classes' on trading futures and folks were chomping at the bit to get involved. A group of 12 or so would meet every Saturday morning to discuss methods and how great everyone was doing with paper trades. Once some of them started trading actually money (and lost their ass!) there was a lot of animosity towards the guy. About the time I left, he was starting to pool other's money that he would trade...I told him that he was treading a fine line with the law, but he didn't seem to care...he was going to retire within a year with all the money he was making. Last I heard, he had filed for bankruptcy and moved into a run down single wide trailer. And oh yeah, he's still wo*king...
Old 07-02-2017, 05:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Various places have reported his net worth between $130 and $180 million

I see that Steph Curry reupped for $201M (5 years) recently. Wonder who his FA is?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote