Join Early Retirement Today

Early retirement discussion on Newseek.com
Old 09-18-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Early retirement discussion on Newseek.com

Jane Bryant Quinn is going to be doing a live open discussion on ER on Newsweek.com tomorrow (Wednesday) at 2:30 p.m. ET. Thought some here may be interested. She typically gives good, if somewhat simplistic and generic, advice. She had a column in the Newsweek that came out today. She did say (and know many here would disagree, including myself) to "run, not walk, to a financial planner" to figure out the viability of ER and make it work. She did say to look for fee-only planners andnnot those who work on a commission and hawk expensive products.

She did say that it is too late to start saving at 50.

She said that "a common mistake is to look at retirement in a five-year time frame without planning any further" (I find this hard to believe---most people intend to live longer than five years after they retire, especially if they retire at what she says is the average age: 57). According to her, costs go up as people get older: "it's in your later years that the effects of inflation, rising medical costs or poor investment decisions kick in."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Jane Bryant Quinn

She had a column in the Newsweek that came out today. She did say (and know many here would disagree, including myself) to "run, not walk, to a financial planner" to figure out the viability of ER and make it work. She did say to look for fee-only planners andnnot those who work on a commission and hawk expensive products.

"
Her intended target for this message was probably those who have not taken FI seriously; do not have a clue on how to start; and will not do anything without someone holding their hand. IMHO, she is more realistic than the majority of the column writers.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Her intended target for this message was probably those who have not taken FI seriously; do not have a clue on how to start; and will not do anything without someone holding their hand. IMHO, she is more realistic than the majority of the column writers.
Well, they're the only ones who would undergo a religious epiphany and rush out to buy her latest book. If not for them, her only book sales would be to libraries...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:26 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup... when a journalist is the provider of sage advice... it is usually to the equivalent of 1st and 2nd graders (in a financial sense). They for the most part just restate basic facts that can be found in hundreds (thousands) of other periodicals and books.

She has a nice delivery... but for newbies that need something watered down.

For that matter, I am not sure she in not just the public mouth piece that delivers the message... there could be others behind the scene writing the words!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Jane Bryant Quinn is going to be doing a live open discussion on ER on Newsweek.com tomorrow (Wednesday) at 2:30 p.m. ET. Thought some here may be interested. She typically gives good, if somewhat simplistic and generic, advice. She had a column in the Newsweek that came out today. She did say (and know many here would disagree, including myself) to "run, not walk, to a financial planner" to figure out the viability of ER and make it work. She did say to look for fee-only planners andnnot those who work on a commission and hawk expensive products.
No offense, she is a hack, but better than Suze Orman

Quote:
She did say that it is too late to start saving at 50.
I disagree, there are some on this board that did exactly that and made it work.......

Quote:
She said that "a common mistake is to look at retirement in a five-year time frame without planning any further" (I find this hard to believe---most people intend to live longer than five years after they retire, especially if they retire at what she says is the average age: 57). According to her, costs go up as people get older: "it's in your later years that the effects of inflation, rising medical costs or poor investment decisions kick in."
That last paragraph proves my original point, she's trying to sell books like Suze Orman...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote