Join Early Retirement Today

Early Retirement Extreme
Old 06-26-2022, 02:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Early Retirement Extreme

Curious if anyone here previously, currently, or in the future plans to use the ERE (Early Retirement Extreme) philosophy/principles/guidelines as discussed here: http://earlyretirementextreme.com? I can't image living off $7,000 a year but I do recognize that I could cut out a lot of things if I had too.
RetiredAt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 02:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Way too extreme for me. Plus I need more creature comforts and not less as I age).
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #3

Isn't this the guy who was living what he preached until he was offered a big-bucks job as a quant analyst and unretired? I guess he re-retired?

What he talks about is a bit too extreme for me, but I appreciate a lot of his philosophy on living with less by repurposing, DIY, keeping consumerism under control. That's a good idea for the planet.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I have a fairly high NW yet I mow my own lawn, clean my own house, repair everything I can (thanks to YouTube), etc. but not sure I could live that extreme.
RetiredAt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:44 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt49 View Post
My wife and I have a fairly high NW yet I mow my own lawn, clean my own house, repair everything I can (thanks to YouTube), etc. but not sure I could live that extreme.
Same here, mow my lawn and maintain or clean my house and vehicles. Being able to fix things myself saves time and money. But DW and me also enjoy having freedom to spend on things we like or want to. So my budget is a lot higher than Mr Extreme. But also far from what many spend. Having a nice house, big detached garage with a big yard in the country is certainly more costly than a small apartment. That small apartment would drive me crazy.

Why sacrifice to the extreme budget level if it's not required? To me FI means able to live how I want at the standard I want. My hobby is old cars, not cheap although doing work myself I have never lost money. So it's money spent, that can be recovered if you consider financially.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I didnt read it, but considering taxes in NJ are higher than $7k, id be betting hes not doing it here.
madatrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:02 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Isn't this the guy who was living what he preached until he was offered a big-bucks job as a quant analyst and unretired? I guess he re-retired?
That's the guy. Although I'm not sure he ever lived what he preached.

I think it was discovered at one point that while he was retired, his wife was not. Really called into question just how "extreme" his household expense budget was compared to his claims.

A search on the forum will return several threads, including posts from Jacob, the ERE guy himself.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:06 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

His book got me started on the FIRE idea. I moved on to MMM and then found this group which is more my speed.
rdy4er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:10 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

It would be tough, but I think I could squeak by, for the first month.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:12 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Also too extreme for me. First, I actually liked my work and it occasionally paid for travel to some pretty sweet places. Second, DH was 15 years older. I wanted to enjoy some of the $$ along the way.

Fortunately, we agreed on so many things. Rarely ate out, bought used cars, didn't hire out stuff we could DIY (mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, minor repairs). Spent little on clothing other than my business wardrobe. No credit card debt. Ah, but we traveled. We were careful and points from my business travel helped, but we stayed in decent hotels and had some good excursions. Dinner was usually something from local markets enjoyed in the room with a bottle of wine.

I also chose to send DS to a military boarding school for HS when he was falling through the cracks in the public school system and paid for his college. When I was fretting over the cost of HS and what it would do to my retirement, DH, who was then close to being my fiance, said, "How are you going to feel if you have a comfortable retirement but DS never finds a direction and you wonder if you could have done more?" DH was a smart man. I'm very proud of what DS accomplished after he straightened up.

Sometimes you gotta let loose the purse strings and enjoy life.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:19 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I found the forums rather interesting. There's nothing wrong with learning frugal skills, even if you never practice many of them.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:22 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Sorry folks, but one of the definitions of retiring is never having (or wanting) to mow my own lawn and trim the shrubs ever again.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:45 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have a commercial zero turn mower, and it's actually fun (and enjoyable) to spend 45 minutes cutting my grass. Trimming shrubs is just a 20 minute job, and it only has to be done twice yearly.

And what's the big deal doing my own interior painting? I actually enjoy doing that too. But I'm not about to paint my entrance hall and living room with their 19' ceilings. That's when the pros come in.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:58 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I have a commercial zero turn mower, and it's actually fun (and enjoyable) to spend 45 minutes cutting my grass. Trimming shrubs is just a 20 minute job, and it only has to be done twice yearly.

And what's the big deal doing my own interior painting? I actually enjoy doing that too. But I'm not about to paint my entrance hall and living room with their 19' ceilings. That's when the pros come in.

+1

Retirement does not mean "lying flat" all the time and "let it rot", even though you can afford to.

Without any physical activities, the retirement may not last long, although some like to do things that take money to do, instead of things that save money.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Way too extreme for me. Plus I need more creature comforts and not less as I age).
+1
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Sorry folks, but one of the definitions of retiring is never having (or wanting) to mow my own lawn and trim the shrubs ever again.

I have a retired neighbor who mows his own yard, and quite frequently. I think it's one of his greatest joys. And he certainly has plenty of dough.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:39 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt49 View Post
Curious if anyone here previously, currently, or in the future plans to use the ERE (Early Retirement Extreme) philosophy/principles/guidelines as discussed here: http://earlyretirementextreme.com? I can't image living off $7,000 a year but I do recognize that I could cut out a lot of things if I had too.
Thanks for sharing earlyretirementextreme.com there was some very interesting reads beside the one you referred too.
Not sure I could live that cheaply just because of taxes, insurances, heating and food would cost more for a year for us.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:09 PM   #18

I'd have a go at it, while having 10x available if I got tired of pinching pennies
Ok that was fun for about a week :P
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:09 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
A slight disagreement, from my biased view retiring it is being able to choose if wants to mow their own lawn and trim their own shrubs, or pay someone else to do it . For some of us it is still an enjoyable pastime. Even if I do not mow to the "perfect pattern" discussion in another thread .
Old 06-26-2022, 10:27 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
+1

Retirement does not mean "lying flat" all the time and "let it rot", even though you can afford to.
In the Blue Zones areas where people live the longest, they get most of their exercise from just doing day to day activities like housework, gardening and walking.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote