Early Retirement -- The Canadian Way

Which is why we need a separate bike lane for cyclist (and I don't mean sidewalk). Half a car lane should do it, so cyclist can safely ride on the road. Why? Because some drivers don't seem to understand that they should treat cyclist as another vehicle.

The big problem isn't often the road lanes but the intersections. Sure the bike lanes can be safer but that won't fix the issue at intersections unless over- or under-passes are installed too. Oncoming cars that want to turn left while you are going straight through the intersection will often try and beat you even though you have the right of way. This can lead to being cut off (running into the side of the car) or the car running into your side. Cars going the same way but turning right will often not know that you're there (or do but don't care) and will turn into you.

Sharing the road with cars can be scary for cyclists. One guy I know commute to work by bike in Toronto and he got quite a few near-misses...

Yeah, I've been up on the hood of a cab before when he took the left turn into my side. It's not fun but unless there is some way to protect the intersections then most of this won't go away. It's the same for motorcycle riders too. "Cage" drivers are generally clueless and many treat it more like they are sitting on the couch in their living room rather than that they are guiding a potentially dangerous vehicle.

Call me weird but I actually like Europe and Europeans.

I remember thinking that if I am not a Canadian citizen, I would like very much to be a Swiss or a Swedish. (Too bad I don't speak fluent French or Swedish).

I think Sweden has one of the highest, if not the highest, rate of suicide in the world. FWIW, their tap water is the best I've ever tasted. Swiss water tastes great too. FWIW, I like to drink water.

And you can rob a bank with a baguette and enjoy life in a prison thats nicer than a lot of vacation spots in the rest of the world!
:D

Jane comes across as a leftist. It is a comfort to me that we are located in a different countries :) And BTW,
Canada would find it's way onto my poop list strictly
based upon its gun laws. I really don't need to know anything else. I will go further. That (gun laws) is
my acid test for any location to reside or visit.

JG

Oh John, dont poop on Jane. Besides, she's probably a hottie that would make your old tongue fall out of your mouth as you drove your old pickup by her in the bike lane. :-*

Nothing but hard core out my way - obscure back lane out of the city - usually a group of guys pedaling away with spandex uni's - sometimes with a pace car holding a spare bike. They get really active come spring and summer.

Back
Top Bottom